plugin to show HDD space left(in hours?) (1 Viewer)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
There may have to be different plug-ins for different users. ex: Analog compared to DVB

An analog plugin should be able to take the referenced recording quality (as set in the MP setup program) and use that to calculate how much time is left on the drive according to how much free space.

As for DVB couldn't you just take an average of the recording size, or calculate it assuming there would be no commercials? This would less then perfect, but I think people just want a rough time left on their drive, not down to the minute or second! :)

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think it would be the best way if each user could specify the bitrate by himself.
    Means I will make a test recording of 1 hour, see how big the recording is and enter this to amount to the plugin. Now it can easily calculating with this value.
    A one hour recording took about 1,5 GB on my system.
    Means if there are 6 GB left I would be able to record about 4 hours.
    I'm using the regular analog record engine.
    I think we should keep it as easy as possible.

Maybe you can predefine some values for DVB-Card owners and for analog-card owners and the possibility to make a manual entry.

Regards
    Ralph

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ralph said:
    I think we should keep it as easy as possible.

I agree, which is why the bitrate should be pulled right from the value set in the MP Configuration program. For those who don't have Hauppauge cards (which the config setting won't affect), then you should have the option to manually insert your bitrate.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Ralph said:
    Maybe you can predefine some values for DVB-Card owners and for analog-card owners and the possibility to make a manual entry.

The bitrate in DVB-T/S/C streams can vary huge amounts ( I think there aren't any other thechnical limitations than how muc one mux can handle, and in DVB-T it's around 22MBits/s ). So it will be very difficult to estimate the real disk space consumption.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I would prefer it in hard drive space available, rather than the estimated time option. Seems like with mixed TV cards, varying bitrates, etc, getting even a slightly accurate estimate of the time remaining will be difficult for all but the simplest of configurations.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    What about a plugin that learns what you are recording at and shows total HD space and then estimated record time for each setting. Media portal can display the sizes of the shows, so you could use that to average of this size for each setting. It would look at all the sizes of your shows recorded in High Quality and average it out. So when you go to set up a show to record it would tell you how much time you have left for each setting. (High, med, low). I don't know if this could even be done, but seems like a simple way of doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread