Quick question - skinning MyPics (1 Viewer)

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A quick question please on how MP builds the folder thumbs for MyPictures:

I think it is hard-coded to use previewbackgound.png in the media folder to create the frame for the folder thumb, am I correct?

Many thanks
    RH

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I think it is hard-coded to use previewbackgound.png in the media folder to create the frame for the folder thumb
    Sorry, but it is not clear which thumb you mean. For example, do you mean the square thumb that has four tiny pictures embedded within it? This is used for each item in folder view, and is also the value of #selectedthumb for the item that has the focus.

Can you post a screen shot with the relevant thumb identified?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    Sorry, but it is not clear which thumb you mean

My apologies for not being clear, yes the square thumb with the four pictures is the one I mean, although it isn't square in my skin as it is stretched to 16:9 ratio, but the folder.jpg image that is also created is 500x500 within each picture folder.

I was just wondering which graphic is used to create the background so that I can edit it in my skin/theme. I think it is probably previewbackground.png but am not certain, and before I change it I thought I had better ask,

Thanks as ever
    RH

Example pictures thumb.png

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I think it is probably previewbackground.png
    The MP skin engine does have various hard-coded names for things, but for images they usually have names that begin "Default" (but this may not be true for all cases).

Looking at your screen shot, the background used for the thumb looks as though it changes from dark in the lower left to bright in the top right. Does your version of "previewbackground" do that? Mine does not -- it changes from dark at the bottom to bright at the top (no left/right variation). But of course you may have a different version for your skin.

I have just scanned the MP source code looking for occurrences of "previewbackground", and the only place that it is used is in "Utils.cs", where this error message text occurs:
    Utils: Your skin does not supply previewbackground.png to create CreateTileThumb!
    So it looks as though that is indeed the image file used to create the tiled thumb. (y)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    @Rob Hexenmeister if you change previewbackground.png you need delete all folder.jpg and recreate it with new background :)

Exactly what I did over the weekend and it has worked. Folder thumbs looking much better with black faded edges. I also adjusted the border widths so when zoomed to 16:9 they appear even all the way round. Shame about the cross in the middle being a little distorted but there is no way around that.

Users who are viewing this thread