My Music - need your thoughts on how to improve and enhance (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confusedpenguin

Portal Member
December 20, 2005
UK
I guess this suggestion is similar in relation to the party modes suggested previously - but it would be good to be able to confine the current Party Shuffle mode to particular directories.

I say this because I find the Party Shuffle option will pick up everything that's in the Music Database, and for example, I'd prefer just to Party Shuffle everything in the 'Albums' directory, rather than have 'Audio Books' in the playlist as well.

Really glad you're taking up work on this plugin Steve - I'm sure you'll do some great stuff with it.

vbgeezer

Portal Pro
December 18, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Tester over her

Hi Steve

Good to see you still committed to developing MP and glad USBUIRT didn't put you off ;)

I', off to the UK for a few weeks over Christmas but happy to test for you when I'm back.

Cheers and thanks for the effort

Geezer

matis1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2005
    Austria /Europe
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    visualisations

im tired of the boring visualisations that WMP brings with itself. please take a look at this one:

http://www.soundspectrum.com/

they provide a free version which works like a charm im WMP, but doesn´t show up im MP. it would be a great improvement if you could make it work..... :wink:

j1nx

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    Re: visualisations

matis1 said:
    im tired of the boring visualisations that WMP brings with itself. please take a look at this one:

http://www.soundspectrum.com/

they provide a free version which works like a charm im WMP, but doesn´t show up im MP. it would be a great improvement if you could make it work..... :wink:

I have the same problem with the visualisations downloaded from microsoft. Only the standard vis...'s are working in mediaportal.

But i think the plan is for now to disable the visualisations and replace it for a full screen "Now playing / Info" screen as i read somewhere above.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    More music module fixes

Hey guys, I've made a few more updates to the music module code. In summary, a minor performance improvement in database screens, fixed underlying database code, fixed window state rememberance (remembers whether you were in Shares or a database screen) and fixed adding items to playlist recursively, even when in database mode.

Patch link:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1387090&group_id=107397&atid=647927

Can a dev please commit this patch?

Thanks

Sam

garretwp

Portal Member
    December 17, 2005
    I am glade to see some of you are working on updating the music plugin! I am new to the whole media portal software and like it so fare. Much better then the other options out there! And the price is not bad either :wink: . As I mentioned earlier, I would really like to see music info displayed instead of the visuals. Would it also be hard to add the Volume overlay to we can see where the volume is at when we lower or raise it? I have to give you all much credit for your time and expertise! If I knew how to program in the lang. that this is done in, I would help out. I guess that is not the best excuse and better get learning! But again thanks again!

Garrett

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Great idea, the music interface is indeed in some need of an update.
    My humble input:
    Reconsider the handling of compilation albums. (Right now just not available)
    Two ideas:
    A change in the ID3 tags (iTunes' "part of a compilation" flag style eg.)
    or
    During database scan/adding: If a folder contains some MP3's of which the album tag is the same for all files, but the artist is not, "assume" it is a compilation.
    (The same folder criterion to avoid mixing up my x albums called "The very best of...") This would imply adding a "compilation" flag in the database, but I assume that won't be a problem.
    I think the second idea is the better of the two, because ID3 tagging is notorious for lacking standards on this matter.

dragonfly

Portal Member
    December 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    SteveV, you seem to have pinpointed pretty much the perfect plugin for my taste. I only have two requests, a small one and a slightly bigger one;

I want to be able to browse using all files in ALL SHARES in my database, not just one share at a time. For example, I have a few albums of artist 'X' in my mp3/ dir (share 1), and then a few of the same artist in my ogg/ dir (share 2), so only half of my albums with that artist are visible at one time at the moment. Basically, I don't want to be reminded that my songs are located on different shares.

Also, I want to be able to play a random song from my ENTIRE collection with the touch of a button, as well as always having the MP continue playing random songs (from my entire collection of course) after the song/album/playlist etc I chose has finished playing.

For an idea of what I'm talking about, see the very excellent "Jump to file"-function in Winamp.

Cheers!

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Hi everyone,

Happy new year! It's been a while since I last posted to this thread and thought a status update was in order. I'm just about finished with the new cover art grabber changes. It currently lets you grab covers for an album, artist folder, or entire share. In the case of artist or share, you can select to skip albums that have existing cover art and select whether you want to save the cover art image to the album folder, thumb folder, or both.

Accuracy and speed are very good and covers are presented in a large image list view which makes it easy to view and select from the cover art grabber results.

I still need to do some clean-up and a bit of work with the grabber progress and results skin pages. I'm hoping to have it done in the next several days--I'll let you know when I commit the changes.

Steve

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sounds great! I don't know if you have answered this question somewere else, but have you considered the very nice and innovative layout presented by Toby?

Have a look at it here: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11097

I think it´s brilliant!

Also - have you been doing any changes yet in the code that is in RC2? My Music is crashing all over the place right now?

Finally - I think it's great that you've started work on My Music. This far it has simply not been good enough to replace WMP for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom