MyFilms New version v4.0 (1 Viewer)

G.B. Wolf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 22, 2007
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    2) box images do not seem to make it. I do not see anything obvious in the dvdprofiler xml that has the information, so maybe i isn't possible...that would be a show stopper... do you think there is any method that can make this work?
    With DVDP 3.x the box images moved out of the programmpath and into the user's personal data folder. So check that you've set the path correctly. Missed that issue at the beginning, too.

Best regards
    G.B.

zebons

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    1) Launching from the HD seems to require putting a partial path in one of the database fields chosen in the configuration program. I don't see where these come from in DVDProfiler - the discs/disc/location or discs/disc/slot tags seem like the logical choices to me, but as it stands, I see no way to get the information in to "my films". Argh, actually now that I look at it, it seems location is limited to 30 characters and slot is limited to 10, so it would not be sufficient for "SAVING_GRACE\VIDEO_TS\VTS_11_0.IFO"
    With DVDP, you have to define the informations in the Notes Field : add something like :
    <File>filename.avi</File>
    You can define the complete path or only the filename as the plugin search first for the complete path/file name and after filename in the differents 'Path for Movies Files search'
    Don't forget the tags <File> and </File> ;-))
    In future release, the filename information should not be necessary if Movies filename contains the Original or Translated Title (choice with setup).
    May be it would help...

3) (enhancement) it would be nice to be able to use the <SortTitle> tag (it eliminates beginning words like "The" and "A".
    Can you explain a little bit ? I don't use DVDP so I don't know every functionalities.

4) (enhancement) if I understand how the paths to files SHOULD work, it checks the "ant item for storage file info" locations below each of the "Paths for Movies File Search" directories. It would be nice if it could automatically try appending "\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO". For that matter, it might be nice if I would be able to use "SortTitle" as the storage file name, and it would automatically append the rest - that would take all the manual steps out of data entry, as long as one was careful naming directories.
    In future release, search'll be as this :
    If filename information with full path is given in the 'ANT Item for Storage File Info' field, serach it
    If no, search for folder that name contains the Original or translated Title (info given in setup) and if found search for VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO in that directory...
    5) (enhancement) It would be nice if we could use the DVDProfiler tag "<Tags>" like a genre... it is the main customizable categorization for each movie. It looks like
    <Tags>
    <Tag Name="Favorite" FullName="Favorite"/>
    </Tags>
    Can you explain a little bit ?

bobrap

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 22, 2006
    TN
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There must be something I'm missing:confused: When I set <File>filename.avi</File> in the notes section, I'm getting a pop up window asking me to insert disk... Is there another setting that needs to be changed:D

zebons

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    There must be something I'm missing:confused: When I set <File>filename.avi</File> in the notes section, I'm getting a pop up window asking me to insert disk... Is there another setting that needs to be changed:D

Can you put a copy of your setup screen ?

zebons

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    Hope this helps. Thanks.:)

It seems to be good...
    Can you take a look on the temporary file generated and see if you get the file name in the comments field (can I suggest yo use the URL field ?).

If you want, you can attach your temporary file as I can take a look to see what is wrong...

Why do you put twice C:\Myvideos in your 'Paths for Movie file search' field ?

cyberquixote

Portal Member
    September 1, 2006
    Thanks for your quick response zebon! Let me restate my unclear suggestions/issues with more information...

1) the <SortTitle> field in DVDP is based on the movie title, but is one that can be used for sorting (and makes more sense for filenames etc I think). It removes words like "A" and "The" at the beginning of the title. For example for "The little mermaid" <Title> is "The Little Mermaid", but <SortTitle> is "Little Mermaid". As it stands now, sorting by title in MF has all movies starting with "A ..." at the beginning which is not typically expected.

2) The <Tags> tag in DVDP Is essentially a user definable classification. As far as I know, in DVDP, there is no way to edit the values that can be in the <Genre> tag, so you are limited to the standard "Action", "Adventure" etc... <Tags> lets you add values like "My favorites" or "Kid Friendly" to your movies. It seems there can be as many as you want and each DVD can contain as many as you like. They also allow imposing a hierarchy on the tags (i.e. can have "My Favorites/SciFi" and "My Favorites/Fantasy")
    an example in the xml is:
    <Tags>
    <Tag Name="My Favorites" FullName="My Favorites"/>
    <Tag Name="SciFi" FullName="My Favorites/SciFi"/>
    </Tags>
    which is a child of <DVD>

I don't know what is practical to implement in MF, as I don't know what the parallel is in Ant, or if there is one. I for one, would be fairly happy if they were just merged with genre during translation and "Fullname" was always used so the hierarchy could be ignored.

3) The DVD directory thing: I have several large disks which contain dvds in directories. Each disk has a few subdirectories for genre, then each genre directory contains many directories which are titles of movies and contain the dvd hierarchy (so d:\vids\scifi\dune and d:\vids\scifi\dark_city both contain video_ts/video_ts.ifo etc). I guess, ideally, I would like something where for that case I could enter like "D:\vids;e:\vids;f:\vids" in the "Paths for Movies File Search", then when searching for "dune" it would automatically look in subdirectories below each of those to find the directory scifi/dune and the realize it was a DVD folder and open scifi/dune/video_ts/video_ts.ifo. The major goal is in my mind is not to need to enter a string for every DVD which leads to likely errors. It is not so bad if I have to go change my naming convention of the directories a bit, but would really hate to need to go type in a big string for every movie, and I will probably typo many of them ;)

From what I have gathered, my directory structure is not a very unique case, so I assume there would be some desire for this...

Thanks for making a great plugin for media portal!

Parker

zebons

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    1) the <SortTitle> field in DVDP is based on the movie title, but is one that can be used for sorting (and makes more sense for filenames etc I think). It removes words like "A" and "The" at the beginning of the title. For example for "The little mermaid" <Title> is "The Little Mermaid", but <SortTitle> is "Little Mermaid". As it stands now, sorting by title in MF has all movies starting with "A ..." at the beginning which is not typically expected.
    I can propose to take the SortTitle and store it in a field that you have to define in the plugin Setup. So you can define a new sort based on that item and as the plugin retains the last sort used for future launching, you don't have to choose it each time...
    2) The <Tags> tag in DVDP Is essentially a user definable classification. As far as I know, in DVDP, there is no way to edit the values that can be in the <Genre> tag, so you are limited to the standard "Action", "Adventure" etc... <Tags> lets you add values like "My favorites" or "Kid Friendly" to your movies. It seems there can be as many as you want and each DVD can contain as many as you like. They also allow imposing a hierarchy on the tags (i.e. can have "My Favorites/SciFi" and "My Favorites/Fantasy")
    an example in the xml is:
    <Tags>
    <Tag Name="My Favorites" FullName="My Favorites"/>
    <Tag Name="SciFi" FullName="My Favorites/SciFi"/>
    </Tags>
    which is a child of <DVD>

I don't know what is practical to implement in MF, as I don't know what the parallel is in Ant, or if there is one. I for one, would be fairly happy if they were just merged with genre during translation and "Fullname" was always used so the hierarchy could be ignored.
    As before, I propose to give the possibility either to merge the fullname with the genre field either store it in an unused field of the ANT databse, so you can define a new specific view or use the default genre.

3) The DVD directory thing: I have several large disks which contain dvds in directories. Each disk has a few subdirectories for genre, then each genre directory contains many directories which are titles of movies and contain the dvd hierarchy (so d:\vids\scifi\dune and d:\vids\scifi\dark_city both contain video_ts/video_ts.ifo etc). I guess, ideally, I would like something where for that case I could enter like "D:\vids;e:\vids;f:\vids" in the "Paths for Movies File Search", then when searching for "dune" it would automatically look in subdirectories below each of those to find the directory scifi/dune and the realize it was a DVD folder and open scifi/dune/video_ts/video_ts.ifo. The major goal is in my mind is not to need to enter a string for every DVD which leads to likely errors. It is not so bad if I have to go change my naming convention of the directories a bit, but would really hate to need to go type in a big string for every movie, and I will probably typo many of them ;)

From what I have gathered, my directory structure is not a very unique case, so I assume there would be some desire for this...
    I think it'll be possible with next release. May be you'll have to rename some directories (the directory name must contains the movie names globally), but it's seems to be the case with your organization...

cyberquixote

Portal Member
    September 1, 2006
    that all sounds excellent!

I agree, renaming directories to exactly match whatever title field is being used is clearly necessary. One suggestion, which I assume you have already thought of, is in converting a title to a filename or directory name will require SOME preprocessing... i.e. "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" contains ":" which is not a valid filename character in windows. It might be a good idea to replace all runs of invalid/questionable characters with "_" and eliminate them at the beginning/end...so that filename would become "Terminator_2_Judgment_Day" and "What About Bob?" would become "What_About_Bob".

Once again, thanks for a GREAT plugin!
    Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom