Not open for further replies.

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First of all, thank for your great work with this. Blu-Ray-Support is a killer feature and I'm really enjoying alle the progress you guys do here almost daily :D I finally had some time to do tests with the discs I own. These are the result of the first 4 discs, 10 more will follow:

BD-J: No
    Menu mode: OK
    Title mode: OK
    Additional information: Main movie starts right away, menu seems to be only for chosing language/subtitles and bonus material.

Confessions of a Shopaholic (Die Schnäppchenjägerin)
    BD-J: Yes
    Menu mode: Not working (see below)
    Additional information: When entering Menu mode, I only see a message "This disc will not play because of the player's region settings". In MP configuration I configured the player for region "B" and that's also printed on the disc (German version bought in Germany). Logs attached with first try to play in menu mode and second try with title mode.

Dirty Dancing
    Additional information: Main movie starts right away, menu seems to be only for chosing language/subtitles and bonus material.

Earth (Unsere Erde)
    Menu mode: OK (see below)
    Additional information: There are two "special" menu items. The first seems to use PIP, but says it's not available for my player and it will start the movie the normal way - it does so. The second seems to use BD-Live stuff. If I chose this item, I get back to MP (MyVideos). See logs attached.

All tests were done with V3 and LAVF 0.45. I'll update the wiki when I'm done. Btw: should we add the tested version to the wiki list? Let me know if you need any further informations.

Attachments

• Confessions_of_a_Shopaholic_Menu_Not_Playing.zip
      18 KB
    • Planet_Earth_Exit_On_BDLive.zip
      11.8 KB

4irm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Native Blu-ray support

Version 3

Currently the feedback that we are receiving is really low (almost non-existent). I have no real download count statistics available but the EVR renderer with MP Audio Renderer support enabled has been downloaded 40 times. And most likely majority of the people aren't needing / using it so there is probably more than 100 downloads for the installer and only few people have reported the results! There is no chance of getting the BD support into 1.3.0 release if the test result amount is not rising up.

I'll continue to monitor the testing and it's results but I wont be doing any development until there is good amount of reports about the compatibility and possible issues that have been found. Also the wiki list is quite out of date - please make sure that all the reported issues in wiki are either changed to working state or report to this thread that there is still the issue present in the latest test build.

Thanks for understanding! And big thanks for the people who have been providing the test results - those have been really valuable for the BD support development.

Thanks for your work!

BlueRay Support is highly appreciated! I guess people simply do not want to update their running system to Alpha 1.3 in order to test.
    Is there any possibility to test with MP 1.2.2 ?

Thanks again!

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes you can but for better result, it will be ok to avoid third party plugin etc.
    In few first page of the thread, there is explanation to backup actual installation to revert easily and also batch script to do it quickly :)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    HTPC software is the kind of software you don't want crashing all the time so I can understand why people are hesitant to test versions branded "alpha", unless they happen to have a spare test rig they can use. BD support is definitely a killer feature though so I hope work on it continues! :)

driver140771

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 8, 2010
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Native Blu-ray support

Thanks for your work!

BlueRay Support is highly appreciated! I guess people simply do not want to update their running system to Alpha 1.3 in order to test.

Thanks again!

...without a new installation of MePo

:D for your work.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    HTPC software is the kind of software you don't want crashing all the time so I can understand why people are hesitant to test versions branded "alpha", unless they happen to have a spare test rig they can use. BD support is definitely a killer feature though so I hope work on it continues! :)

And that is pretty much the reason why a new features must be tested properly before they can be added to a release - no proper amount of testing -> not going to be included in release.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Native Blu-ray support

Thanks for your work!

Thanks again!

...without a new installation of MePo

No, since there are too many changed components so the patching would most likely just cause false reports or even much worser behavior for the exisitng features than just using the installer.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Some BDs dont have real root menu, so this is normal.

Confessions of a Shopaholic (Die Schnäppchenjägerin)
    Menu mode: Not working (see below)
    Additional information: When entering Menu mode, I only see a message "This disc will not play because of the player's region settings". In MP configuration I configured the player for region "B" and that's also printed on the disc (German version bought in Germany). Logs attached with first try to play in menu mode and second try with title mode.

The region warning is usually non BD-J content. And as it is BD-J disk it is normal that the playback in menu mode will fail at some point (if it doesn't do it already in the starting phase).

Dirty Dancing

Same as for 300.

Earth (Unsere Erde)
    Menu mode: OK (see below)
    Additional information: There are two "special" menu items. The first seems to use PIP, but says it's not available for my player and it will start the movie the normal way - it does so. The second seems to use BD-Live stuff. If I chose this item, I get back to MP (MyVideos). See logs attached.

It is normal that the playback stops when BD-J title is tried to play - libbluray gives up as there is no BD-J support turned on (the implementation is almost non-existent, just some stub implemenations so it cannot be turned on).

Btw: should we add the tested version to the wiki list?

Yes please.

Let me know if you need any further informations.

More tested disks would be nice :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Ghost Writer, BDJ – No, Mediaportal crashes when playing menu, playing feature seems to be OK

A sample would be nice to have as BD is causing crashing.

Green Zone, BD-J – Yes, initial intro to menu plays, and then drops back to mediaportal menu, playing feature seems to be OK

Normal behavior for BD-J.

Harry Potter 7 (part 1) , BD-J – Yes, selecting menu, just returns to the select play mode menu, feature seems to crash media portal when seeking

A sample would be good to have since crashing with seeking.

Limitless, BDJ – No, seeking in menu crashes MP, Menu seems fine and the feature plays, seeking in feature crashes MP

A sample would be good to have since crashing with seeking.

Paul, BD-J – Yes, No menu, just blank screen after intro video, playing feature seems to be OK

Probably some BD-J title would start to play at that freezing point, but it shoudl generally return back to MP GUI at that point. A sample of that BD would be good to have.

The American, BD-J – Yes - initial intro to menu plays, and then drops back to mediaportal menu, playing feature seems to be OK

Normal behavior for BD-J enabled content.

Is there a test plan that we should follow to produce consistent results. In any case let me know what you need and I will arrange it.

As the disk content is so much different between each disk there is no good way to produce consistent test results between different testers. So, just testing the normal use is enough (navigate in menu, test extras, start movie etc.).

Could you please add the test results into wiki as well?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad Live (2008) -> Main Menu & song selection works First song selection from Popup Menu (during playback) works, after that Popup Menu disappears from MP context menu Strange 1

Within Temptation & The Metropole Orchestra - Black Symphony (2008) -> Popup Menu still doesn't close after song selection and GUI doesn't show DVDMenu or Popup Menu any more

Those issues are related to the libbluray side error and additional error handling in MP player side. Lets hope the lib side issues are sorted out soon so we don't have to create any temporary workarounds (it wouldn't still allow fixing the popup issues 100%).

Lib has been fixed so that it reports the correct results. Popup menu entry shouldn't be anymore missing in the next test release.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom