OnlineVideos Plugin (now with Apple trailers) (v0.32 01-28-2008) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    patricon - Did you read what I posted a couple of messages back? I had tested this plugin with an older version that had been working, and now it doesn't. That implies that the fault is not with the new version or with the developers but with the source websites. That happens in many areas where developers are contantly trying to stay up with ever changing website to get content into MP.

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm sorry for the tone of my words in my previous post. But i feel that after more than two years, MediaPortal is still in the same point than in the beggining. I just know that it's istill very buggy... it's very difficult to setup and use and i know that it's by far the most powerfull media center software available... but the problem is that it just not work fine. Integrated Vista Media Center works... smooth, less features, but it works... TVedia well... it works very STABLE and very fine. and media portal.... hmm.... a lot of features, very TV oriented (to my taste) but a lot of bugs... only trying to use mp to play divx videos or xvid... and A LOT of problems... skinning?? well, it's better not to speak about the skinning method... there is no standards, the interface is allways changing, there is no tool for design skins, etc. The plugins system.... pfeww... it's very hard to use, and that's the reason why there is so few plugins... take a look a TVedia system to develop plugins... IT'S AMAZING!!! only javascript basic scripting to create your own plugins, if MP could have a system like this... i'm sure that the number of plugins could be multiplied by 10. Or the same system than Messenger Plus! Live that also uses javascript to allow users create their own plugins... I feel that the real problem in MP is a bad organization, a lot of people pressing the door in the wrong direction. MP staff should take a bit of perspective and make a list with the priorities. For me, these are very simple:

- Interface. The first, HTPC software should be attractive for use even to persons who doesn't know very much about computers.
    - Stability.
    - Easy to configure for basic functions (view photos, listening music, watching videos, view the tv, and may be receiving some data from Internet)

Now, mzemina, i can agree with you, as a programmer, i know about the dificulties for making software like this. BUT take a look about how many plugins stop working after some weeks, or months (messenger plugin, my keys plugin (working but limited functions, and stopped developement) weather overlay, my status.. etc etc) and the problem is that a lot of plugins are ONLY available for using with one or two skins... mp is a total madness...

sorry for my words and best regards, i want the best for MP.

Anthrax

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2007
    pretty much in the center
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well patricon,

i still don't get your point... Looks like MediaPortal just isn't for you, so why don't you stick with something else then?

But what i really don't get is the fact, that you are following MP for over two years, are a programmer yourself but registrated in the forum as late as this month?

Did you ever actually tried to solve any of the problems you mentioned or at least helped with bug reports or user guides for newbees like myself?

I'm using MP for 1/2 year now and yes, not everything works as it should...
    BUT i don't expect it to run as smoothly as commercial software and kinda like the abillity to play and tinker with it.

Stick with commercial software, when you expect everything running just fine (if that)... Or: save your bucks, feel welcome in this wonderful community, wait for the stable releases and use the fine ability to CHANGE/AFFECT the software you are using.

Bye,
    Anthrax

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Here is what I found with a version (0.2.2.0 release 12633 build, 14.01 2007/22:45 CET SVN) that was working before! Using BlueTwo skin.

YouTube - shows listings, but when selected the video is black.
    Google Video - Many of the categories (Popular and Random) have no listings, but Music Videos have content and able to play.
    Grouper - Able to play content ok, no issues.
    MetaCafe - only shows new videos category listing, but selecting any video will show the waiting animation, blink the screen and listing screen is still there, no change.
    Daily Motion - behaves just like MetaCafe.
    BlipTV - Behaves just like YouTube.
    GameTrailers - Able to play content ok, no issues.
    Video Jug - behaves just like MetaCafe.
    VidiLife - Able to play content ok, no issues.
    Apple Trailers - (see Haali Media Splitter appear in systray) - just see the spinning waiting animation.

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    The hover picture is not showed, i've verified that the xml file has this entry:

<define>#header.hover:hover_onlinevideos.png</define>

but, the picture is not showed. why?

regards,

Fidoboy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2006
    Spain
    yep i've tried to solve it but doesn't work, the hover picture is not being showed when online videos is selected in home menu....

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The hover image is defined by the author of the plugin and gregmac hasn't defined a hover image as I can see in the source code.
    The definition in the skin file is only a reference, which can be used in the skin file or included common skin files.
    I hope that it was clear enough for you all.

MisterD

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Ok, let's wait that the author could add a hover image into source code.

spenca

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello patricon,

i suppose you are using svn-versions and might already know that these are always cutting edge untested builds. Stable versions are clearly marked as such and there is absolutely no point in blaming the devs for instable subversions, evergrowing bugs, skin support, etc.

A whole bunch of people are putting their hearts into this awesome software - please never forget this. So be patient, polite and try to help by finding and reporting the bugs that are nagging you or try to fix them yourself and add value not fire to this forum.

bye,
    Anthrax

PS: I know I shouldn't have replied to this sort of post. Let's all get over it.

servus anthrax!

the online videos plugin is explicitly for svn versions of mp, so no stable release possible, isn't it?

greetings!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom