Remote Control (1 Viewer)

SMa

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2007
    Helsinki - Finland
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Yesterday I wanted to order 2 MS Remote Controls, but the shopkeeper said it's an end-of-life product.
    Is there an alternative cheap (external/usb) remote control?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, you most probably will miss it if you're used to having them, but there seem to be a "remote-vacuum" ATM, and these are seem to be the best cheap remotes around.

Of topic: I find it kinda strange that a stand-alone DVD player w/decent housing and remote is much cheaper than any HTPC part.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I agree with PD; hardware encoding is a "must". In general I'd say get two cards in stead of a hybrid;
    - almost same price
    - Hybrids can (normally) not use both tuners @ same time
    - Seems to be more "fiddling" and troubles with MP (although I believe there are no/few problems ATM)

SMa

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2007
    Helsinki - Finland
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Those analog hardware encoding tv-cards don't come cheap... :)
    No matter if they are pure analog or hybrid.

What about the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1300 MC-Kit? It has a remote control included and costs around €90. (it's hybrid, can't find any good analog card)

The htpc will have a E8400 (3GHz, 6MB) or a E7300 (2.66GHz, 3MB),
    so I'm not 100% certain about the need of hardware encoding.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The htpc will have a E8400 (3GHz, 6MB) or a E7300 (2.66GHz, 3MB),
    so I'm not 100% certain about the need of hardware encoding.

I would save for the extra expense, really does payoff long term, all the encoders built in, so no reliance on windows for this side, M$ have been known to get it wrong ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Debounce Registry Setting For anyone who wants to try the debounce registry setting, this is the setting: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da] "EnableDebounce"=dword:00000001 There are several different values for the...
    Debounce Registry Setting For anyone who wants to try the debounce registry setting, this is the setting: Windows Registry Editor...
    I'm currently testing the new Sofabaton x1 remote control with which I want to replace my Harmony. Everything looks good so far...
    Replies
    Views
    Any other suggestions for this?
    Any other suggestions for this?
    I have Flirc and the Skip 1s remote sending volume +/- events. I prefer to rely on just the Windows volume control so in...
    Replies
    Views
    The layout of remotes does vary from one model/brand to another. I too find that some layouts are better than others. Generally, I prefer the buttons that I use most-frequently to be positioned near the center of the remote, which is not the case with that particular Dell remote. :( Battery life is often a problem. A remote that I...
    The layout of remotes does vary from one model/brand to another. I too find that some layouts are better than others. Generally, I...
    In Dec 2020: I purchased 2 remotes for my new HTPC install, eg: HP USB MCE IR RC6 Wireless Receiver and TSGH-IR02 Windows Media...
    Replies
    Views
    I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem - unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. And Hostname is still in red. I don't understand - this is a dedicated TV computer. Unless an update did this I don't know why there's a problem in the...
    I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem -...
    I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
    Replies
    Views
    I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP and set logs and rebooted and ran TVServer. Didn't do anything in regard to S Loopback adapter. I've been using NextPvr since the problem became insurmountable. Only reason it's not a good long term...
    I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP...
    I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom