New Australian TV guide source (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
I am not aware of any scenario that would disable FTP after an update. Knowing how the code works, I don't think it's likely and I have never seen this behaviour on any of the machines I use. Do some testing, be sure to "Save and Exit" not just "Exit" setup and if you can confirm that this really happens, PM me and I will look into it.

Angusmann, just wondering, does the program turn off the FTP download option when it updates itself? Seems I turn it on, and then next time it runs the option is off, and it takes ages to do scraping instead of downloading.

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    For what it's worth I can confirm that data is available for Nat Geo HD, Playhouse Disney, Cbeebies, Lifestyle+2, discovery, crime and ivestigation, fuel TV and 111hits. I stopped checking after they all seemed to work.

Showtime Greats no longer broadcasts so there is no data for it .. I will take it off the list in the next update.

Try deleting all the files in the "data" folder of guidedigger that are less than 1k in size. This will clear out empty listings.

I don't use MP and I don't understand mapping, but I suspect this is the reason you don't seem to have the data. Have a look at the XML that GuideDigger creates (open it with a web browser) and you can search for the channels you suspect are not getting data. If you find program data there, then GD is doing it's job and the problem lies elsewhere.

Hi again,

So - firstly - if anyone wants it, attached is my export list of channels including Foxtel and Sydney Digital (not sure if it's 100% accurate but it may help someone!)

As of now I don't have any EPG data on the following channels:

Showtime great, playhouse, Cbeebies, Lifestyle +2, Showtime +2, Movie 1 +2, fox sports hd, espn hd, style network, fuel, Channel V (and +2), 111 hits, Fox 8+2, arena + 2, fox classics (and +2), National Geo HD, Discovery, national geo, crime.

Not sure if this is me or not but I've upgraded to the latest version and I've done all the mappings correctly (I think)!.

Please let me know if you need more information or if there's anything I should try.

Thanks again.

Guidedigger ran again overnight and most of the data is there today - I'll check and see if there's any still missing tonight :) I didn't realise Showtime Greats was gone-ski - sorry about that!

redeye19987

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2009
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey angusmann,
    Not sure if you want to know but what us crazy Media Portal people are talking about with mappings is quite simply this:
    Each channel name that is run through Guide Digger needs to exactly match the name that we have set the channel up in out Media Portal TV-Server. If not, there will be no guide data imported for that channel.

Due to this we have to re-name each of the channels that GD grabs as since the newer versions they now have a localised prefix such as: PAY..Foxtel Digital~. I think I mentioned this in a previous post though was probably not clear.
    Not sure if this is at all possible for a future version but is it possible that the prefix is listed when searching for your localised content but removed when added for grabbing? So "PAY..Foxtel Digital~Discovery Channel" would be grabbed and listed in the xml as just "Discovery Channel"
    Does this make any sense? If this was the case then we could just ensure that our TV-Server channel names exactly match your GD names and would not have to re-name anything.

P.S. Thanks for the new channels :D

angusmann

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2005
    OK. I think I get the mapping idea.

Naming the channels has always been difficult and it has been the subject of alot of thought. The problem with abbreviating the names (ie. removing the "Pay Foxtel Digital~" is that there are several discovery channels...you can also get discovery on foxtel analog, foxtel cable, austar and so on. If there was nothing before "Discovery" then all these different channels would blend into one. Believe it or not there are some people with access to two different sources of pay-tv and also, the same FTA channels from different transmitters....so they might get different versions of channel 7 if they sit on the border between 2 regions. They need to be able to differentiate the guide data for channel 7 for the 2 different regions and this would be impossible without the "NSW-Sydney~" in front.

I know it creates quite a job to rename all the channels but it's the best I can do, and users can always swap and share extracts from their gdigger.ini files to simplify the task.

Hey angusmann,
    Not sure if you want to know but what us crazy Media Portal people are talking about with mappings is quite simply this:
    Each channel name that is run through Guide Digger needs to exactly match the name that we have set the channel up in out Media Portal TV-Server. If not, there will be no guide data imported for that channel.

Due to this we have to re-name each of the channels that GD grabs as since the newer versions they now have a localised prefix such as: PAY..Foxtel Digital~. I think I mentioned this in a previous post though was probably not clear.
    Not sure if this is at all possible for a future version but is it possible that the prefix is listed when searching for your localised content but removed when added for grabbing? So "PAY..Foxtel Digital~Discovery Channel" would be grabbed and listed in the xml as just "Discovery Channel"
    Does this make any sense? If this was the case then we could just ensure that our TV-Server channel names exactly match your GD names and would not have to re-name anything.

redeye19987

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2009
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK. I think I get the mapping idea.

Naming the channels has always been difficult and it has been the subject of alot of thought. The problem with abbreviating the names (ie. removing the "Pay Foxtel Digital~" is that there are several discovery channels...you can also get discovery on foxtel analog, foxtel cable, austar and so on. If there was nothing before "Discovery" then all these different channels would blend into one. Believe it or not there are some people with access to two different sources of pay-tv and also, the same FTA channels from different transmitters....so they might get different versions of channel 7 if they sit on the border between 2 regions. They need to be able to differentiate the guide data for channel 7 for the 2 different regions and this would be impossible without the "NSW-Sydney~" in front.

I know it creates quite a job to rename all the channels but it's the best I can do, and users can always swap and share extracts from their gdigger.ini files to simplify the task.

Hey angusmann,

Yep, got it! Ahh well, worth a try. I guess it is a bit of a hard one, I tend to re-name channel names on both GD and TV-Server so i guess my .ini file with what I like to call my channels someone else may not like. I don't mind re-naming, just a little initial pain involved. If I get around to it on the weekend, after I add in the new channels, I may upload my .ini file if it is of any help to someone.

Thanks!

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi redeye19987,

I don't think that this is strictly correct ...

I believe that you can use the channel mapping table (Mappings tab) in the xmltv plugin section of the MediaPortal TV Server Configuration, to match the channel name that GuideDigger provides, to the channel name that you use in MediaPortal - they don't have to be identical. Please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong?

Cheers,

Taipan

redeye19987

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2009
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi redeye19987,

I don't think that this is strictly correct ...

I believe that you can use the channel mapping table (Mappings tab) in the xmltv plugin section of the MediaPortal TV Server Configuration, to match the channel name that GuideDigger provides, to the channel name that you use in MediaPortal - they don't have to be identical. Please feel free to correct me, if am wrong?

Cheers,

Taipan

No, you are correct though I was just trying to make a simple translation for angusmann as he does not have Media Portal. Yes you can match every single channel in xmltv though if the name in the xml matches your tv-server channel name it will recognise the channel and map it automatically. This was running in to my second point of having the names match in the guide digger program first so that the import is hassle free as some of us, like myself, are grabbing all foxtel channels as well as free to air.
    Sorry if I created any confusion with any users.

redeye19987

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2009
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    gdigger.ini

Ok, finally got around to a fresh channel list update. Here is my .ini file if it is of any use to anyone. Channels I am grabbing are:

All Foxtel Digital
    All Melbourne FTA

runminimized = yes
    autoupdate = yes
    ftpup = yes
    ftpdown = yes
    mergetitle = yes

All channels have the prefix "PAY..Foxtel Digital~" and "VIC..Melbourne~" removed for easier mapping.

Attachments

• Guide Digger ini.zip
      30.6 KB

loinbread

Portal Member
    June 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Ok, finally got around to a fresh channel list update. Here is my .ini file if it is of any use to anyone. Channels I am grabbing are:

All Foxtel Digital
    All Melbourne FTA

runminimized = yes
    autoupdate = yes
    ftpup = yes
    ftpdown = yes
    mergetitle = yes

All channels have the prefix "PAY..Foxtel Digital~" and "VIC..Melbourne~" removed for easier mapping.

thanks a lot! had some issues with tv tuner so I redid my whole set up and decided to go with an external EPG, your vic melb settings are just what i needed!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom