(Original Post) Preview : 'EVE' (1 Viewer)

oekie

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 25, 2008
    Gennep
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can't wait till its ready! Keep up the good work guys!

hardylane

Portal Member
    March 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    In July last year I made a big post criticising the handling of the Eve project, and got some good answers, but now it's time to make another posting I think.

I have dumped Media Portal on every machine I own. I grew tired of the configuration issues, the codec issues, and the endless tweaking seemingly needed just to make the thing work. I have switched back to XBMC, my original media centre of choice, and the new release of this now has PVR features, making Media Portal redundant, in my view. The speed, solidity and ease of use are head and shoulders above what MP has been able to achieve. The OpenELEC version is phenomenal - a 15 second bootup with no Windows overhead....

As a result, I'm no longer interested in Eve which was, in all honesty, a slegehammer to crack a nut for me, since the proposed home automation control was not needed.

I'm glad, actually.. I can stop bothering to check for updates, which I have done for nearly two years. Yes, two years. Starting with the misleading mockups and half-truths and of the limited updates, and of course no sign of any actual software, even in a beta.

I may come back to this in the future, because I do keep an open mind, but for now, Eve is, to me (and probably should be for others) vaporware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Dam, hardylane. You really piss me off. :mad: My personal opinion is that the community is better off without you, please do not bother me again in this thread.

You complain about MediaPortal not working but you have never asked for help in the forum, never posted logs that show issues together with a bug report so the software can improve. I see that you have made two post in this forum, both in this thread complaining about Eve never being released.

Talk about posting misleading stuff. I just checked the original post from the end of Nov 2011, that is when I jumped on this project. That is 1 year and three moths ago.

I have never given a release data and will not do that. I'm the only developer now, Joost is designing graphics.

I'm a 35 years old, have a pregnant wife and a 2.5 year old son at home. I'm a software developer and since half a year ago manager for a software team of ten people. We are testing a release candidate for a new software at work and several other development projects are running in parallel.So my work life is quite hectic.

Apart from that I'm developing Eve on my spare time whenever I get a chance, probably while you are sleeping. I have made over 200 commits to git since I started. And you ask me to work harder:mad:[DOUBLEPOST=1361172014][/DOUBLEPOST]So what is going on...We are still working hard.

Command Fusion has kindly given away two licenses for Eve beta testers. Two MediaPortal team members have accepted to test Eve together with development versions of MPExtended and WifiRemote (We depend on features on the 0.6 branch of MPExtended)

Radio support has been added to WifiRemote.

I could write more but I'm quite tiered of posting here and still annoyed after reading the post from hardylane...

Last edited:

onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just ignore him/her.

For some reason xbmc/Linux fanboys get very aggressive and protective over rival products. I don't know why, same reason Xbox fanboys compare cock sizes against playstation owners I guess.

I'm guessing he/she is tied in to xbmc in some way, go see the comments xbmc users posted on the 1.3 beta release post on Engadget. I'd be embarrassed if I was an xbmc developer tbfh.

Xbmc pvt/tv is still awful, no time shift doesn't even get a look in for me ('more then willing to test/try things new). As for openelec, they don't support my tv tuner - tbs 6981 so I haven't bothered looking at that either

Keep up the good work, eve still looks fantastic and I can't wait to get my grubby mits on it.

Ps willing to help out if I can, I'm a web developer (html, photoshop, php, javascript, MySQL) so not sure if my skill set is useful on this project or not. Feel free to pm if so

Thanks
    Ian

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @jahanj, please ignore the stupid comments, but learn from why they are caused - your team posted the first very final looking screenshots long time ago and stated a few times that you are already using this at home. This creates envy - first you hold a nice looking steak (for the carnivorous amongst us) up to our mouth and snatch it away. I know this is for real good reason (whish you the best of joy with your coming parenthood, it is much better than twiddling with MediaPortal ;-), but still you need to understand the others as well.

Next time, just avoid letting people drool so much. I know this is reducing your ability to find a team as well, but keep it a bit more low profile would have helped here.

So to all: Leave the Eve Team working their bit (maybe they still can squeeze some iPad 1 support in there ;-)
    To the Eve team: this is just people that wanted what you are doing

hardylane

Portal Member
    March 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Dam, hardylane. You really piss me off. :mad: My personal opinion is that the community is better off without you, please do not bother me again in this thread.

Diddums.

Talk about posting misleading stuff. I just checked the original post from the end of Nov 2011, that is when I jumped on this project. That is 1 year and three moths ago.

I have never given a release data and will not do that. I'm the only developer now, Joost is designing graphics.

I stand corrected. Maybe it just feels like two years..

I could write more but I'm quite tiered of posting here and still annoyed after reading the post from hardylane...

Sorry you can't take criticism. That would be a good addition to your personality.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Or maybe you need to learn that MediaPortal is an open source project, not the product of a corporation that you need to pay. If you want something to be improved or released (earlier), you help out. Just criticising, while easy, is totally unhelpful. Everyone would like for MP to work perfectly and Eve to be released years ago, but that's simply not possible because we're bound by the time volunteers want to invest.

hardylane

Portal Member
    March 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Just ignore him/her.

For some reason xbmc/Linux fanboys get very aggressive and protective over rival products. I don't know why, same reason Xbox fanboys compare cock sizes against playstation owners I guess.

I'm guessing he/she is tied in to xbmc in some way, go see the comments xbmc users posted on the 1.3 beta release post on Engadget. I'd be embarrassed if I was an xbmc developer tbfh.

Wow, hostile, aren't we?... and you call ME a fanboy?! No I'm an end user who wants a working media centre.... and preferably something not as bloated and unwieldy as Media Portal. Such a shame really... I had such high hopes.... which XBMC has now fulfilled. That's called consumer's choice, not being a "fanboy". I don't use Linux in any other context... and I'm not a "boy" at all.

Xbmc pvt/tv is still awful, no time shift doesn't even get a look in for me ('more then willing to test/try things new). As for openelec, they don't support my tv tuner - tbs 6981 so I haven't bothered looking at that either

It serves my purpose for now. XBMC's stability in other areas win out over its PVR limitations. Maybe you should try XBMC's Windows version?

And I've never seen XBMC post a load of mockups and make people wait 14 months for something.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    ^^ What is the point of this except making yourself look like an [EDITED out by The_Stig. Reason: No need for insulting each other]? o_O

Emph

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom