[solved] Remote functions not working accurately. (1 Viewer)

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
September 14, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Here are the answers from Posting #11 your requested:
- Do post some logs about your remaining volume button problem. COMMENT: I just opened MP1. I activated the TV feature, pressed MUTE, then MUTE again. This did work. I then pressed VOLUME DOWN and then it started running continuously. I then hit MUTE a couple of times to try to stop it, and then hit VOLUME UP. It would not stop, so I exited the program.

- Does the volume buttons work fine when MP is not running? COMMENT: Yes. Under all other circumstances or in any other program/app, the volume buttons work just fine.

- Does the system volume actually go all the way up when pushing your volume button just once? COMMENT: Yes. Once "in a blue moon," I can press the buttons once to raise/lower the volume one "notch." However, 99% of the time, if I press either the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN button, it will raise or lower the volume to MAX VOLUME or nothing. I am then forced to exit the program because the command "chirp" is being played continuously over the TV volume (if it is at FULL VOLUME).

- Do you get that problem only when holding down the button? COMMENT: I am NEVER holding down the button. I press and release immediately.

As for Posting #19 by mm135200, I deleted the TV Guide data and allowed the system to re-load itself. The TV Guide did reload as expected, but the color genre categories still did not appear. The colored genre listing is posted at the top of the TV Guide as before, but the TV Guide is still only displaying the DEFAULT color picks.

I also tried various settings on the MP Configuration for "Remotes and Input Devices". (See screen shot attached). It was originally set at "Repeat delay (ms) = -1 (default) and "Repeat speed (ms) = -1 (default). Most recently I tried the setting as noted in the attached screen shot, 500 and 33 respectively. This was a setting I found in the forum. This did not solve the problem.

djm

Attachments

• MP Config Remotes.jpg
    MP Config Remotes.jpg
    120.8 KB
Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Try 2000 (delay) and 500 (speed) see if that helps. I'll try take a closer look at the logs later.

I think you went through that before but do double check the Media input device is disabled.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok it looks like MP looses focus just after you push one of your volume button. Do you use a third party application to display volume overlays? Which one?
    Are the volume buttons on your remote working fine? Does the volume overlay show up only when using the volume controls from the keyboard?

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    I tried your above settings. This did not correct the problem. It did slow down the command chirps, so it was not as annoying. About your comment regarding the volume overlays, those are present in MP1 be default. If there is a way to turn them off to prevent this "run away" problem, I am all for it. I do not need a visual indicator. The chirp is good enough for me. The overlays appear for both remote and keyboard volume commands.

The volume buttons on the remote work perfectly. The problem is that I sometimes forget and by habit press the keyboard volume buttons and then MP1 locks up with the constant chirping and then I have to restart MP1.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Donald, MediaPortal does not chirp when modifying the problem. The fact that you hear chips is an indication that you have another program, overlay or something messing with the keyboard volume handling... which is exactly what Stéphane was talking about. Stéphane is saying that program is possibly causing the problem by stealing the focus from MP when it generates the chirps.

So, to repeat Stéphane's question in a different way: did you install any software or driver for your keyboard?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's right, we are trying to understand what could be causing MP to loose focus. So I was thinking about some foreign volume overlay. Not MP built-in overlay. It could as well be something else.

You can also try an experiment to confirm what I'm seeing in the logs:

1. Start MP and stay in the home menu.
    2. Use your keyboard arrows to move the focus between MP home menu items.
    3. Push Mute on your keyboard.
    4. Try repeat 2 and tell us if it works.

While doing this test do not use your mouse or do anything else between each steps. Providing logs for the above test could also help us find a solution to your problem.

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Team:
    The requested logs are attached. Here were my steps:
    - Started MP1. Once it loaded, I ONLY used my keyboard keys. I used the arrow keys to move to TV. Loaded TV. Once the TV Tuner was displaying the TV signal, I pressed the MUTE key. It took three (3) presses in order to get the MUTE to activate. (I paused about 15 seconds between each press.)
    - I then pressed VOLUME UP one time (press and release immediately) in order to take it out of MUTE. MP1 immediately started the continuous "chirping" and raising the volume to its maximum level.
    - I closed the program in order for the "chirping" to stop.

What I refer to as "chirping" is the sound effect being played to acknowledge that command taking effect. It is in the program as "cursor.wav" (see attached.)
    You talked about a window overlay for the sound. Windows 10 does display a volume scale when the keyboard media keys are pressed. I do not think that is the problem. Also, I cannot find a way to disable it.

I did not install any drivers or programs for my keyboard. They are standard HP hardware/drivers. Nothing fancy. Pictures were provided earlier.

Attachments

• sound command.jpg
      sound command.jpg
      80.1 KB

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    I am not sitting in front of my computer at this time. However, I am 90% sure that the remote ONLY works with MP1. When I point the remote to the USB-UIRT device and press a button, the USB-UIRT's LED will flash but no command is performed. I can confirm later tonight. djm

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    The remote will ONLY function with MP1. I do get a pop-up volume scale in Windows 10 when I use the keyboard buttons. I am working on seeing if that can be removed. I really do not need it. I do not know if it is causing the problem, but I want o eliminate any possibility. In the meantime, still open to other ideas.

Any suggestions on the TV Guide programming problem? Remember, it is not being displayed in the designated genre colors. It is ONLY showing the default colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom