MP2 - V2.1 [MP2-635] Focus frame is on Home Button, when pressing "Currently Playing" button (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks, I wasn't understanding the original issue by the looks of it...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @Brownard,

Any news about this? ;)

As described the behavior is not consistent. If you launch TV, then exit back until you are in the initial tile view again, clicking on CP leads to the desired behavior, i.e. no jumpt to the home button. DO you have a TV card to reproduce the different things at your side? Otherwise I would need to provide more detailed descriptions in the different scenarios.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    For me the issue only happens when using the mouse, specifically when the cursor is within the group menu. Can you confirm that you don't see the issue if you just use the keyboard to navigate?
    It seems like a more general issue with the focus handling in MP2 and is going to take a bit of thought to fix properly...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can you confirm that you don't see the issue if you just use the keyboard to navigate?
    It is happening when using a remote, which I interpret as equivalent to the keyboard.

It seems like a more general issue with the focus handling in MP2 and is going to take a bit of thought to fix properly...
    So no immediate solution. No problem :)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here it happens also with keyboard and mouse. As the focus was jumping by selecting the CP button at first and now also for other buttons after your first commit, I don't think it's related to the focus handling in general. If it would be the focus handling it should have happened in both cases I think.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    I don't think it's related to the focus handling in general. If it would be the focus handling it should have happened in both cases I think.
    I'm pretty sure it is a focus issue. If you click a button in MP2 and it causes a screen switch, MP2 keeps a reference to the underlying item and restores the focus on that item when navigating back. This works fine when clicking a tile or an entry in a media item list for example because the underlying menu items don't change. The difference with the CP button is that it comes from the menu model (this is the same model that handles the entries in the hidden menus, etc) and the menu model rebuilds its list every time the screen changes (because different actions become visible, e.g. showing the filter and sort entries in media views). This means that the focus can't be restored because the references are no longer equal because the list has been rebuilt. Consequently MP2 gives the focus to the first focusable item in the visual tree, which happens to be the home button.
    As the focus was jumping by selecting the CP button at first and now also for other buttons after your first commit,
    I'm struggling to see how my commit could have made it worse, it literally just stops the CP button doing anything if you are already on the CP screen, before if you clicked it it would try and execute the action which caused a menu update, rebuilding the group menu and causing the focus to jump. It should not change any behaviour when navigating back, forward or between groups. I have tested this with a build pre my commits and didn't see any change in behaviour, can you try a build from before my commits and verify that there is actually a change?

EDIT: Can you also test that if you move the focus outside the group menu on the CP screen, e.g. focus one of the tab buttons, then press back/ESC that the focus doesn't jump back to the home button?

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer Could you check it? :notworthy: I changed my DB already to MP2.2 and won't be able to test previous builds without effort :(

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    EDIT: Can you also test that if you move the focus outside the group menu on the CP screen, e.g. focus one of the tab buttons, then press back/ESC that the focus doesn't jump back to the home button?
    Not sure, if I understood correctly. I did following in Win10 theme (easier to see than BV due to focus frame)
    • I started to play an audio track
    • I pressed ESC to reach the Group Menu
    • I pressed the CP button (focus jumps to Home -> not ok)
    • I pressed break and play in the player controls and then pressed ESC
    • I'm back in audio item screen and nothing is focused

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm back in audio item screen and nothing is focused
    Thanks that's what I was after, I think my previous explanation is not 100% correct, it seems that only if the focus is in the group menu in the CP screen when pressing back it defaults to the first group menu item (i.e. the home button) but this is not always consistent.
    I still don't fully understand what you mean by the focus jumping back to home when using the other group buttons though, can you give a step by step on how to reproduce?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I still don't fully understand what you mean by the focus jumping back to home when using the other group buttons though, can you give a step by step on how to reproduce?
    Sure.
    • Start playing a audio track
    • press ESC to see the group menu
    • Navigate to settings and press it
    • You are in settings, but the focus frame is on "Home" (Settings can be replaced with any other button)
    There are two possible and "correct" behaviours I would expect:
    1. If a group button is selected it should keep also the focus
    2. If a group button is selected the first time in content area should have focus, but not the the first item in group menu

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom