Newbie Question (1 Viewer)

kdmiller45

Portal Member
January 27, 2009
Phoenix
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Can someone tell me the difference between mediaPortal and TVServer are they one in the same or do they work togeather through mediaPortal 1.0

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal itself is the front-end application that you see. It can be installed with its own built-in TV section and used without the TV server at all.

TV server is another application that runs in the background and handles all the TV tuners. If you're using TV server then MediaPortal has a client plugin that connects to the server when you're watching TV. You can use this as a "proper" server and have multiple client PCs all using the tuner cards in one server machine, but IMO even for a stand-alone machine it's a better system (it's been developed more than the built-in TV plugin and has some nice features like recording multiple channels from a single DVB transponder, and seems to support different tuner cards better). The default MediaPortal installation uses TV server in a "single-seat" setup. When using it you'd never know it was a separate application - it's seamless.

If you're going to install MediaPortal I'd suggest doing a standard single-seat installation using TVServer (the install program does it all for you).

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Thanks again.(y)
    Thanks again.(y)
    I don't know how many of you are aware of this, however, it may be that AnyDVD HD has finally come to an end. Their web site can no...
    Replies
    Views
    I need to try MadVR, I hope my Intel NAC can manage it.
    I need to try MadVR, I hope my Intel NAC can manage it.
    Remember PAL DVDs of US movies and TV Shows, and how they were converted to 25 fps thus introducing a "smurf lite" pitch on the...
    Replies
    Views
    Thanks CyberSimian, that's fixed it (y) and also thanks to AJS for including the change in the next release.
    Thanks CyberSimian, that's fixed it (y) and also thanks to AJS for including the change in the next release.
    When using the List Layout for Argus TV Recorded TV the page count is above the bottom information bar, refer to attached...
    Replies
    Views
    THX for info. 0.62 plugin version doesn't crash with MP 1.31 therefore, it seems to me to be little buggy...
    THX for info. 0.62 plugin version doesn't crash with MP 1.31 therefore, it seems to me to be little buggy...
    Started on: 2023-12-26 last update: 2023-12-26 Summary: Minimize the amount of data written to disk by simulating a tempfs RAM...
    Replies
    Views
    Check this web page for the informations about he plugin. To fix the issue, I recommend to uninstal and install the plugin again (if you need it).
    Check this web page for the informations about he plugin. To fix the issue, I recommend to uninstal and install the plugin again...
    I've just installed MP 1.31 with Streamed skin, IMDB+ plugin, Moving Pictures and MP-TV Series. First time starting up MP to...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom