PowerScheduler++ 1.4.0.x - Stable versions for MediaPortal 1.4 (4 Viewers)

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Unfortunately, I am very disappointed. I was hoping to let the Windows timeout take over, so as not to have to specify all of the exceptions, but the DVB EPG is keeping my system awake.
It's not only the EPG grabbing but (from about 10 o'clock on) you had TOTALCMD running, which you configured to prevent standby. So please check your configuration both concerning the EPG settings (it is not ok that EPG grabbing takes hours and hours) and the processes configured to prevent standby. By the way: You can also configure EPG grabbing not to prevent standby in the PS++ config...
Since switching to PS++, I also get an error message every time I log in as admin, saying that windows recovered from an exceptional shutdown. This is quite surprising, since I have disable forced shutdown (which I found enabled by default).
You have to distinguish between "shutdown" (power off) and standby (power saving state S3 or S4). If your logs are saying "windows recovered from an exceptional shutdown" then it was a sudden "shutdown" (power off) which does not come from PS++ (not even if it was configured to shut down instead of sleep/hibernate).
Looking at the logs, it looks as though MP is crashing the system almost immediately after waking for EPG grabbing at 4 AM.
From the logs provided I can see nothing at all about a crash at 4:00. What situation (date, time) do you mean?
Since this is supposed to be a separate plugin, I thought I would be able to disable it and go back to the built-in plugin if I didn't like it, but it seems to have replaced the built-in PS plugin completely.
PS++ replaces the original PS plugin, but restores it on uninstall. If you have problems with a clean PS++ uninstall, install and uninstall the beta version of PS++ for one time - this will definitively restore the original PS files.
Even choosing "Hibernate" from MP's own power management menu doesn't work!
What do you mean with "MP's own power manegement menu" and why do you want to configure "hibernate" there and not in the windows power settings (remember: you configured PS++ to let Windows do the standby)?

Michael

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Dear Michael,
    Many thanks for the quick and extensive reply.
    It's not only the EPG grabbing but (from about 10 o'clock on) you had TOTALCMD running, which you configured to prevent standby. So please check your configuration both concerning the EPG settings (it is not ok that EPG grabbing takes hours and hours) and the processes configured to prevent standby. By the way: You can also configure EPG grabbing not to prevent standby in the PS++ config...
    I configured the refusal to shut down when TCMD is running intentionally. TCMD was running from 9:34 to 16:46 and again briefly at 19:13 in the tv.log example I attached to my post. Before I started TCMD, MP had been awake since 4:01. During most of these 5+ hours, PS++ reports "AllowStandby", yet standby doesn't take place. Shortly before 5:00, PS++ tries to briefly "PreventStandby", expecting a reboot at 5:00. However, the reboot is enabled only for Wednesday morning, and the log is for Sunday morning. After 19:13 PS++ seems to be issuing "PreventStandby" up to the time I saved the logfile at 23:11. To my unschooled eye, it looks as though tuner activity is preventing sleep. Since MP was not being used to watch TV, I assume that this was due to EPG grabbing. epg.log seems to report almost continuous EPG grabbing (or at least attempts) from 4:00 until I saved the file. However, I configured PS++ not to prevent sleep while grabbing.
    You have to distinguish between "shutdown" (power off) and standby (power saving state S3 or S4). If your logs are saying "windows recovered from an exceptional shutdown" then it was a sudden "shutdown" (power off) which does not come from PS++ (not even if it was configured to shut down instead of sleep/hibernate).
    All I know is that I am getting these messages (popup dialog on login, not a log entry) regularly since installing PS++, and didn't see them previously.
    From the logs provided I can see nothing at all about a crash at 4:00. What situation (date, time) do you mean?
    I was also unable to find any direct report of an exception in the logs. However, you will observe that the previously provided tv.bak ends at 4:01 Sunday morning, with tv.log beginning about 30 seconds later. Until now it has been my experience that TV Server only starts a new log file when it has started. Since I am unaware of any event which should have restarted TV Server at 4:01, I presume that this reflects the "exceptional shutdown" which Windows complains of. I have a similar hiatus in today's TV logs, which I attach for your convenience and I was also greeted by the same Windows error message, when I logged in this evening with admin privileges.
    PS++ replaces the original PS plugin, but restores it on uninstall. If you have problems with a clean PS++ uninstall, install and uninstall the beta version of PS++ for one time - this will definitively restore the original PS files.
    Thanks, I'll try this out.
    What do you mean with "MP's own power management menu" and why do you want to configure "hibernate" there and not in the windows power settings (remember: you configured PS++ to let Windows do the standby)?
    What I mean is activating the power icon in the upper right corner of the Default Wide home screen and then choosing "Hibernate" from the provided popup list. This is an action, not a configuration. Shortly after my last post, this actually worked for me, but that was the first time since I installed PS++. To the best of my knowledge, I have configured hibernate in Windows (see attached screenshot), haven't I?

Thanks for your support!

P.S. I deinstalled PS++ last night after posting the above, and no longer have the "unexpected shutdown" warning when logging in as admin, nor do I have the hiatus at 4:01 in tv.log. However, there is a hiatus at 4:01 in epg.log (see attached). Is it possible that there is some unexpected interaction between EPG and PS++? It looks as though EPG is having some kind of problem, which is not fatal in combination with the default PS, but maybe causing indigestion in combination with PS++.

Attachments

• Win7advancedPowerSettings.png
      Win7advancedPowerSettings.png
      15.1 KB

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    After having my HTPC shut down unexpectedly a couple of times using the default PowerScheduler. I am making another attempt to use PS++. This time it is working much better. At least the HTPC doesn't seem to stay awake for EPG for long periods of time. Maybe this was due to some problem with EPG.
    However, since reinstalling PS++, I am once again getting the "Unexpected shtudown" message the first time I log in as administrator each day. The logfiles also show the hiatus shortly after PS++'s scheduled wake-up time each day (4 AM, see attached logs). Any ideas what is going on here,or at least how to find out?.

karl10247

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Hi all,

I had a weird occurence just now watching a program from my recorded tv, my system suddenly went to sleep!!
    Is there a process to enter in the config to prevent this?

I currently have: SetupTv, Configuration, BackupManager, comskip

Cheers

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @rsbrux
    The logs are stating that you are not running powerscheduler++, but still the original powerscheduler...

@karl10247
    Your system should not go to sleep while watching recorded tv. Please try to reproduce the error and send full logs of the time the problem occured. Then I can tell you went went wrong...

Michael

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    @rsbrux
    The logs are stating that you are not running powerscheduler++, but still the original powerscheduler...
    It seems to be a problem with the installer. I installed PS++ by using the "Browse and install" feature in MP Configuration. For Backup Settings, this also installs the TV Server plugin as expected. In this case it seems to have installed only the client plugin. Screenshots attached. I will deinstall and then reinstall by runnning the installer from outside of MP config.
    Thanks for your support!

P.S. I stopped TV Server manually from TVsetup and then installed by running MPEI from the MP Configuration as described above. This time it seems to have worked correctly.

P.P.S. After correcting the installation, I had the same behaviour reported earlier, i.e. no shutdown. The HTPC stayed on all night and all day. Unfortunately, I neglected to save the log files before upgrading to 1.2.3 today. I will report back if the problems persist on the new MP release.

Attachments

• MPconfig wPS++.png
      MPconfig wPS++.png
      86.3 KB
    • PS++ installed wMPEI.png
      PS++ installed wMPEI.png
      21.3 KB
    • TVsetup wPS.png
      TVsetup wPS.png
      20.7 KB

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    As reportet some time ago for a reason I don't see MP suddenly goes to sleep during Videoplayback - and wakes up again after about 5 minutes ...

Lucky this time I have logs - but I can't see the reason ...

**Edit** - Forget it ... after installing theUpdate to 1.2.3 the original plugin has replaced Powersheduler ++ and seems as some of the setting werer active - reinstalling Powersheduler solved it

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    After updating to MP 1.2.3 I reinstalled PS++, but had the same experience described previously. MP stays up all night for EPG, even though "Prevent standby when grabbing EPG" is unchecked. I also have the previously described hiatus in log files every morning at 4:00 (wake-up time for EPG grabbing). Logs are attached. I have gone back to the original (default) PS, and MP now goes to sleep as expected. The logfile hiatus is still there, so this may be a problem with EPG, not with PS or PS++

Attachments

• PS++.zip
      1.4 MB

gurken

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    After updating to MP 1.2.3 I reinstalled PS++, but had the same experience described previously. MP stays up all night for EPG, even though "Prevent standby when grabbing EPG" is unchecked. I also have the previously described hiatus in log files every morning at 4:00 (wake-up time for EPG grabbing). Logs are attached. I have gone back to the original (default) PS, and MP now goes to sleep as expected. The logfile hiatus is still there, so this may be a problem with EPG, not with PS or PS++
    had the same problem today, system waked up @ 04:00 clock but standby works well as always, attached the log and some screens

Attachments

• Unbenannt-2.png
      Unbenannt-2.png
      44.5 KB
    • Unbenannt-4.png
      Unbenannt-4.png
      28.3 KB

Ambass

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Back to the troubles....

Hi, I've definitely moved on W7-64, and I hit the wall with PowerScheduler(++)...The system never prevent stand-by (S3) from remote control....( Or start->stand-by menu )
    I've done two installation,
    one on my HTPC ( pretty old MB, Asus : M2A-VM, no "Away mode" option in BIOS ), always fail.
    second one on another more recent MB, "Away mode" set=>OK (stand-by prevented-> go to away mode), "Away mode" disabled => same issue as above.

( Logs show stand-by is prevented, but no effect... )

Probably my Mobo is not supporting "Away mode" properly, but I cannot understand there is no way to keep it alive...as it worked perfectly under XP.
    So, what could be the solution ?!?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom