MP Crashes every time I turn TV off - than back on (windows program error) (1 Viewer)

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have ordered the Dr HDMI, but I am tempted to try @andraves' solution. I did see this before (as per my previous posts) but have never tried it.
    @Domarkas: Many logs have been provided but this only occurs when there is an amp which none of the devs have so are unable to reproduce. I now believe that this is not a problem with MP (even though I never had the problem in 1.3) and is a problem with the way Windows 7 handles the HDMI handshake (as detailed in depth by the thread that andraves posted and has been posted before).

I also just found this thread which is really the same issue as this one.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/htpc-hdmi-win7-and-its-many-issues.109242/page-18
    as @johanj says in post #173, the Dr HDMI just works so I think I'll stick with that.
    In the meantime it's clear that MP crashes or had crashed by the handling of hot-plug windows is doing. But the crashing is a problem of MP. What would you say if word or exel or opera crashes in the same situation?

And BTW what latest version did you use last time you saw a crash we talking about?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    First help to help to fix it is to be able to reproduce it :)
    For now i can't but yes, maybe some part of MP can try to catch the error when it happen but maybe .NET can't handle it properly too (but it's not sure, only my voice here lol).

So yes i'm talking for me, if i was able to reproduce it, maybe i can try to fix it :)

Does it happen if we remove HDMI cable and put in back while MP is running ?

Maybe it was already said but can someone try different step by step to trigger the error (standby or not etc.)

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First help to help to fix it is to be able to reproduce it :)
    For now i can't but yes, maybe some part of MP can try to catch the error when it happen but maybe .NET can't handle it properly too (but it's not sure, only my voice here lol).

So yes i'm talking for me, if i was able to reproduce it, maybe i can try to fix it :)

Does it happen if we remove HDMI cable and put in back while MP is running ?

Maybe it was already said but can someone try different step by step to trigger the error (standby or not etc.)

Hello Sebastiii,
    the best way to cooperate and learn from each other. And what we can learn here as a minimal consense is that it happens while hot-plug detect.
    I will provide you with more infos in a few days after I have setting up a reproducable test system.
    :)

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Sebastiii,
    the best way to cooperate and learn from each other. And what we can learn here as a minimal consense is that it happens while hot-plug detect.
    I will provide you with more infos in a few days after I have setting up a reproducable test system.
    :)

Here the first log done with watchdog:

System Setup:
    WinXP SP3
    AMD Radeon HD 3450 HDMI
    connected via HDMI to TV LG32LH4010
    MP 1.6 final
    Theme: Titan, no modification

Crash environment:
    1. TV was off for 30 Min
    2. MP was in screen "MediaPortal - TV" (Fernsehen ger. ) while switching TV to off
    3. waiting 30 Min
    4. Switch TV on --> doing a hot-plug-detect
    5. Crash Error Message Box: "MediaPortal muss beendet werden" (MP had to be closed)

Ressourcen of this crashreport:
    1.Log-File by watchdog
    2. screenshot sample, only for orientation which screen was active while crash

Just started the next test.

Attachments

• Screen_while_crasch_hot-plug TV on_2014_04_24.png
      Screen_while_crasch_hot-plug TV on_2014_04_24.png
      97.6 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Will analyse log but i can't really reproduce it on XP.
    Are you able to do the same on Win8 ?

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Will analyse log but i can't really reproduce it on XP.
    Are you able to do the same on Win8 ?

Not 8 but 7 in a few days.

Even if you can't reproduce on XP I am shure you will get a clue what happens at hot-plug while beeing on the described MP-screen (fullscreen) I hope.
    Keep me informed please for what are your thoughts. Keep up the comm.
    In the meantime I test along on XP.
    THX.:)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Domarkas
    FYI XP is not supported since MP 1.4. So, it is really important that you can reproduce the problem and provide logs for Vista/7/8.

[edit: ...and in fact - surprise surprise - it seems your logs show a totally different problem compared with other logs posted here. Looks like MP crashes on standby (not on resume) for you.
    "24.04.2014 17:31:15";".NET Runtime";"(0)";"Error";"Application: mediaportal.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 79235CA8 (79140000) with exit code 80131506.
    ";"1023"
    "24.04.2014 17:31:18";".NET Runtime 4.0 Error Reporting";"(0)";"Error";"Faulting application mediaportal.exe, version 1.6.0.0, stamp 52b77bd2, faulting module clr.dll, version 4.0.30319.1022, stamp 52ccf666, debug? 0, fault address 0x000f5ca8.";"1000"
    ]

Last edited:

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Domarkas
    FYI XP is not supported since MP 1.4. So, it is really important that you can reproduce the problem and provide logs for Vista/7/8.

[edit: ...and in fact - surprise surprise - it seems your logs show a totally different problem compared with other logs posted here. Looks like MP crashes on standby (not on resume) for you.
    "24.04.2014 17:31:15";".NET Runtime";"(0)";"Error";"Application: mediaportal.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 79235CA8 (79140000) with exit code 80131506.
    ";"1023"
    "24.04.2014 17:31:18";".NET Runtime 4.0 Error Reporting";"(0)";"Error";"Faulting application mediaportal.exe, version 1.6.0.0, stamp 52b77bd2, faulting module clr.dll, version 4.0.30319.1022, stamp 52ccf666, debug? 0, fault address 0x000f5ca8.";"1000"
    ]

Hi there,
    1. I will provide you the results of testing with XP while the the next 2 days. And we will see what the problem is. After that I will set up a win 7 Client.
    2. Pls tell me exactly why logs of a XP client are not to use?
    3. You speak about standby: what standby? This client goes NOT to any standby at all!
    Please clarify exactly what standby you mean? Windows or some cards or what?
    And I am not believing that we have here an other case than HOT_PLUG_DETECTION! What in detail is the problem in MP with Hot-Plug and changing res, is a problem inside MP. And that is why everybody here wants a solution.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1. I will provide you the results of testing with XP while the the next 2 days. And we will see what the problem is. After that I will set up a win 7 Client.
    2. Pls tell me exactly why logs of a XP client are not to use?
    It is not that the XP client logs are no use. Simply: XP is not supported. We don't fix problems with it anymore. If you want the team to provide support (fix problems) then please show that your problem also occurs on Vista or later with latest GPU drivers. Otherwise we can waste lots of time trying to fix a problem that does not exist except in XP. XP display and HDMI handling is very different to Vista+...

3. You speak about standby: what standby? This client goes NOT to any standby at all!
    Please clarify exactly what standby you mean? Windows or some cards or what?
    You're right - my mistake.
    What I should have said:
    Looks like MP crashes on going to idle or turning TV off.

You said:
    Crash environment:
    1. TV was off for 30 Min
    2. MP was in screen "MediaPortal - TV" (Fernsehen ger. ) while switching TV to off
    3. waiting 30 Min
    4. Switch TV on --> doing a hot-plug-detect
    5. Crash Error Message Box: "MediaPortal muss beendet werden" (MP had to be closed)

The logs are showing the crash is occurring at step 2, not step 4.
    [2014-04-24 17:19:44,406] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TVHome:turn tv off
    [2014-04-24 17:19:48,421] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED)
    [2014-04-24 17:19:48,437] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED)
    [2014-04-24 17:19:48,468] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED)
    [2014-04-24 17:19:48,500] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED)
    [2014-04-24 17:21:10,937] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED)
    [2014-04-24 17:24:49,281] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Idle timer is entering power save mode after 300 seconds of inactivity
    [2014-04-24 17:24:49,281] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - GraphicContext: MP will render at 5 FPS, use animations = True
    [2014-04-24 17:31:18,718] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_ACTIVATE (WA_INACTIVE)
    [2014-04-24 17:31:18,718] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Deactivation request received
    [2014-04-24 17:31:18,718] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - D3D: OnLostFocus()
    [2014-04-24 17:31:18,718] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_ACTIVATE (WA_ACTIVE)
    [2014-04-24 17:31:18,718] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Activation request received
    [2014-04-24 17:31:18,718] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - D3D: OnGotFocus()
    [2014-04-24 17:31:18,843] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - D3D: OnPaint()
    ...and then CRASH.
    Unless your 30 minutes was actually 10 minutes, the crash is not occurring when you turn the TV on (hot plug). It is occurring 10 minutes after the TV was turned off.

Other people have said they have no problem with turning the TV off. For example, Kevin's problem comes when his TV is turned back on.

To be clear, my point is that your problem looks different to the other reports, and since you are using XP it could be a problem that only occurs with XP.

And I am not believing that we have here an other case than HOT_PLUG_DETECTION! What in detail is the problem in MP with Hot-Plug and changing res, is a problem inside MP. And that is why everybody here wants a solution.
    You can choose not to believe me, but the logs don't lie. Your expectation about when the crash is occurring seems to be wrong.

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is not that the XP client logs are no use. Simply: XP is not supported. We don't fix problems with it anymore. If you want the team to provide support (fix problems) then please show that your problem also occurs on Vista or later with latest GPU drivers. Otherwise we can waste lots of time trying to fix a problem that does not exist except in XP. XP display and HDMI handling is very different to Vista+...

In this time I haven't waste your time, because I was sure that you can help me understanding the log better than me self. And so it is.

So after you clarified what you mean by standby we see in LOG:

Main: Idle timer is entering power save mode after 300 seconds of inactivity

You can choose not to believe me, but the logs don't lie. Your expectation about when the crash is occurring seems to be wrong.

Now I am learned that from you thank you and sorry not believing before learning.(y)

OK and now the following questions comes up:

1. Why? What? How? MP can't stand this build-in feature? Just for understanding, what your thoughts are with this problem.

and more important......

2. What to do?

I hope you will help me to learn again.:)

In the meantime I have switched off Idle-setting and will test it in a sequence for the next 2 days. Then I will set up a win 7 client.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom