[solved] MP will not delete recordings that are on NAS (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've moved a load of my old recordings onto a NAS to clear space on my internal drive. I've pointed the recording directory of an unused tuner at the NAS so all the old recordings appear in the list in MP and can be watched. All good so far...

But MP can't delete recordings that are on the NAS. It says "failed to delete recording". The NAS path is UNC (\\mynas\media\oldrecordings) and I can delete files from here through Windows file explorer on the same machine. Is there some way to see what user MP is trying to use to connect to the NAS (could it be different from the one file explorer is using?). Or any other suggestions? I've had a look in the logs and it doesn't seem to write anything relating to this. Log attached anyway just in case it helps.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_02_01_20__11_30.zip
      3 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I've pointed the recording directory of an unused tuner at the NAS so all the old recordings appear in the list in MP and can be watched ... But MP can't delete recordings that are on the NAS ... Is there some way to see what user MP is trying to use to connect to the NAS
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I store most of my TV recordings on a NAS, and I can use the MP client to delete recordings from the NAS. However, my setup is a bit different from yours.

In particular, I have not defined the NAS as a recording location in "TV Server Config". Instead, I have defined the NAS as a video location in "MP Config". This means that the recordings appear in the "Videos" section of MP, and not in the "Recorded TV" section.

If you cannot get your preferred setup to work, possibly the above is an acceptable workaround.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Thanks for that @CyberSimian . I want the old recordings to appear in "recordings" if possible, so it looks the same for the users (family). My hope was that they would all eventually be deleted, then I can get rid of the extra directory.

If I put them under Videos like you have, does MP still pick up the descriptions from the XML files, or will it display just the filename?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    If I put them under Videos like you have, does MP still pick up the descriptions from the XML files, or will it display just the filename?
    When you move a TS file from the "Recorded TV" section of MP to the "Videos" section, you should also move the XML file, and (if you have thumbnails enabled) the JPG file. The moved file is still listed in "Recorded TV", but it is not playable (since it no longer resides there). You need to use the "Cleanup recordings" button on the left side menu of the "Recorded TV" panel. The wording on the pop-up is intimidating, but click "Yes" and continue to the selection menu and choose to delete "Invalid recordings".

The "Videos" section displays similar information to the "Recorded TV" section, but it is not identical. Example: the channel name is missing (unless it forms part of the file name), but the important programme description is present. One property that is not preserved when you move files is the percentage-watched value. It is reset to zero. If you move a lot of files (several hundred), there will be a noticeable pause on first entry, as MP has to read every file (but it does this only once).

You can have multiple disparate folders in the "Videos" section, so some folders can be on the HTPC, while other folders are on the NAS. The "Videos" section also allows you to arrange files into a folder tree that is meaningful to you. Example: you could put all of the "Star Wars" movies into a single folder, even though they do not have identical names (you cannot group them this way in "Recorded TV").

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Cool - I didn't know it did that. If I can't work out the original problem I'll try using Videos instead.

On the original "can't delete off the nas" problem, I've poked around a bit more today and confirmed that the connection to the NAS is using the correct user, so _should_ have rights to delete files... so I'm still stumped on that one.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    On the original "can't delete off the nas" problem, I've poked around a bit more today and confirmed that the connection to the NAS is using the correct user, so _should_ have rights to delete files... so I'm still stumped on that one.
    I am not a networking expert :(. But I think that it is the case that TV Server and the MP client operate under different user credentials (because TV Server is a service).

<speculation>When you try to delete from "Recorded TV" a file that is stored on the NAS, the MP client sends a message to TV Server asking TV Server to delete the file and update its recordings database. If TV Server does not have read/write access to the NAS, the delete will fail. In contrast, if several "Videos" folders reside on the NAS, and the MP client tries to delete a video file in one of those folders, the delete can succeed if the MP client has read/write access to the NAS; TV Server is not involved for files in the "Videos" section.</speculation>

It would be useful if someone who knew what they were talking about could explain how this works. :confused:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I do not know how the TV part works, but it is possible that the TV server, and not the TV Client, is engaged in deleting records. A TV server works as a service with its rights and its user and not always on the same client machine. Perhaps the problem is this.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll try updating MP when I get the chance and see if it's any better.

Regarding users, the MP client and TV Server do run under different Windows users, but the user they're connecting to the NAS with is the same one (as in the user on the NAS, not in Windows), and this user has full rights to that directory. It'll let me delete the files when connected as the same user through Windows file explorer, which is why I'm a bit stuck. TV Server can see the files on the NAS, so it must be logged in - and the only user connected to the NAS when I was testing it was the one that should have rights to delete files.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    and the only user connected to the NAS when I was testing it was the one that should have rights to delete files.
    Need Debug log with error when you delete file ... :) Otherwise, we will not be able to understand where and when the problem arises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom