[Bug] MP crashes during recording playback (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just experienced the same crash, I think.
    attached my logs.
    My roommate experienced the crash, het told me he was not doing anything special. Have checked the logs a bit myself but couldn't find anything special.

Logs doesn't show anything interesting. Please tell what exactly happened and what the error dialog was showing (if not possible then we are going to ignore the specific case this time).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I just experienced the crash to desktop, so the SVN TsReader is not any safer.

1) HTPC was resumed from S3
    2) playback of recorded video was started -> stop
    3) playback of 2nd recorded video was started -> crash

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just experienced the same crash, I think.
    attached my logs.
    My roommate experienced the crash, het told me he was not doing anything special. Have checked the logs a bit myself but couldn't find anything special.

Logs doesn't show anything interesting. Please tell what exactly happened and what the error dialog was showing (if not possible then we are going to ignore the specific case this time).

:D Tourettes. I'll keep an eye out for something more usefull for you if I can find it.
    Consider it a fluke for now.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I just had the crash. Watched a recording and pressed "Y" to hide the channelbar with name of the programme etc. Runnin RC1 (25080):

Problemsignatur:
    Navn på problemhændelse: BEX
    Programnavn: MediaPortal.exe
    Programversion: 1.0.5.0
    Tidsstempel for program: 4b9e764c
    Fejlmodulnavn: mscorwks.dll
    Fejlmodulversion: 2.0.50727.4927
    Tidsstempel for fejlmodul: 4a275a68
    Undtagelsesforskydning: 0025b326
    Undtagelseskode: c0000409
    Undtagelsesdata: 00000000
    OS-version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Landestandard-id: 1030
    Flere oplysninger 1: 8eae
    Flere oplysninger 2: 8eaeef1c116c7382a1a0feade94afd1c
    Flere oplysninger 3: f786
    Flere oplysninger 4: f7866ee73da5c9267fc2ecdd78b8f4d2

Læs erklæringen om beskyttelse af personlige oplysninger online:
    Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

Hvis onlineerklæringen om beskyttelse af personlige oplysninger ikke er tilgængelig, kan du læse den erklæring om beskyttelse af personlige oplysninger, som er offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\da-DK\erofflps.txt

Debugging the error with Visual Studio 2008 gives this clue to buffer overflow (as you already know):
    A buffer overrun has occurred in MediaPortal.exe which has corrupted the program's internal state. Press Break to debug the program or Continue to terminate the program.

For more details please see Help topic 'How to debug Buffer Overrun Issues'.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I just had the crash. Watched a recording and pressed "Y" to hide the channelbar with name of the programme etc. Runnin RC1 (25080):

Sounds odd, as that shouldn't trigger TsReader bug in any way (maybe a bad luck with the timing and it felt like that it was causing teh crash).

- How long had you been watching already?
    - Was there some audio / video blackout before the crash? (looping audio maybe?)

... please spend 30 minutes trying to reproduce the issue (I know it is much to be asked, but we need to find a way to reproduce the issue, otherwise the bug wont get fixed. I cannot find a way to reproduce it on my dev PC).

Also please post all logs, maybe they show something interesting (which I doubt in anyway).

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I've seen MP crashing to desktop as well.
    But very, very, very rarely (once every 2 weeks of heavy useage i would say).

No clue at all what causes it - but definitly NOT TsReader, since it occured with avis and mkvs as well!-

It always occures when i start to play a video. I never seen MP crashing inside MyTv.
    After a crash occured I:
    • started MP and did start/stop the same file (which caused it minutes ago) for 20 times in a row. No crash. :confused:
    • tried to reproduce all the steps I did before the crash occured - and it still did not happen again. :confused:

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Sounds odd, as that shouldn't trigger TsReader bug in any way (maybe a bad luck with the timing and it felt like that it was causing teh crash).

- Was there some audio / video blackout before the crash? (looping audio maybe?)

... please spend 30 minutes trying to reproduce the issue (I know it is much to be asked, but we need to find a way to reproduce the issue, otherwise the bug wont get fixed. I cannot find a way to reproduce it on my dev PC).

Also please post all logs, maybe they show something interesting (which I doubt in anyway).

This was a "live" recording that I began playing back after recording around 7 minutes. I then skipped a bit forward and back, and when I got to the place where the programme started it felt like a good time to show and then hide the OSD.

I think the video froze on me.

From what I can tell, showing or hiding the OSD seems to stress the system a bit, I have framedrops (using Shift + 1) when I press "Y". This may have triggered the crash, or it may, as you say, have been a coincidence.

I'll try and provoke this to happen and grab logs while they are valid ;)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Wow. Just created the crash on my XP box (also RC1 / SVN 25080).

I played a 1080i .ts file that I have used as a test-file for many months.

Logs attached.

I used the pause key (space) and key-arrows randomly along with "Y" to show/hide OSD for ~ 2 minutes.

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

I have also got this bug when bringing up the TV "menu" in the bottom which shows progress bar etc. (I think it is called TV OSD?). It might have been a coincidence but I don't believe in such :)

I have tried several times (maybe 10 times) to reproduce the chain of events to get the bug but it never works; it never hangs on demand.

Is there no other way to debug this, sorry for my ignorance but i have no experience in debugging windows applications, but is there no way to save everything on the stack or to follow what code that was running before the crash etc. Is it possible to add extensive logging with time stamps in the code around the unsafe parts and/or suspected changes since before RC1?

Maybe it's time to add this to the bug tracker as well since the bug is imo really serious and affecting users regardless off OS, codecs and such so I suppose this must be solved before going final.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    No clue at all what causes it - but definitly NOT TsReader, since it occured with avis and mkvs as well!-

Are you sure that you haven't been playing a recording / live tv before starting the avi/mkv? It would be good if we could for 101% sure rule out the TsReader.ax, since it would reduce the amount of code where the bug is located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom