Refresh Rate Control Plugin (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
That might seems dumb but i dont really see the point of changing RR depending on FR. I have never felt a discomfort on any FR, my projector or PC screen always being at the same RR. Could someone explain to me, i would love to understand and may be even use this plugin ;)

Thanks

Movies are normally filmed at a rate of 24 frames per second (fps)

Television/video systems are usually run at a frame/fieldrate of nearly 60fps (USA/Japan) or 50fps (the rest of the world).

Computersystems are (after LCD-screens became the norm) usually operated at "exactly" 60fps.

What happens when a video-file that is 24fps or 50fps or whatever is played on a screen that is 60fps? Several things might happen. The movie may be played frame-for-frame (faster or slower than real-life), but this may mean that audio and video is out of sync after a while. Or the video may be "frame-rate-converted", usually by repeating or dropping frames. This leads to small "jerks" or "stutters" in the video, especially visible on the scrolling text after the movie, or slow camera pans.

For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judder#2:3_pulldown

-k

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Original version of this plugin should work fine.

Only problem with the current version is that it only accepts frame rates as integer like "24" or "48" and therefore, like most of the .mkv files have, "23.976" is not possible :(

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England

Only problem with the current version is that it only accepts frame rates as integer like "24" or "48" and therefore, like most of the .mkv files have, "23.976" is not possible :(

I believe this is a legacy of how Powerstrip can only take integer values when communicated via Win32 messaging.

I'd seriously recommend using Reclock + RunEvent.vbs, it savings doing anything in Mediaportal but also gives greater control.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

I believe this is a legacy of how Powerstrip can only take integer values when communicated via Win32 messaging.

I'd seriously recommend using Reclock + RunEvent.vbs, it savings doing anything in Mediaportal but also gives greater control.

You're right, it is a restriction in Powerstrip API. It would be possible to modify the plugin so that it would send the whole modeline settings to Powerstrip instead of only refresh rate. I've been planning this but don't know when I have the time to implement it.

However, for those who are running Vista, I think Reclock + RunEven.vbs is not an option.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    You're right, it is a restriction in Powerstrip API. It would be possible to modify the plugin so that it would send the whole modeline settings to Powerstrip instead of only refresh rate. I've been planning this but don't know when I have the time to implement it.

You can do that now, it's just you need a registered Powerstrip and some fiddly settings in the RefreshRateControl.

However, for those who are running Vista, I think Reclock + RunEven.vbs is not an option.

Sadly true :( I went back from Vista for this reason, because I can't live without Reclock.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    kenwonders, you're right. I forgot that the RefreshRateControl "test" version posted in somewhere at page 2 in this thread (and by you later) supports changing Powerstrip profiles and timings too!

But the problems is still that RefreshRateControl accepts refresh rates to be used as "events" only as integers. For example, I would like to refresh rates "23.976" and "24" be totally different events and therefore different timings, but currently this is not possible because 23.976 and 24 both will be detected as 24 and send an "event" 24.

With Powerstrip timings I can make both 23.976 and 24 timings, but without correct event it is not possible to use the correct one.

(24 timings for Blu-Rays, 23.976 timings for most of my .mkv files)

jodo234

Portal Member
    June 22, 2008
    hi,

does this plugin only change refresh rates when the built in movie player is used or would this plugin also work, when i replaced built in movie player with media player classic?
    for blueray playback i used the hd starter (can be found in this thread https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-powerdvd-working-solution-32268/index25.html ), will this plugin work here too or will i have to change it by myself then?

/EDIT: furthermore i dont have an esnipes account, can i download the RefreshRateControlTest.zip somehwere else, too?

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    hi,

does this plugin only change refresh rates when the built in movie player is used or would this plugin also work, when i replaced built in movie player with media player classic?
    for blueray playback i used the hd starter (can be found in this thread https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-powerdvd-working-solution-32268/index25.html ), will this plugin work here too or will i have to change it by myself then?

/EDIT: furthermore i dont have an esnipes account, can i download the RefreshRateControlTest.zip somehwere else, too?

No, it will only work with the internal player. Check out reclock + RunEvent.vbs + Powerstrip for something that will work with any media player.

jodo234

Portal Member
    June 22, 2008
    hm ok.
    i tried to build an own solution, creating profiles for my 8800gtx and then change between them with shortcuts controlled via autohotkey, so that i can use "5" on my hauppauge remote for 50 and "4" for 24.
    but i just realized that when i set 1920x1080 in my 8800gtx my screen shows up 1920x1080@60hz in info mode. when i switch over to 24hz screen shows up 1920x1080i @60hz :(
    will try around a bit with some drivers :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom