MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: Dell ZINO HD - ATI NEWBEE

Rules I learnt

1. Never use ATI Drivers, use only the ones supplied by Dell (last update 10 days ago). Ati drivers break DXVA and even when they don't, the playback has several issues (frames skip)
    2. Always use SAF, don't mess up with other codecs
    3. Refer to the SAF thread for any codec problems.
    4. Use MPC-HC to check if DXVA is enabled (you can see stats for DXVA in MPC)

Bye!

F.

p.s. If you want you can send me in some way a clip with VC-1 encoded file and I could check if it works with me

Hey Pierremenard,
    Thank you for the quick reponse and the feedback. Here is what I tried...

1. I uninstalled the ATI drivers and installed the latest driver from Dell. No luck with VC-1 videos :(
    2. I uninstalled all the other codecs and tries SAF 4.0 (stable) and 5.0 Experimental still with no luck.
    3. I tried Win7DSFilterTweaker to set the codecs prority, still with no luck :(
    4. I tried MPC and the VC-1 videos worked perfectly. Still no luck with VC-1 within MP.
    5. I restored the original image and called Dell for a return....

I got a new Zotac Mag yesterday and it is working great. It uses the Nvidia ION chipset instead of ATI, so I think it was easier for me to set up. I am going to do a small write-up on it so others may consider it as well. It was only $299 and has a VESA mount so you can put it directly behind the TV unobstructed, which is a big plus for me.

Again, thank you for the help, and I am glad you got it working for you. I know I have to be missing something, but I redo my machines around once a year and I dont want to have to go through these struggles every time it is reimaged. I understand the Nvidia chipsets more and I think I will stick with what I know...

Wile E.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I got a new Zotac Mag yesterday and it is working great.

I have a Zotac Mag and I can confirm that. It works great, where with my other two ATI HD 4350 based clients I'm struggling.

VdR

pierremenard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2006
    Verona (Italy)
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

Hey Pierremenard,
    Thank you for the quick reponse and the feedback. Here is what I tried...

1. I uninstalled the ATI drivers and installed the latest driver from Dell. No luck with VC-1 videos :(
    2. I uninstalled all the other codecs and tries SAF 4.0 (stable) and 5.0 Experimental still with no luck.
    3. I tried Win7DSFilterTweaker to set the codecs prority, still with no luck :(
    4. I tried MPC and the VC-1 videos worked perfectly. Still no luck with VC-1 within MP.
    5. I restored the original image and called Dell for a return....

I got a new Zotac Mag yesterday and it is working great. It uses the Nvidia ION chipset instead of ATI, so I think it was easier for me to set up. I am going to do a small write-up on it so others may consider it as well. It was only $299 and has a VESA mount so you can put it directly behind the TV unobstructed, which is a big plus for me.

Again, thank you for the help, and I am glad you got it working for you. I know I have to be missing something, but I redo my machines around once a year and I dont want to have to go through these struggles every time it is reimaged. I understand the Nvidia chipsets more and I think I will stick with what I know...

Wile E.

If DXVA works with MPC, it must work also with MediaPortal. You should have had a look to graphedit to see what changed between the two.

Anyway, it seems you found a solution

Bye!

F.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

If DXVA works with MPC, it must work also with MediaPortal. You should have had a look to graphedit to see what changed between the two.

Anyway, it seems you found a solution

Bye!

F.

Thats very true, I will keep that in mind if I run into issues in the future.

Thanks again!

guyver_dio

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    I used to be a field techy for dell, and anyone that has been there would probably never want a dell product entering their house lol.

But even though I'd never buy dell products myself, I gotta say the specs for this are great for the prices. Not something that would blow all your savings and then leave you high and dry if it ends up being problematic lol.

Users who are viewing this thread