1.10.0 [MP1-4578] Crashes after standby (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    @HTPC_Sourcer
    Can you give detailed Info about the Registry Path where you have changed the NOEDID Resolution? I would like to check that too.
    In short changing the NOEDID Resolution could fix the whole Problem without any Fix?!

Nope :) it will avoid to let windows set to native 1024x768, so it will keep to 1920x1080 but the branch has other fix against 1.9 or 1.10, when MP is not focused (so for ex another program take focus) MP can stay freezed, so this branch fix that point and try to fix or be friend with some faulty Intel driver but without a big success lol

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi guys,

Mz hypothesis is that the Intel drivers take some time to see the attached HDMI device. So upon starting up the graphics resolutiono will be taken from a different path. To check this out, please do the following:

• Open regedit.exe with Administrator privileges
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
    • You will see a couple of keys.
    • For NOEDID change PrimSurfeSiye.cx and cy in the first 00 sub key and ActiveSize.cx and cy in the second 00 section as shown in the screenshots.
    I did this also for the SIMULATED section but did not test it this is really necessary.

Key1.jpg

Key2.jpg

Happy testing.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    On my side, i didn't have the same key :)
    upload_2015-1-3_11-46-6.png

On the first MSNILNOEDID, it's already set to 1920.
    But on other not lol.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    But i have the same SIMULATED_8086 as you and it seems that better to set 1920 .... for all NOEDID and SIMULATE :)
    For sure this will avoid the screen to be change when HDMI is OFF :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For sure this will avoid the screen to be change when HDMI is OFF
    I used Windows Media Center for five years, and had this problem all of the time. With my hardware, this problem occurs when the HTPC wakes up to perform an unattended recording, and the TV is (of course) switched off. For WMC an easy workaround is possible, by going through the WMC screen setup procedure and explicitly selecting the screen resolution to be used (i.e. not letting WMC inherit the desktop's screen resolution). Simply starting WMC causes WMC explicitly to set that screen resolution. Problem solved! :)

Unfortunately, that workaround does not work for Media Portal -- MP inherits the desktop's screen resolution. :(

Recently (and quite by chance) I found a simple solution that works on my HTPC (and which does not seem to be described in the Wiki). I use an Nvidia GT610 graphics card, and a resized desktop of 1228x690 (reduced from 1280x720). This reduced resolution avoids the Windows task bar being almost completely hidden beneath the bezel of my TV screen. The solution is to specify that the graphics card is to perform rescaling, instead of allowing the TV to perform rescaling. Since making this change in the "Nvidia Control Panel" application, I have not had a single instance of Windows using the wrong screen resolution. :)

So, what is going on here? My speculation is that if the graphics card is going to perform the rescaling, the graphics driver knows what screen resolution to use (it is the resolution the user selected), and so can report this value to Windows when the HTPC wakes from sleep, even if the screen is not connected. But if the screen is to perform the rescaling, the driver does not know what screen resolution to report to Windows, and so reports "resolution unknown", resulting in Windows then choosing an inappropriate default resolution for the desktop.

Users of Nvidia graphics cards can try this for themselves, to see if this solution works for them. I do not know whether AMD or Intel graphics drivers have the same facility, or whether they work in the same way, but it might be worthwhile looking to see if such a setting exists, and trying it if it does.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep, MP react on Windows message (Resize / Move window etc.) and MP try to handle that.
    Maybe it can be avoid and force MP to a resolution and keep it that way. :)

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For sure this will avoid the screen to be change when HDMI is OFF
    I used Windows Media Center for five years, and had this problem all of the time. With my hardware, this problem occurs when the HTPC wakes up to perform an unattended recording, and the TV is (of course) switched off. For WMC an easy workaround is possible, by going through the WMC screen setup procedure and explicitly selecting the screen resolution to be used (i.e. not letting WMC inherit the desktop's screen resolution). Simply starting WMC causes WMC explicitly to set that screen resolution. Problem solved! :)

Unfortunately, that workaround does not work for Media Portal -- MP inherits the desktop's screen resolution. :(

Recently (and quite by chance) I found a simple solution that works on my HTPC (and which does not seem to be described in the Wiki). I use an Nvidia GT610 graphics card, and a resized desktop of 1228x690 (reduced from 1280x720). This reduced resolution avoids the Windows task bar being almost completely hidden beneath the bezel of my TV screen. The solution is to specify that the graphics card is to perform rescaling, instead of allowing the TV to perform rescaling. Since making this change in the "Nvidia Control Panel" application, I have not had a single instance of Windows using the wrong screen resolution. :)

So, what is going on here? My speculation is that if the graphics card is going to perform the rescaling, the graphics driver knows what screen resolution to use (it is the resolution the user selected), and so can report this value to Windows when the HTPC wakes from sleep, even if the screen is not connected. But if the screen is to perform the rescaling, the driver does not know what screen resolution to report to Windows, and so reports "resolution unknown", resulting in Windows then choosing an inappropriate default resolution for the desktop.

Users of Nvidia graphics cards can try this for themselves, to see if this solution works for them. I do not know whether AMD or Intel graphics drivers have the same facility, or whether they work in the same way, but it might be worthwhile looking to see if such a setting exists, and trying it if it does.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    I fixed this "overscan" where you changed you resolution for on my tv by setting picture size to "screen fit" instead of 16:9. I've also read somewhere you can set your source label to "PC" on some brands.

This way you can keep the native resolution and still have all the video on the screen:)

@Sebastiii I will give V30 a try and hope it's as stable as 29 and before was:) Would be nice if we can finally close this thread with a fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom