(original thread) MCE Replacement Plugin v1.0.0 | Page 19

Discussion in 'IR Server Suite (IRSS)' started by and-81, September 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikethefin

mikethefin Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Hi Aaron

it also turns off and turns on my tv !!!!

Thanks
    Mike

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. and-81
    • Premium Supporter

and-81 Retired Team Member

IT Consultant/Developer
    Ratings:
    +183 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Well then,

My work here is done.

;)

4. donaldkennedy

donaldkennedy Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Wales Wales
    MCEReplacementtray works - sort of!

Aaron

I've had a go with MCEReplacementtray this weekend. Downloaded it, set it up to load mediaportal.exe, both as single instance and not. Either way, MCEReplacementTray does what it's supposed to - it allows me to press the green button and loads MP from Windows. Great....

But.....

When MCEReplacementTray is running, I can't use the remote in MP! Tried both the MS and the replacement driver, no joy. So at the moment I have a choice - use MCEReplacementTray and have the ability to load MP from within windows, or not use MCEReplacementTray and have a functioning remote within MP. Given how good your replacement MCE driver and plugin are, there's no choice there!

Could you take a look at some point, and see if you can identify why it's overriding the driver inside MP? No rush, but it would be kinda handy!!

Cheers

Donald

5. and-81
    • Premium Supporter

IT Consultant/Developer
    Ratings:
    +183 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    New MCE Replacement Tray

Thanks Donald,

I've done a re-write of the tray app, trying to solve the problem. It turns out that UnRegistering from the API is not enough to enable other apps to use the driver because the API dll keeps the driver tied up once you load it. So if two apps are loaded and use the MceIr.dll then only the first app loaded will get access to the remote.

I think I can fix this behaviour with a modification to the MceIr.dll. I'll see what I can do.

I've been able to get around it for now by calling the Suspend function from the tray app when it loads mediaportal. The suspend function releases the driver thinking it's about to go into a standby mode.

Anyway, a new version of the tray app is attached. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

PS. If he tray app is running and you load mediaportal by some other method (other than the tray app) then the driver will not be released and mediaportal wont be able to access it. What I'm saying is, if you use the tray app then you have to load mediaportal from the tray app for the remote to work inside mediaportal. Again, hopefully a little change to the mceir.dll will fix this...

Cheers,

6. gommer

gommer Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Aaron,

I've discovered this plugin since a few days's and must say it's just wonderfull, with all it's flexibility and finally beeing able to send messages from Girder without keyboard emulation. :D

First thing, when i'm finished i'll give you a complete Girder config and for those interested, i'l have it mapped for the iMon Pad (Silverstone case).

I ran into a problem, however, hope you can help:
    I can't get the number (NumPadx) buttons to work. All i use them for is direct analog TV tuning, this works from the keybaord, but not if i try it through the Remotex actions from the plugin.

My situation is that i do not have the replacement driver installed, i only use the plugin for message mode, the up/down/left/right buttons DO work, they're in the same category. Also, if i assign any other action (none Remotex) to one of these buttons, they work.

And finally, i have a small suggestion: your plugin is very intuitive to use. There's only one thing that had me puzzled for a while: in the RemoteButton.txt file, the button Oem8, maps to the ' * ' button in the plugin, this is not obvious. I think you should change names in one of both places. This is probably the case too for OemGate and the ' # ', although i did not check this one yet.

Hope you can help me out, this will just make it perfect for all Girder fans.

Thanks, Marc

7. VdR
    • Premium Supporter

VdR MP Donator

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Gommer,

Looks like you have the same problem I have had (I use HIP and the message plugin).

I solved this by having HIP emulate the keyboard for the numeric buttons rather than send messages to the plugin. Works like a charm.

There is also a message (#162) in this thread showing how to edit the 'MCE Replacement.xml' file to fix this problem.

Hope this helps.

8. and-81
    • Premium Supporter

IT Consultant/Developer
    Ratings:
    +183 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Thanks you, that would be great.

I've incorporated that change into the plugin download package and will be posting it to the main site download section shortly.

Thanks, I will try to improve that, but it will probably be in documentation rather than implementation.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

9. gommer

gommer Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Thanks for the support guys.

The link to post #162 was very usefull, i never seem to be able to find things through the search of this forum. And i must admit that i've never read the complete thread.

One more question. Is there a difference in sending keystrokes directly from Girder, opposed to a send(post)message from girder and translating it to a keystroke through the plugin?

I ask because i prefer using sendmessage from girder, because it is more reliable than emulating keystroles (keystrokes can be missed when cpu is busy, messages never get lost).

Cheers, Marc

10. and-81
    • Premium Supporter

IT Consultant/Developer
    Ratings:
    +183 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Messages are better, for the reason you mentioned and also because they are mapped through MediaPortal's Input Handler which gives you context sensitivity.

I don't recommend keystroke mapping wherever possible.

I also find the forum search feature a little hit and miss.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

11. VdR
    • Premium Supporter

VdR MP Donator

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    The interpretation of key strokes and remote commands are seperated and is context driven in MP. So there can be differences, but I don't know that there are. I have not noticed anything with my work around.

I agree sending messages is the 'clean' way to do things. So make the changes to the XML file or wait until and-81 releases the next version.

VdR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!