Releasing MediaPortal 2 Alpha version (1 Viewer)

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How does the MP2 Server work? Can i install it on my Homeserver where the MP1 Server runs too?

But i think then ony one of them can use the TV Card?

PS: The look and feel of the Client is awesome. Nice work!

ronzelver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 13, 2008
    Sittard
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    How does the MP2 Server work? Can i install it on my Homeserver where the MP1 Server runs too?

But i think then ony one of them can use the TV Card?

PS: The look and feel of the Client is awesome. Nice work!

You can install the MP2 server on the same host as where you have MP1 TV Server running.
    Since MP2 Server has not (yet) TV services included it will cause no conflicts.
    Please be aware that MP2 Alpha only runs on Windows7 (32 or 64 bit).

vincewarde

Portal Member
    March 28, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just a few thoughts from a new user of 1.2......

First, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, may I suggest that if at all possible that the client software support XP (and perhaps Vista too). One of the things I really love about 1.2 is that I can run the client software on my older PCs.

Just a thought.

riggnix

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Just a few thoughts from a new user of 1.2......

First, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, may I suggest that if at all possible that the client software support XP (and perhaps Vista too). One of the things I really love about 1.2 is that I can run the client software on my older PCs.

Just a thought.

If your PC runs XP, it will run win7 also. I'm running Win7 on my old AthlonXP 2000+ (1,6GHz) with 1GB RAM, works like charm. You just have to disable visual styles and other eye candy, but basically it runs smoother than XP.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    What I have found:

sooo much faster.

not sure about the config within the main UI, I think I like it but in MP1 I sometimes configured remotely (in a second RDP session), still I think its probably best in the main UI, possibly with a pin or way to hide it (although I personally would just leave it available).

When I opened a photo it shoed for a few seconds then closed, I'm probably just missing the option but I would prefer it stayed open till I pressed a button.

In settings when I go to set the data or time format it says to use the format from the .net class, I don’t know if this is still a TODO item but how is a normal user supposed to have a clue what that means?

The online videos plugin does not hide the pin protected channels (I know this really should be in the online videos plugin forum)

when I tried the PIP I found that swapping the mini picture to the main picture the sound stayed as it was, I ended up with the sound from my mini picture playing (probably should be noting this with that plugin I suppose)

nlucier

Portal Member
    June 8, 2009
    Home Country
    In setting up the weather I could not see a way to tell it to show the temperature as Fahrenheit, wind as mi/h, Precipitation as in & Pressure as inHg. Am I just missing these settings?

Also, is it possible to have the State name along side the city in the Add City dialog?

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In future we will expose a setting to change the preferred units. For now you can manually edit the file

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Config\[YourUserName]\MediaPortal.UiComponents.Weather.Settings.WeatherSettings.xml
    and change exactly the values for
    <Property Name="TemperatureUnit">
    <TempUnit>Fahrenheit</TempUnit>
    </Property>
    <Property Name="WindSpeedUnit">
    <SpeedUnit>Mph</SpeedUnit>
    </Property>
    The WorldWeatherOnline.com source does not provide other units for precipitation and pressure, we would need to convert the units internally.

(btw: we could even implement a automatically pre-selection of units depending on the MP2 regional setting: according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States only 3(!) states are using non-metric units. should this make someone wondering? :D)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In setting up the weather I could not see a way to tell it to show the temperature as Fahrenheit, wind as mi/h, Precipitation as in & Pressure as inHg. Am I just missing these settings?

Also, is it possible to have the State name along side the city in the Add City dialog?
    I've implemented automatic detection of the region / use of metric system (https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/commit/948f82bcec4b81773d0d46cbc834b417d9a43d89). The next build will have this feature included :)

Only thing you need to do is to set is the correct language under "settings/regional/language"

enchant

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Apparently I'm the only dunce in the room, because I don't see anyone else with the problems I've got. Although I admit that I haven't read through all 12 pages of posts.

I downloaded the alpha installer and started it up. It asks me if I want client and/or server. Sorry, but huh? I'm running MP1, and it's a program that I use primarily to play recorded tv shows and movies I've got on my drive. I don't know where a "client" or "server" fits into this. I simply want to replicate what I'm doing with v1.

I just took a wild guess and went with "client only". The install didn't present me with any errors, but if I then click on the new MP2 icon on my desktop, I get a pretty "MP2" splash screen for a few seconds, then it goes away quietly. I don't know if anything is running in the background, but I was expecting some sort of screen where I could start configuring.

Thinking that I must have guessed wrong, I reinstalled and added the server. Little changed, other than that there's an additional icon on the desktop. This opens a window that says "Attached clients" (none are listed). Clicking on the original MP2 icon does the same as before.

Am I completely misunderstanding what this program does?

Thanks for any help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom