Picture in picture (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

A me too here, pip would be realy a nice feature!

greetings,

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Really interested... PiP is great for having an eye on commercials in shows.. Outch bad english. tired. :oops:

thiskl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2005
    Perth, Western Australia
    Home Country
    Re: Any interest in this?

CodeMonkey said:
    Only issue I see immediately is how you control it. With no PIP button on the remote (at least my MCE2005 US doesn't have one) how would you turn it off and on, select source for the subwindow, move the subwindow, swap sources, etc.

Controlling PIP from a remote needs more than just one additional button. You also need a mechism to set the context to the subwindow for all the standard functions like channel up/down, volume up/down, mute, etc.

1. Show/Hide Subwindow
    2. Cycle Subwindow Size (small, medium, large, side-by-side)
    3. Cycle Subwindow Location (bottom-right, bottom-left, etc)
    4. Switch Sources
    5. Cycle Window Input Focus (specify context for other functions)

If we're talking about initially supporting PIP for live TV, how about creating additional buttons on the OSD?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

PIP would be nice. But why only TV PIP? What about:
    Video PIP (TV in My Videos)
    Music PIP (Viz in My TV My Videos)

:)

Flip.

A

Anonymous

This is my 2 cents and it may not be all that feasible but it would work forme. Whilst Watching Tv perhaps Info button pree will give OSD with a PIP button to navigate to. Then once pressed you would maintain viewing what you currently are but remote button functions become assigned to the small PIP viewing window for the duration of the window being open. Then if you like what is on in PIP window better erhaps simply pressing Fullscreen button on MCE remote will fullscreen window and make previous tv window become PIP.

Hope that made sense Cause I would use it.

thiskl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2005
    Perth, Western Australia
    Home Country
    simbot82 said:
    This is my 2 cents and it may not be all that feasible but it would work forme. Whilst Watching Tv perhaps Info button pree will give OSD with a PIP button to navigate to. Then once pressed you would maintain viewing what you currently are but remote button functions become assigned to the small PIP viewing window for the duration of the window being open. Then if you like what is on in PIP window better erhaps simply pressing Fullscreen button on MCE remote will fullscreen window and make previous tv window become PIP.

Hope that made sense Cause I would use it.

I guess if you didn't want to swap windows, the same OSD button could simply turn off PIP.

Sounds similar to what I was saying in a prvious post.

BTW: Which button is fullscreen on the MCE remote?

McMorning

October 20, 2004
    How should it work?

So the first problem would to get PiP on the screen. Two running videos at the same time with overlay. Sounds difficult and i don't know how to programm that. So i don't mind about that and describe how a possible usage solution could work with just one key on your RC.

First there has to be a configuration dialog somewhere in MP. In this dialog you set the size and position of that PiP window. Also there has to be a configuration how the PiP Button works when you switch-off the PiP Mode, but this will be explained later.

So now imagine you're watching TV and a commercial break starts. Now i'm gonna switch through all my programms and watch what happens there and from time to time i switch back to my first programm and check if the commercial break is over. With PiP i would imagine the following:
    You're watching a program and at some point you gonna hit the PiP-Button. Now the actual showing programm will pop up in the PiP Window, so you're watching the same programm twice (fullsize and PiP). Now you're gonna zap, open menus, etc. whatever you like in the normal window. The showing channel in the PiP Window doesn't change. But what happens when you now switch-off the PiP Mode?? At this time there could be three possible solutions which came to my mind, maybe someone has some more ideas.
    1. The PiP window will just close and you gonna watch your actual program.
    2. The TV will switch back to the channel of the PiP window and your watching your old channel in full-size.
    3. A menu will open up, where you can select between option 1 and 2 by using cursor keys and enter or just hit the corresponding number key on your RC.
    Which of these three options happens when you hit the PiP Button for switch-off has also to be configured through the above explained config dialog.

Best regards,
    McMorning

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    simbot82 said:
    YEah pretty much what you were saying.

The Bottom left red button mate

http://193.202.63.249/csiga/mce/mce_remote2.JPG

Not all remotes (like the MCE2005 US model) have the red button. That's the difference between the US model and the 'rest of the world' models.

The PIP on my TV only lets you change channels etc. on the large window. So to change the channel on the small one you:
    1) Swap the windows
    2) Change the channel
    3) Swap back

Using this model we would need buttons on the remote to:

1) Turn on/off PIP
    2) Swap windows
    3) Optional buttons to move/resize the small window

Right now the OK button takes you back to the previous channel viewed. I was thinking about turning that into a context menu and add PIP on/off, and PIP swap to go along with previous channel.

Thats the only problem with MP having so many nice features. We don't have enough buttons on the remote. At least you MCE2005 remote users outside the US have those 4 extra buttons. :)

I was also just thinking of doing PIP for live TV first. Then adding other sources after the bugs are worked out of the initial release.

McMorning said:
    So the first problem would to get PiP on the screen. Two running videos at the same time with overlay.

The way I would implement it would require VMR9. So running in overlay would not be an option. Maybe even only VMR9 Windowless, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Good ideas in this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread