Please make "loading.." splash-screen optional (1 Viewer)

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    whats the big problem with it?
    I like it....

It shows MP is actually loading.

X

xenon2000

MrMario64 said:
    whats the big problem with it?
    I like it....

It shows MP is actually loading.

Well, I don't think anything is "wrong" with it either. But I do see how it would be nice to not have it show. Then if the computer is reset and MP is set to autorun, then it will look like it goes straight from the wallpaper background image to the MP home screen. Which would look cool since the start bar is hidden while it is loading.

And if it was optional like many other windows apps, that would be a nice personal control option. Though I don't have a clue to what it would take to make that part optional in the code. And I definately think it's way too early in the development to care about such a trivial option when there are things like Random slideshow options missing. :)

But I too would like the splash screen to be optional.

A

Anonymous

Absolutelly! There is nothing wrong with splash screen, just "I would love to have" item.
    As xenon2000 said, if your desktop wallpaper is same like your MP background you yan set your Windows hide loading screen, show yourdesktop and set MP as shell which will cause efect of "jumping up" MP main menu from background. Nice eye candy I used with myHTPC those days.

U

uni-ka

> whats the big problem with it?
    If there are errors while loading MP their nice little message-boxes are hidden behind the splash - now way to read what's wrong, you can just click "ok" and hope it didn't say "Problem detected. Need to format your Harddisk" :wink:

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    this is one of those features that I'm not in favour of.
    I hate too many options, too many options have killed apps before.

And I like the fact that you get to see it's mediaportal starting up.
    Some skins do not show a logo and this way we r sure that our releases do show it's mediaportal somewhere.

This ensures us a bit that people won't take advantage of us by releasing it without telling it's MediaPortal (system builders)

X

xenon2000

Option or not... it's just a feature request, not a promise

MrMario64 said:
    this is one of those features that I'm not in favour of.
    I hate too many options, too many options have killed apps before.

And I like the fact that you get to see it's mediaportal starting up.
    Some skins do not show a logo and this way we r sure that our releases do show it's mediaportal somewhere.

This ensures us a bit that people won't take advantage of us by releasing it without telling it's MediaPortal (system builders)

Well, I don't see how having it an option would kill the project as if it was a complex and ever involving option.

And as for "people taking advantage of us by releasing it without telling..."

It's opensource, if someone wanted to do that, they could just do that without it having that feature. Maybe I haven't read the GPL close enough, but I am pretty sure removing a splash screen isn't against the GPL.

And again, it's opensource... if someone is going to take advantage, they will do it either way.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't think those who work on MP shouldn't be recognized. But realistically, skins and startup logos isn't where the recognition is anyways.

Actually, if this is opensource, what is stopping someone from removing the splash screen or making it optional and then putting that online for download. That is what the opensource project is all about right.

Personally, I don't care either way... not like I spend lots of time exiting and starting MP over and over again and can't stand it... it's not that at all. I am just posting a few different views on this thread topic.

If it's not optional and MP never gets released that way. I don't care. And if it does... that's fine too. Though seems a little short tempered to just flat out say it's not going to happen. Maybe it will... just not right now.

I still think it's a simple option to add and it won't kill the project. Though I also feel it's a pointless thing to argue about. It's just a feature request section... not a "feature promise me now" section. Add it or not, it's just an idea from the masses.

Users who are viewing this thread