(original thread) MCE Replacement Plugin v1.0.0 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldkennedy

Portal Member
April 3, 2005
Swansea
Home Country
Wales Wales
Aaron

The "new" MCEReplacementTray works a dream - thanks for that. Bizarrely it also seems to help with unloading MP from memory when coming out of MP (I've been having a few minor problems with that since 0.2.1). Coincidence? Who knows, I'm just happy with what I've got!

You might want to consider bundling the tray app with the plugin rather than having it as a separate download - the whole "MPTray" issue is something that comes up over and over again on the forums, and a bundled package might be something that helps newcomers...

Have you had any luck talking to the devs about incorporating your work into MP as a whole (perhaps once the TV Server bits of it are written and tested, so maybe at 0.3)? It's such a comprehensive remote control manager that it would make a massive contribution to the rest of the project, imo.

Cheers again for all your help

Donald

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
the whole "MPTray" issue is something that comes up over and over

I gave the team full permission to integrate mptray a long time ago. When they have time they will do so.

OT/BTW Hi Donald, you're living pretty darn close to me, as a hint my local rugby team beat the Aussies on Wednesday :p. Sorry to my Australian buddies on the forum :D.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Also, and-81 you chose a much better route than me by basing your work off BZR's code. When I first wrote MyBlaster it was as much for the challenge of getting an undocumented piece of hardware working more than anything else. I used it briefly to control my Sky+ box but that only lasted for a short time.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The "new" MCEReplacementTray works a dream - thanks for that.

You might want to consider bundling the tray app with the plugin rather than having it as a separate download - the whole "MPTray" issue is something that comes up over and over again on the forums, and a bundled package might be something that helps newcomers...

I've just uploaded the plugin to the main download section. I forgot to include the tray app, but I will definately include it in the next release. I'll leave the MCEReplacementTray zip file on here until then.

Have you had any luck talking to the devs about incorporating your work into MP as a whole (perhaps once the TV Server bits of it are written and tested, so maybe at 0.3)? It's such a comprehensive remote control manager that it would make a massive contribution to the rest of the project, imo.

Cheers again for all your help

I haven't spoken to anyone about it yet. If any of the dev's are following this plugin and think it's a good idea, let me know what you'd like me to do and I'll get on it. For now I'll look at incorporating it into my local copy and see how far I get.

Thanks for your support Donald.

Also, and-81 you chose a much better route than me by basing your work off BZR's code. When I first wrote MyBlaster it was as much for the challenge of getting an undocumented piece of hardware working more than anything else. I used it briefly to control my Sky+ box but that only lasted for a short time.

The way I've done it has always fealt like cheating when I see what you had to deal with for MyBlaster. Also, without your efforts on MyBlaster I wouldn't have had something to aim for.

Oh, and didn't anyone tell you guys? Australia only ever loses to build you up for the next defeat... ;)

Cheers,

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Plugin now in download area

Version 1.0 of the plugin has been put on the main download site. This is where all stable updates of the plugin will be posted from now on. I might put development versions up in this thread for testing, but I'll be trying not to.

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, let me know and I'll try to jump straight onto it.

Apart from that, thank you to everyone who has helped me along the last month and a bit. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and contributions, it's been fantastic.

Thank you.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Congratulations and :D Your plug-in is on the download page. Indeed next it should be standard in MP.

You mentioned having a look at the original BZR code. I have been waiting for some-one to pick this up even before I ever heard of MP.

I'm specifically interested in having it deal with additional RC codes. MCEir does not recognize the RC codes for my Samsung LCD TV. It would be so nice to be able to switch this on and off just like my amplifier.

Since you never seem to sleep anyway, you think you will get around to this now?

VdR

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    The way I've done it has always fealt like cheating

Nah don't think like that! For me this is one of the major benefits of open source software, take a bit from here and a bit from there, add your own bits and there you have it, a lovely bit of software written in at least half the time it would have taken otherwise.

Bruno released his code a matter of days before I got MyBlaster to work and if it weren't for me being able to determine the correct device class GUID from his source I may not have ever got MyBlaster running. In return Bruno looked at my code to see how to blast via the second port. He's a really nice guy too, wish he'd do a bit more C# and less C however..

OT: 'Australia only ever loses to build you up for the next defeat...' well I guess thats kind of the way it goes. Either way the Welsh vs Australia match was an absolutely superb game of rugby!

Now I'll shut-up and leave this thread get back on track, happy blasting folks.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks VdR,

Lack of sleep is actually catching up with me at the moment. Funny you should mention that ...

I've started working on the MceIrApi of BZR's. I've mostly just been making minor changes to the code, bringing it into line with VC++ Express and replacing some deprecated functions, etc... It is compiling for me, and I am slowly learning how it works. I've also looked at the BulkUSB driver it uses, but I don't want to touch that if I can avoid it.

I don't want to speculate about when I will have anything to show for it. I really can't say at this stage. But if you can tell me the actual IR protocol your TV uses I will add it to my list (No promises though).

I'll post here whenever I have news.

Cheers,

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Bruno released his code a matter of days before I got MyBlaster to work and if it weren't for me being able to determine the correct device class GUID from his source I may not have ever got MyBlaster running. In return Bruno looked at my code to see how to blast via the second port. He's a really nice guy too, wish he'd do a bit more C# and less C however..

I emailed Peter of BTMI who wrote HIP, he had a lot of contact with Bruno in collaboration for HIP. But he hasn't heard from Bruno in a long time and can't contact him. And there has been no update to the MceIrApi in a long time. Do you know if Bruno is still coding or contactable?

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    It's been 12 months or more since I've been in contact with Bruno and at that time MceIrApi was a distant memory for him. I've PM'd you the e-mail address I used to use when mailing him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom