[solved] MPTvScheduler - Android client for MediaPortal and TvServer (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry I should have updated that I did get it working, I think, it was a long time ago but then it all stopped working though the WOL did work and since I had not ever really used it I have never investigated further and gave up on it. On rethinking I believe I ended up using a specific free app. for the WOL so maybe I never got the included one working.

SimonP

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I recently set up Media Portal (1) on my computer and it's working as expected so I then tried to get it working on my 'phone. I installed MPExtended and MPTVScheduler and it works well but doesn't display subtitles and I need them (they're fine on the computer). I have English subtitles selected in MPExtended and tried both VLC (shows 'no track') and the default player (no option for subtitles, the 'world' symbol only shows the audio track when 'Display codec info' is enabled) in MPTVScheduler. The same is true playing back a recording in MPTVScheduler that I made in MP and contains subtitles.

I tried aMPdroid but it was too flaky to use and selecting 'Subtitle streams' does nothing, although that suggests that the problem might be with MPExtended?

Google turned up nothing so is it possible to see subtitles in MPTVScheduler and if so, how? (UK Digital Terrestrial aka Freeview, DVB-T1/2).

Also, 'Download channel logos' doesn't seem to work. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Anthony Gagnon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @SimonP This probably does not answer your question but I was able to get Closed Captions to work. These are not the same as Subtitles but if I select a recording's correct Closed Caption option with VLC as the player, text appears of what is being said on the recording. I am using some alpha version of the MPTVScheduler app before the developer retired. It's pretty rock solid. I'm in the USA, so I don't know if this translates to being able to work in the UK.

I never messed with Channel Logos, so I cannot venture a guess there.

SimonP

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2008
    Home Country
    @Anthony Gagnon Thanks for your reply. As you said, CC are different to our subtitles and we don't have them here. It's odd as it looks as if they should work but I haven't managed it yet. Shame as it works very well otherwise but I do need those subtitles.

Anthony Gagnon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2016
    Home Country
    @SimonP, I thought another moment about the fact that you reiterated that you do need subtitles... I'm not sure when you intend to use MPTVScheduler, but I hope I can safely assume it's not your primary source for viewing content. If it is for travel or a "not all the time" scenario, then perhaps you want to look into software called Handbrake. Google: handbrake batch convert, for adding subtitles directly to your videos (You may not be able to turn them on and off, but I think having them on all your videos seems fine). Doing this for as many files as you want subtitles for, then making an XML file for each of the filenames and using MediaPortal's TV-Server Configuration to import the new titles and then that should do the trick for MPTVScheduler. If you need to do this all the time, then you could set up some programming script to do this automatically, but that's getting pretty far down the rabbit hole for a work around for this problem.

To me, it seems unlikely you can get someone to update the app after the developer retired, but I could be wrong.

If a developer picks up this app, I was hoping for commercial skip capability too. That way I can save on cellphone data when watching recordings with commercials. The time stamps are there when watching locally, so maybe this can be done.

But I digress... Feel free to private message me if you're going to try Handbrake and get stuck. I have only "burned in" subtitles (not closed captions) for single files, but I'm reasonably confident that there's a way to get this to work for you.

SimonP

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2008
    Home Country
    @Anthony Gagnon, thanks for sparing the time to think about this. My main use for it will be scheduling recordings and watching live TV but I struggle to do that without subtitles. My videos and recordings all have subtitles and I have other methods of watching them on my phone so it's not a massive problem, mainly just disappointing that it seems to look for subtitles but doesn't find them, even in recordings made in MP.

Am I right in thinking that MPTVScheduler and aMPdroid are the only Android apps for MediaPortal?

I know of Handbrake but it won't help for live streams (AFAIK). Hopefully someone will pick it up again one day.

Anthony Gagnon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2016
    Home Country
    Am I right in thinking that MPTVScheduler and aMPdroid are the only Android apps for MediaPortal?

I've used KODI on the Local Area Network (it has MediaPortal 1 capability for up to KODI version 17.6 on Android). You could try Plex for watching LIVE TV with a subscription, but I think that's getting away from using MediaPortal's TV Tuners and application, come to think of it. I know of no other options after a 3 second look on the Google Play Store. Maybe someone will do something with MP2 down the road. I think we've digressed this thread for MPTVScheduler already.

superforever

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2009
    Any idea how to get Australia Live TV subtitle to work? It is teletext subtitle I have no problem with PC client but didn't work on Android Google Chromecast TV.

eagle

Portal Pro
    September 25, 2004
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Lately i set up my MP 1 from scratch (literally the complete HTPC) und except of 3d BR it runs flawlessly. So i tried to get MPTvscheduler working and it succeded partly. I can schedule recordings and can see EPG from intern and from extern as well. But I can't start TV replay neither on my tablet nor on my cellphone. I always get the message "can't play this link" (translated from the german message). Does anybody know about the issue and maybe has a solution? It's not a showstopper if it won't work. My main goal was to initiate recordings from away. But it would be nice to have if it'll be possible to fix this issue

regards

eagle

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom