OnlineVideos 0.33 (19.09.2011) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hroch2

Portal Member
October 16, 2010
Home Country
Slovakia Slovakia
guide to add new sites

hi guys, i am very new to mediaportal and let me say that this is one of the most useful plugins that i have come across so far... but there's always a "however" :oops:

i am struggling with adding new sites as i'd like to be able to watch videos from archives of czech and slovak TVs like JOJ or Prima. i read all the instructions i could find and i don't consider myself technically challenged but i fail all the time. being a n00b, would anyone be willing to give me an idiot-proof guide on how to do it? especially the basics like how to determine the correct stream urls to create a site etc? i've seen it requested here several times in the past but seems that there was no reply to any of those requests...? :D

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: OnlineVideos 0.25 (25.09.2010)

It pretty much boils down to these options:
    1. The website you'd like to add supports RSS feeds that link directly to files that can be played (like mp4 or flv) -> simply create a new Generic site and add the rss feeds in the plugin configuration
    2. The website only offers HTML but you know about regular expressions -> create a new Generic site and use the GenericSiteCreator tool (or any other regex helper tool) to find the expressions for parsing the required infos off the html (they can be set on the Advanced button)
    3. The playback urls are hidden very good and need some tricky logic or the site offers an open API you can base your site on -> you'll have to create a new siteutil in C# (look at the code there are enough utils to use as sample)

If you don't know how to code in c#, don't even know where to begin with a regex, and your website doesn't offer RSS -> find someone who can do your site ;)

hroch2

Portal Member
    October 16, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia

It pretty much boils down to these options:
    1. The website you'd like to add supports RSS feeds that link directly to files that can be played (like mp4 or flv) -> simply create a new Generic site and add the rss feeds in the plugin configuration
    2. The website only offers HTML but you know about regular expressions -> create a new Generic site and use the GenericSiteCreator tool (or any other regex helper tool) to find the expressions for parsing the required infos off the html (they can be set on the Advanced button)
    3. The playback urls are hidden very good and need some tricky logic or the site offers an open API you can base your site on -> you'll have to create a new siteutil in C# (look at the code there are enough utils to use as sample)

If you don't know how to code in c#, don't even know where to begin with a regex, and your website doesn't offer RSS -> find someone who can do your site ;)

you volunteer? :D i'm trying really hard already to find someone 'cause it seems that it's not gonna be a thing my skills are up to. i might be a lama after all... thanks though for the superquick reply. :D and if there's any chance that the streams could be added in a next update, please let me know and i'll send you the links...

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I'm full into keeping the plugin up with feature requests and bugreports + keeping some other sites up2date, I don't think I can manage any more sites. Would be best to find someone from that country ;)

hroch2

Portal Member
    October 16, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia

I'm full into keeping the plugin up with feature requests and bugreports + keeping some other sites up2date, I don't think I can manage any more sites. Would be best to find someone from that country ;)

and there goes another challenge :D i'll go start looking. thanks offbyone for your quick response. and keep up the good work!

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England

It's so nice to see a new poster being polite and helpful :)
    It's such a breath of fresh air...

hroch2 - welcome to the community :D

keith_leitch

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2009
    Australia
    Home Country

Stupid questions is how most of us learn!

Things like adding the specs to your profile help immensely and it shows that you are at least willing to help yourself too :)

Thanks for understanding. I've done my best on a "quick job" with the system specs, and will add a bit more detail later.

I agree that posting reasonable requests is a shared responsibility.

HochR: Would you be interested in joining a separate thread where newbies could share knowledge of RSS feeds, XML strings, etc.? Setting up my own feeds from Australian sites is something that iinterests me, but I envision a lot of discussion that might not suit this thread. Would anyone else join? Would the veterans be willing to stop by once in awhile?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom