(Original Post) Preview : 'EVE' (4 Viewers)

hardylane

Portal Member
March 5, 2012
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Or maybe you need to learn that MediaPortal is an open source project, not the product of a corporation that you need to pay. If you want something to be improved or released (earlier), you help out. Just criticising, while easy, is totally unhelpful. Everyone would like for MP to work perfectly and Eve to be released years ago, but that's simply not possible because we're bound by the time volunteers want to invest.

I get that... I understand the open source ethos.... but I have never had such a carrot dangled (erroneously, as it turned out) and then had to wait so long for anything to (yet) appear. Free or not, paid or not....[DOUBLEPOST=1361186288][/DOUBLEPOST]
^^ What is the point of this except making yourself look like an [editet out by The_Stig: no need to insult each other]? o_O

Emph

Seems like you people are the [editet out by The_Stig: no need to insult each other]... I made a perfectly decent point about the Eve vaporware project....but if this really is just a place to blindly say "Ooooh I want that.... drool" (like so many poor sods have been doing), then I'll leave you to your worship or an as-yet unavailable, untested product...

Last edited by a moderator:

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hardylane, what is hard to understand? We are working on this as hard as we can and I'm alone developing on limited spare time. Sure, it's been a long time since the original thread was started that contained mockups only. But I have been really clear and honest about where we are and how much time we can put into this project. When having this information, how can you continue ranting? I'm reluctant to post more about how it is going with the project since people like you complain that it's never released. It's a lose lose situation. If I post more status updates you complain, if I stop posting you complain that the project is dead...

1. Mockups was first posted about 15 months ago.
    2. I started a new thread with only real screen dumps and a video showing the real status of the project four months ago. This to be fair to all.
    3. Since then support for streaming has been added.
    4. Since then support for Radio has been added. This required work on the WifiRemote API.

You must understand that it's a lot of peaces that need to come together and developed at the same time. MediaPortal, MPExtended, WifiRemote, iViewer.

How do you expect me to react on your comments? Do you think they make me more positive towards spending even more hours for making this into an working app that can be used by all.

Hardylane, please make another ranting thread in the MediaPortal 1 forum about issues you have. I was hoping that this thread could be about the status of the project.

Legind

Portal Member
    September 16, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just got an iPad and looking on forums for an app, this looks like much more than I expected, to have the ability to stream any content form my media portal server and to control any of my HTPC tv's via wifi all in one app is going to be great. I hope you don't get disheartened by the few impatient people posting, if they don't want to wait they can make there own app.

Schicksal

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i didn't talk mad abaout this projekt
    i'm just sad about this long time and i'm still waiting and hoping that it will be as good as it look like ^^

onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And I've never seen XBMC post a load of mockups and make people wait 14 months for something.

The tv/pvr carrot has been long dangling from Xbmc and it still isn't done even on a pvr release (may 2010 according to wiki it was in development). The only way to get decent tv out of it is to in fact use media portal and that requires losing the main benefit of switching to Xbmc in the first place... Windows

In more then happy to give Xbmc a go when tvheadend can provide the features I need for tv, but at the moment I get the same functionality as simply plugging my tv on to my network and playing movies from my nas

HabKeinPlan

January 17, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello johanj,
    I know, I shouldn't ask again.:) but...
    Are you working on EVE? Is there a little bit of progress?
    Many thanks for your work!

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi

Yes, I and Joost are almost daily working on Eve and we are making progress:) We work when we have time and each GIT commit is not always large but the below graph show the number of commits...

Commits.PNG

We have been working on things like latest media panels for Home screen. User settings for views, sorting, streaming profiles, initialization dialogs. Check connection dialogs, multi-seat setup, stream player. In-app upgrading so we do not need to both Command Fusion to re-bundle Eve with their iViewer each time we want to upgrade Eve.

Command fusion recently added some new screen shots from Eve on their iViewer gallery:
    http://www.commandfusion.com/software/iviewer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom