MP-4210 Live Commercial Skip (1 Viewer)

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
September 12, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Please help test out live commercial skip detection for Media Portal 1. Live Commercial Skip detection uses .edl files, so we'll need to edit our comskip.ini file to make sure we get the right kind of files. This maintains legacy support of .txt commercial files as well.

1. Find your comskip.ini file and open it in notepad or similar. Edit the line output_edl=0 to output_edl=1 and update live_tv=0 to live_tv=1.
2. If you use Comskip launcher make sure you've set when to start as Recording Start
3. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\ rename MediaPortal.exe to MediaPortal.exe.old and paste the attached MediaPortal.exe file in that folder
4. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\ rename Core.dll to Core.dll.old and paste the attached Core.dll in that folder
5. If you use RSTP you'll need to stop the TVService and then go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\ and rename the TVService.exe to TVService.exe.old and paste the attached TVService.exe in that folder. Restart the TVService
6. If you use RSTP you'll need to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\Windows and rename TVPlugin.dll to TVPlugin.dll.old and paste the attached TVPlugin.dll in that folder.
7. You'll want to configure some buttons to use the new actions to give you better control of Commercial Skipping. This is done in the Media Portal Configuration
a. ACTION_TOGGLE_AUTO_COMMERCIAL_SKIP - Allows you to toggle auto commercial skipping on and off during a show. This is necessary for the next action to work.
b. ACTION_STEP_BACK_PREVIOUS_JUMP - Allows you to skip back to the place you jumped from, which is very useful for an errorneous detection. Make sure you toggle off auto commercial skip first otherwise you'll jump again right away.

Let me know how it goes!

** EDIT **
Updated the branch with current master.
Updated installer based on 1.9 Pre Release can be downloaded here >> HERE <<

Attachments

• MP-4210 Binaries.zip
    1.9 MB
Last edited by a moderator:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

I forget to upload log about my issue with you branch (when changing channel, on new channel i have old timishift file from previous channel or directly the old channel)
    It like i have a (i don't find the word in english lol) offset maybe of one channel.
    For example :
    Tune CH1 -> black screen -> Tune CH2 (Here CH1 is displayed) -> Tune CH3 (Here CH2 is displayed)
    Or
    Tune CH1 -> CH1 is displayed -> Tune CH2 (CH1 is displayed for a while or always but most of the time CH2 appear after 30/1 min) -> etc.

It seems to happen when i have a delay to decrypt my channel (related to my CAM or something) and then i run into those issue.
    I also notice that for Example ARTE channel (has multiple tuning and then the delay is increase when the first tuning detail failed CAM or whatever and then a second tuning detail is tuned).

Without the branch, i didn't run into such issue. (I need to resetup the configuration with multiple tuning details to reproduce the issue and supply log).

I think for user where the channel is decrypted directly (so FTA channel or only 1 tuning detail), we didn't run into the issue i describe :).

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

I forget to upload log about my issue with you branch (when changing channel, on new channel i have old timishift file from previous channel or directly the old channel)
    It like i have a (i don't find the word in english lol) offset maybe of one channel.
    For example :
    Tune CH1 -> black screen -> Tune CH2 (Here CH1 is displayed) -> Tune CH3 (Here CH2 is displayed)
    Or
    Tune CH1 -> CH1 is displayed -> Tune CH2 (CH1 is displayed for a while or always but most of the time CH2 appear after 30/1 min) -> etc.

It seems to happen when i have a delay to decrypt my channel (related to my CAM or something) and then i run into those issue.
    I also notice that for Example ARTE channel (has multiple tuning and then the delay is increase when the first tuning detail failed CAM or whatever and then a second tuning detail is tuned).

Without the branch, i didn't run into such issue. (I need to resetup the configuration with multiple tuning details to reproduce the issue and supply log).

I think for user where the channel is decrypted directly (so FTA channel or only 1 tuning detail), we didn't run into the issue i describe :).
    When you don't use this branch, do you turn off live commercial skip as well? This issue you describe may have nothing to do with the branch, rather it's an issue with using comskip for live detection, as more resources are required and opening and closing files takes more time.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I don't use comskip lol :)
    If i'm not wrong, when i revert this branch all was ok, it seems that something is done on timeshift. (trigger by this branch)
    Will provide log :)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Now this is working really nice for me with UNC paths (no RTSP).
    I started a recording (commercial was on that time) and waited about 10 minutes. Then started playback of the recording and checked the OSD, which shows a nice detection of the commercial:
    CommercialDetected.png
    After a couple of seconds it auto-skipped till after the commercial:
    CommercialSkipped.png

Nice work!! I always record the shows and start watching 30/45 minutes later, because i HATE those commercials :)
    Now skipping is done automatically also, so nice job @sccrgoalie1 (y)

And some time later the 2nd commercial is also detected:
    17-28-23.png :p

Then tried to delete the recording >> Failed (obviously it's locked by ComSkip), but it did end the recording.
    10 seconds later i could manually delete it. (y)

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Will this replace comskip? aka commercial skipping for free?? :)
    Nope, ComSkip is NEEDED for this to work properly ;)
    But since ComSkip is free (or purchased for $10++ for a lifetime), you can have it for (almost) free.

krokusmtl

Portal Member
    April 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I tried it by changing the 2 files as per the instruction. Single seat.
    When starting mediaportal.exe I get a critical error "failed to load your language!" then black screen
    MediaPortal Configuration crashes right away.

That would awesome if we could get this to work.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there a target version for this feature to be implemented into the MePo main branch? Hilarious stuff!

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Target dates are mostly listed in JIRA.
    Thread title references to the JIRA Issue key > MP1-4210
    Fix Version/s: 1.7.100 (1.8 Pre Release)

So if all goes well and everything is tested properly, it will be included in about 3 months.

So test and report please! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom