[fixed] My Videos PIN protected folders in "Title View"? (1 Viewer)

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Hi Deda,

Success!!:D

Working very well with the latest patch. Will give it a thorough testing over the next few days but so far so good.

Thanks for persevering with me :)

All the best,

Mick.

Yes, finally :),

it would be nice if you can add more shares with different PINs, ie. for every user it's own content, but I think it will be ok. I don't think that "Contains" string comparison for directories will fail (can't see the way how two shares can have same directory structure).

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Deda,

Success!!:D

Working very well with the latest patch. Will give it a thorough testing over the next few days but so far so good.

Thanks for persevering with me :)

All the best,

Mick.

Yes, finally :),

it would be nice if you can add more shares with different PINs, ie. for every user it's own content, but I think it will be ok. I don't think that "Contains" string comparison for directories will fail (can't see the way how two shares can have same directory structure).

Will do mate. I'll post the results when done.

Thanks again for this unscheduled work.

All the best,

Mick

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Found small bug in case if different shares uses the same PIN, only first share items will be visible.

This new patch fix that. I hope everything will work as expected (I did my best to check all variations but nobody is perfect :) )

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    What tickles me about PIN protection, is smart kids (I have two) only have to go into MP config and delete any PIN number there and have full access.

Would not mind MP config itself to be PIN protected ;)

Slightly off-topic I know.

In order to delete the PIN, you should have to enter it first.

Of course, this is a problem if you forget the PIN, but then you can always edit MediaPortal.xml - is the PIN in there simply as a number? I have never checked.

Edit: it isn't quite there in plain text, but not too far off!

Mark

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    It's not only needed to ask PIN before delete, share should be protected from deletion, otherwise you just delete PIN protected share and recreate it without PIN and voila, you can watch all for free :).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Deleting a PIN is just a case of editing share folder detail, dlete hidden PIN ****, voila your in, not necessary to delete folder and recreate.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Deleting a PIN is just a case of editing share folder detail, dlete hidden PIN ****, voila your in, not necessary to delete folder and recreate.

I know. I think that's the point. It is very easy to get around this at the moment by deleting the PIN.

However, if we stop the share being deleted if it has a PIN, there is nothing to stop someone creating a new share based on the same folder, and not having it PIN protected.

As I see it, there is no easy way to stop someone playing the content on a folder. If they can see it in Windows, then they can play the files in Windows or add it as a share.

If a user can access 'configuration' then they can make the files accessible.

It is just a question of how difficult we want to make it, and how much time we want to spend on this.

For me, my main family HTPC does not have a keyboard attached, so there is no problem. Then again, I don't have any content that I am too concerned about.

Mark

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I'm just adding (for test) in current patch Dialog in configuration if user wants to edit PIN protected share.

Like that other user can't change anything on share before validate PIN for that share.

At least, unauthorized person can't change PIN in config. What he can do in windows or by adding new share, that's beyond this scope or without master PIN for Configuration :)

PIN share validation is global, so it works on all sections shares (Videos, Music, Pictures).

If defined share is PIN protected, upon on it's edit MP will ask to validate PIN. Simple :).

* PINvdbView.v36.patch is full patch with configuration patch
    **Config_PINChange.patch is Configuration part patch only.

*** Added new patch files, forget to protect delete of protected share (case to delete and recreate same share)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    without master PIN for Configuration

Now that is one thing I would like to see, this would also have to lock out the settings in GUI to be effective, always finding my fav skin has changed back to what the kids thinks looks cool ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom