[Bug] MP crashes during recording playback (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    No clue at all what causes it - but definitly NOT TsReader, since it occured with avis and mkvs as well!-

Are you sure that you haven't been playing a recording / live tv before starting the avi/mkv?
    Yes.
    These crashes occured without playing a *.ts file, or viewing LiveTV.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    No clue at all what causes it - but definitly NOT TsReader, since it occured with avis and mkvs as well!-

Are you sure that you haven't been playing a recording / live tv before starting the avi/mkv?
    Yes.
    These crashes occured without playing a *.ts file, or viewing LiveTV.

Do you remember any more information?

- did it happen right after the start up of playback?
    - did playback work correctly or was there a black screen / looping audio?
    - did you toggle OSD
    - did you use skip steps?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Is there no other way to debug this, sorry for my ignorance but i have no experience in debugging windows applications, but is there no way to save everything on the stack or to follow what code that was running before the crash etc. Is it possible to add extensive logging with time stamps in the code around the unsafe parts and/or suspected changes since before RC1?

Following could help to catch some more information. Debugging/MemoryDump - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

Maybe it's time to add this to the bug tracker as well since the bug is imo really serious and affecting users regardless off OS, codecs and such so I suppose this must be solved before going final.

I agree that this must be fixed for 1.1.0. If it wont get fixed, I'll have to revert my own HTPC to 1.0.2 since this error brings the stability pretty much close to zero... and the stability is #1 thing I (and hopefully many others) are needing from HTPC application.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there no other way to debug this, sorry for my ignorance but i have no experience in debugging windows applications, but is there no way to save everything on the stack or to follow what code that was running before the crash etc. Is it possible to add extensive logging with time stamps in the code around the unsafe parts and/or suspected changes since before RC1?

Following could help to catch some more information. Debugging/MemoryDump - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

Maybe it's time to add this to the bug tracker as well since the bug is imo really serious and affecting users regardless off OS, codecs and such so I suppose this must be solved before going final.

I agree that this must be fixed for 1.1.0. If it wont get fixed, I'll have to revert my own HTPC to 1.0.2 since this error brings the stability pretty much close to zero... and the stability is #1 thing I (and hopefully many others) are needing from HTPC application.

I have been using RC1+SVN on my main system since it was released. Watching TV, playing videos, starting and stopping, and I have not seen this issue at all. I will try to reproduce it, but I guess it would be nice to find out what is different between our systems that mine is stable.

Mark

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have been using RC1+SVN on my main system since it was released. Watching TV, playing videos, starting and stopping, and I have not seen this issue at all. I will try to reproduce it, but I guess it would be nice to find out what is different between our systems that mine is stable.

when looking at the systems there doesn't seem to be anything in common (XP vs Windows 7 is already differentiating the systems really nicely).

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    selected the file -> "okay" on remote -> [some cases screen is black for less than a second ->] crash
    Playback of the selcted video did not start - no video/audio shown - crashed instantly
    - did you toggle OSD
    Crash always occurs right on playbackstart.
    Never while watching. No matter if skipsteps/FFW/FRW/OSD is used - or even if you go to EPG while playback in progress.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    selected the file -> "okay" on remote -> [some cases screen is black for less than a second ->] crash
    Playback of the selcted video did not start - no video/audio shown - crashed instantly
    - did you toggle OSD
    Never while watching. No matter if skipsteps/FFW/FRW/OSD is used - or even if you go to EPG while playback in progress.

Fits quite well in... now as a request everyone who has been seeing the crash, please ignore tv side completely and try to trigger the issue with my videos plugin with anything else than TS files!. This will already limit the possible buggy code 75% or even more.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

My roomie had the same experience from what he told me.
    I can try testing on my videos with the file that caused the crash before. Maybe in conjunction with a fastly put together autohotkey script or something that automates the process (kinda have to jump into that first though)

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

This part differs from my crashes then. It is always after playback has started anything from 2-30 minutes. Today I got something even more strange. I was watching a MKV from TV-series plugin. I stopped the video. And after about 30-40 seconds I got the same crash but the video was not even playing?! The TV-series plugin do switch fanart in the background so my feeling was that this happened when the background image switched. Tried to reproduce the issue by stopping video playback and wait for a couple of minutes at least 20 times but it did not come back.

I will look in to the crash dump thing later on and try to provide more data from the crashes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom