Newbie Question (1 Viewer)

kdmiller45

Portal Member
January 27, 2009
Phoenix
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Can someone tell me the difference between mediaPortal and TVServer are they one in the same or do they work togeather through mediaPortal 1.0

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal itself is the front-end application that you see. It can be installed with its own built-in TV section and used without the TV server at all.

TV server is another application that runs in the background and handles all the TV tuners. If you're using TV server then MediaPortal has a client plugin that connects to the server when you're watching TV. You can use this as a "proper" server and have multiple client PCs all using the tuner cards in one server machine, but IMO even for a stand-alone machine it's a better system (it's been developed more than the built-in TV plugin and has some nice features like recording multiple channels from a single DVB transponder, and seems to support different tuner cards better). The default MediaPortal installation uses TV server in a "single-seat" setup. When using it you'd never know it was a separate application - it's seamless.

If you're going to install MediaPortal I'd suggest doing a standard single-seat installation using TVServer (the install program does it all for you).

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I am still unable to get the 3D playback of inserted disks but otherwise eveything seems to be working well using a paid version of MakMKV on my HTPC. However I tried doing the same with the latest beta evaluation version of MakMKV on my Desktop PC, also MP 1.34 x64, but have not been able to get it working, "Unable to play copy...
    I am still unable to get the 3D playback of inserted disks but otherwise eveything seems to be working well using a paid version of...
    I don't know how many of you are aware of this, however, it may be that AnyDVD HD has finally come to an end. Their web site can no...
    Replies
    Views
    The UseSSL trick made MediaPortal great again, thanks.
    The UseSSL trick made MediaPortal great again, thanks.
    Hi, Trakt has work perfectly for me for over 10 years, but for some reason this week it will not Authorize my account. I can log...
    Replies
    Views
    Does anyone else have problem with long (several hours) pauses of TV broadcasts? If I pause and forget, I can still resume TV the next day, but if I try to change channel or stop, MP freezes. Only way to fix is to restart both MP and TV Service. Sometimes I need to restart PC It seems that TVServer cannot proprtly handle large...
    Does anyone else have problem with long (several hours) pauses of TV broadcasts? If I pause and forget, I can still resume TV the...
    Does anyone else have problem with long (several hours) pauses of TV broadcasts? If I pause and forget, I can still resume TV the...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 1.34 STB blasting for IPTV DE
    I'm downsizing my big honkin' HTPC case to a mini PC, which means the tried and true Hauppauge Colossus card that bridges the set top box into Mediaportal needs replaced with a different solution. I currently have HDMI from the STB to the colossus. Mediaportal is controlling the STB through a USBUIRT blaster and the blaster is...
    I'm downsizing my big honkin' HTPC case to a mini PC, which means the tried and true Hauppauge Colossus card that bridges the set...
    I'm downsizing my big honkin' HTPC case to a mini PC, which means the tried and true Hauppauge Colossus card that bridges the set...
    Replies
    Views
    Default Direct Sound Device was the problem. MPAR worked better than Dircect Sound, but is still a problem. Changed Audio Renderer to use the TV and it's working.
    Default Direct Sound Device was the problem. MPAR worked better than Dircect Sound, but is still a problem. Changed Audio Renderer...
    New computer build with Windows 11 Pro. MediaPortal 1.34 x64. When I pause a video the audio drops out. This only occurs when...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom