[TV] North American Closed Captions (7 Viewers)

xvffx

Portal Pro
August 15, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
For digital broadcasts (like the sample) the CoreCC parser needs to be added to postprocessing section in Config.

I can't verify just yet but a side note

I've been using CoreCC in the postprocessing for a long time and was able to view CC only in HD digital TV such as Mpeg2 but never with HD Digital Mpeg4.

the thing is.. Mpeg4 is replacing Mpeg2 in digital TVs

Vff

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I got some interesting results using FFDSHOW instead of Microsoft decoder: with FFDSHOW you have more control over the font used for analog closed captions, looks very cute, see two screenshots of same video played back using two different decoders.

Attachments

• microsoft cc.jpg
      microsoft cc.jpg
      151.8 KB
    • ffdshow cc.jpg
      ffdshow cc.jpg
      153 KB

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    xvffx: I tried to trick MP by recording the TV sample show and replacing it with your file - no CC, but then I ran your file through CC Extractor program and the program could not detect/extract any closed captions. Are you sure the CC stream was recorded properly?

I wonder if original Microsoft W7 codec can do same job as CoreCC? That would be nice if we could use same codec for everything. One way to find out, I guess, is to enable the native MCE program and try to run the digital ATSC signal. But even if CC shows, how do we know if this is EIA-708 and not EIA-608?

By the way, I remember there is a special version of FFDSHOW that is capable of doing digital EIA-708. (see here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...c-closed-caption-34929/index3.html#post493448)

CC was added only to TV portion of MP (and for DVDs before), not for Video Player, so CC won't show with that sample. Also, only analog CC is in MP. For digital broadcasts (like the sample) the CoreCC parser needs to be added to postprocessing section in Config.

Hi

heres a sample of a NA HD Mpeg4 Stream (cc is embedded)

the question is... can you view it?

Vff

View attachment 77255

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    One little tip if you notice some performance issues on W7: set your pc for high performance in control panel, disable aero interface and you should be much better!

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Oh, OK. I disabled aero on mine and I don't see any issues so far. Where should I look? How will this v-sync issue manifiest itself?

odysseus

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2006
    Newtonville,Massachusetts
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 With ForTheRecord 1.6.0.0 RC2
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP-1.6.6.2799-Beta
    Windows Version: Windows 7 32 Bit
    CPU Type: Pentium 4 2.40 Ghz
    HDD: Western Digital 750 GB SATA
    Memory: 2 GB
    Motherboard: ABIT IC7-MAX3
    Video Card: NVIDIA 7600 GS
    Video Card Driver: 266.58
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 2.18.15
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE
    1. TV Card Type: Analog Model 1042 (Has FM Tuner)
    1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.48.25037 WHQL
    2. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE
    2. TV Card Type: Analog Model 1062
    2. TV Card Driver: 2.0.48.25037 WHQL
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PDVD11, Microsoft DTV-DVD, FFDShow, MPC
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: PDVD11, Microsoft DTV-DVD, FFDShow DXVA, MPC
    h.264 Video Codec: PDVD11, Microsoft DTV-DVD, FFDShow, MPC
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Verizon FIOS
    Remote: Harmony One
    TV: Panasonic TC-L322C22
    TV - HTPC Connection: Component

It was in this thread that it was confirmed that CC support for analog cards would be part of 1.2.0. Unless I using the wrong search terms, I've found no threads in any form in regards to this since it's release.

I have tried all of the above codecs to try to display CC. All show a subtitle option, but only one, DTV-DVD, actually shows CC1 as an option, but even when that is selected, I see no captions.

My cards definitely support CC, I've used them to display captions in both Microsoft Media Center and Meedio (using FFDShow) for years.

Are there any North American Analog users out there who could give me some advice? Or any others that might have some insight? I don't know if I'm missing a step or if I'm required to add a filter in post-processing; really, since I've never had CC in MP I'm in noob mode here.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and many thanks in advance are given; this is the ONE feature I miss from previous HTPC software and the one I most want.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have NA closed captions, but I just noticed today I can't switch them off unless I use ffdshow and disable them in ffdshow. Maybe somebody from MP team can help?

To troubleshoot your problem it is important to know what kind of signal are you dealing with. For digital, like ATSC, you will need postprocessing with "Core CC Parser" (post #8 in this thread).

You should not need any postprocessing for analog signal, like analog cable. Just make sure you select remote control Menu, 3 Subtitle, and then select 2 CC1. Try to use Microsoft or FFDShow video codec. I like FFDShow better because I can control how closed captions look, although sometimes I have wierd simbols, maybe FFDShow doesn't know how to process certain codes. Make sure you select the appropriate codec in TV Codecs tab of MP configuration program. If you use FFDShow, make sure Subtitles is checked in video decoder configuration, and select all subtitles and closed captions (see the attached screenshot).

Attachments

• ffdshow_cc_settings.png
      ffdshow_cc_settings.png
      34.5 KB

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    All right, attached please find the latest WORKING live TV CC graphs taken with original 1.2.0 Beta core.dll.

Attachments

• cc atsc ok ffdshow.png
      cc atsc ok ffdshow.png
      20 KB
    • cc analog ok ffdshow.png
      cc analog ok ffdshow.png
      20 KB
    • cc atsc ok microsoft.png
      cc atsc ok microsoft.png
      25.6 KB
    • cc analog ok microsoft.png
      cc analog ok microsoft.png