[Bug] MP crashes during recording playback (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I am assuming the MP team do not have an account to see the crashes as a result of mediaportal.exe (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/maintain/StartWER.mspx) as I would have thought a Verisign ID would be too costly?

Would the hdmp and mdmp files from the crash(es) be of any use??
    bump these two bits. I think the two dump files were fairly big (300MB?) but I have three sets if this will help at all??

No, we don't have access to that :(

if you have some dump files, you can use that FTP site for uploading:

Address: ftp.team-mediaportal.com
    Login: tsdump@team-mediaportal.com
    Password: mpuser88

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    if you have some dump files, you can use that FTP site for uploading:
    the imaginatively named crash1.zip is there now with crash2.zip following (looks like temp files for third crash have been cleared down)

They are about 30MB each not 300MB btw.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Had another crash last evening

1) live tv on
    2) started a playback of recorded show

after few seconds later -> crash. Need to compare the logs to a working case, maybe it will give some pointer what part of the code might be causing it.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    not sure if this is relevant or not but each time it crashes with this error (which is getting to be once or twice a day now....) it seems to take out my HDMI connection with it and I have to VNC in to sort this out.

When it just crashed and I connected via VNC (as HDMI connection was lost) it said screen res has reset to 1280x720 when standard res (and what it was before crash) was 1920x1080

markius

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Maidstone, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Just wanted to add to this thread... I've seen a similar problem.
    This is in the event log:
    Code:
    Fault bucket 1766875492, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: MediaPortal.exe
    P2: 1.0.5.25080
    P3: 4b7ec105
    P4: unknown
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 00000000
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 8b2a74c0
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:
    C:\Users\MediaPC\AppData\Local\Temp\WER98CF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\MediaPC\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_MediaPortal.exe_1eed8cc5e6537944e63f6753f42b278cc96d8_0dbebea2

It seems to me that this crash occurs whilst watching TV and having a recording start in the background.

2 things that I think are relevant:
    1. I have MP configured to show a notification whenever a recording starts
    2. The crash doesn't actually kill MP. I have the "Mediaportal.exe has stopped working" dialogue box visible but I can still use Mediaportal.

Apologies if this isn't relevant to the issue being discussed. I'l try and grab logs next time that this happens.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just wanted to add to this thread... I've seen a similar problem.
    This is in the event log:
    Code:
    Fault bucket 1766875492, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: MediaPortal.exe
    P2: 1.0.5.25080
    P3: 4b7ec105
    P4: unknown
    P5: 0.0.0.0
    P6: 00000000
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 8b2a74c0
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:
    C:\Users\MediaPC\AppData\Local\Temp\WER98CF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\MediaPC\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_MediaPortal.exe_1eed8cc5e6537944e63f6753f42b278cc96d8_0dbebea2

It seems to me that this crash occurs whilst watching TV and having a recording start in the background.

2 things that I think are relevant:
    1. I have MP configured to show a notification whenever a recording starts
    2. The crash doesn't actually kill MP. I have the "Mediaportal.exe has stopped working" dialogue box visible but I can still use Mediaportal.

Apologies if this isn't relevant to the issue being discussed. I'l try and grab logs next time that this happens.

I have notifications on as well on my clients, but I could recreate the issue on a PC that doesn't have the TV-part installed and is not connected to a TV-Server...

Arador

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 3, 2007
    North Queensland
    Home Country
    Hi All,
    My first post and possibly a solution.....woohoo! :)

I'll start out by saying I had almost exactly the same problem described in the first post. Random but frequent crashes in MP, mainly while in the TV client, but sometimes while playing a video file. Typically the video would freeze, the last sec or 2 of audio would loop for about 20sec, then the Error Report crash dialog would appear with Send or Don't Send. The error logs would mention mscorwks.dll which is .NET related. In fact I had this problem with 1.02, which led me to rebuild and try 1.1 RC1. But with my first attempt I still had the same problem. MP 1.1 crashed within 10min, just watching live TV....and I hadn't loaded any codecs, just MP with it's built-in codecs. I had also tried a multitude of codec combinations with no success. I have not purchased PowerDVD so I had always gravitated back to the nVidia PureVideo Decoder 1.02.233, as it had better picture quality for me.

I think that NOT loading MS KB971633 was the key....but read on.

For those that want the full step by step....here is what I did, with the help of Storagecraft ShadowProtect (a great disk imaging\snapshot app). I have an Asus P5B m/b and an nVidia 7950GT card btw.

1. Installed a fresh XP SP3 x86 build.
    2. Installed all my hardware drivers, along with nVidia Forceware 196.21.
    3. Installed latest DirectX 9.0c (Feb 2010).
    4. Installed Microsoft Dot Net Frameworks 1.1, 2.0 and 3.5 SP1
    5. Installed all the latest Windows Updates from Microsoft online site, including IE8 and WMP 11.
    6. Took a Full Image with SP.
    7. Loaded MP 1.1 RC1 as single seat.
    8. Loaded latest TVSeries & Moving Pictures.
    9. Did a complete MP configuration including TVServer and Plugins.
    10. Took an Incremental Image. (From this point you can play with codecs and roll back if it screws up).
    11. Installed SAF_Key.exe (thanks hoborg) and then SAF 4.0 final.
    12. I did NOT install KB971633 (the quartz.dll patch) as instructed on the old SAF setup page (looks like this page was just updated today). I think this may be important.
    13. Configure MP to use PowerDVD for MPEG2 in Videos, TV & DVD, FFDShow for the rest.
    14. Enjoy!

Sorry for being a bit long winded but sometimes missing one step can make the difference.

What I think fixed it was not loading KB971633 (this was not installed by doing the normal online Windows Update). But is also possible that unlocking the SAF 4.0 was the solution. I did both steps together so I can't be sure.
    At one stage I thought it was the nVidia PureVideo codec but I disproved that when it crashed with just the MP built-ins.

At it's worst, MP was crashing at least once every hour. I have now had MP running for 6 days without a single crash :D

There you go, hope this works for some of you with the same issue...while you still have hair left!
    Now I'm off to donate
    :D to all the crew for this amazing app.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I think that NOT loading MS KB971633 was the key....but read on.

Hate to disappoint you Arador, this is effecting Vista\Win7 users as well, which the above update has no relation too.

Glad you seem to not be having the problems seen by others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom