[solved] Remote functions not working accurately. (1 Viewer)

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
September 14, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have two remotes available to me. I have one Windows MCE remote and one Hauppauge remote. I cannot get the Hauppauge unit to work at all. I tried installing the WinTV7 IR.exe feature but that did nothing. I have my Windows MCE unit working about 80%. The fey features I need help with are the volume up/down, MUTE, forward Skip, and reverse Skip.
When I push the volume down, it goes ALL THE WAY DOWN. It does not stop when I let off the button. Same for the volume up. It does not stop when I let up. Then once the volume is fully down or up, the commends continue endlessly and all you hear is the beeping as if the button is stuck. The only way to stop the button pressing is to close MP1 and re-launch it. The forward skip feature it supposed to fast forward a pre-programmed amount of time. In Windows Media Center, I had it skip forward 45 seconds. For reverse skip, in WMC, I had to back up 15 seconds. This was great for skipping over commercials. Now in MP1, the forward skip does fast forward in 15 seconds intervals but if I hold down my remote too long (about 1-2 seconds), I skip about 2 minutes. The skipping is too sensitive.

The reverse skip does the same as reverse button. It puts my in "X2" reverse mode. Would like to be able to find out how to enter commends to over-ride the default or ge the default remote functions to work with my Windows MCE remote.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Donald

Please could you remember to follow our support process every time you ask for help:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-and-fill-in-system-specs-for-support.118424/

You'll get better and faster help if you do that.

In this case, please could you enable the "extended logging" option for each of the remote handlers that you've enabled, then use the Watchdog with option 1 or 2 to collect some log files showing the "sensitivity" issues with your MCE remote.

I cannot get the Hauppauge unit to work at all. I tried installing the WinTV7 IR.exe feature but that did nothing.
    There are a few different Hauppauge remote variations, so what type is yours? (Please attach a picture or a link showing the exact same remote.)
    Did you enable the Hauppauge remote handler?
    Were you using it with the receiver that it came with?

When I push the volume down, it goes ALL THE WAY DOWN. It does not stop when I let off the button. Same for the volume up. It does not stop when I let up. Then once the volume is fully down or up, the commends continue endlessly and all you hear is the beeping as if the button is stuck. The only way to stop the button pressing is to close MP1 and re-launch it.
    Which handler(s) have you enabled - HID, media, Microsoft MCE?
    Have you tried pressing the button again to see if that stops it?

The forward skip feature it supposed to fast forward a pre-programmed amount of time. In Windows Media Center, I had it skip forward 45 seconds. For reverse skip, in WMC, I had to back up 15 seconds. This was great for skipping over commercials. Now in MP1, the forward skip does fast forward in 15 seconds intervals but if I hold down my remote too long (about 1-2 seconds), I skip about 2 minutes. The skipping is too sensitive.
    When it comes to skipping, MediaPortal doesn't behave the same way as WMC. You're not meant to hold down the button.

Please read this information in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...diaPortal_Configuration/13_GUI/7_Skip_Steps_*

The buttons that you're pressing are controlling skip steps. As it says in the wiki, if you press the forward skip button once MP will skip 15 seconds; press it twice => 30 seconds; press it three times => 1 minute.

The reverse skip does the same as reverse button. It puts my in "X2" reverse mode.
    This sounds like a mapping issue.
    Again, which handler(s) have you enabled?
    Have you attempted to modify the mapping for the button?

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    1. I have activated the "extended logging" and enabled HID, Microsoft MCE, and IR Trans. I also turned off the keyboard/Media functions in case that was interfering.
    2. The Hauppauge unit is not working at all. The functionality will not even let me activate it. It is all greyed out. (see picture.)
    3. Here is a little more detail. I did try pushing the Media buttons on the keyboard. Nothing helps. Once I push it once, it runs continuously until I close the program in its entirety. The volume buttons on th remote do not work at all. It is the keyboard volume up/down and mute on the keyboard that are causing the problem. If I am using MP1 and push the volume button, the above problem happens. if I use the volume icon next to the clock and change the volume, it works just fine using the keyboard buttons.
    4. Log files attached.
    If you need more, please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• remote screen.jpg
      remote screen.jpg
      119.3 KB
    • MCE remote.jpg
      MCE remote.jpg
      4.2 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for all the info Donald (y)

...enabled HID, Microsoft MCE...
    This could be the reason your buttons are too sensitive. You should enable one or the other, not both. I recommend HID.

...and IR Trans
    Why did you enable this handler? (Just trying to understand the purpose of doing this. So far from what you've said it seems unnecessary.)

I also turned off the keyboard/Media functions in case that was interfering.
    Good. (y)

2. The Hauppauge unit is not working at all. The functionality will not even let me activate it. It is all greyed out. (see picture.)
    Okay.

If you want to attempt to get the Hauppauge remote working, you'd normally need to install Hauppauge's IR driver (IR32) as the picture says. You can get the latest version of IR32 from Hauppauge's website. For your tuner (HVR-225*) that is here on the "accessories" tab (IR remote control application):
    http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/remote_control/ir32_28015.exe
    http://hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr2250.html

If you've tried to install it and MediaPortal Configuration still has the option disabled (greyed out), try reinstalling it and rebooting. When installed properly, MediaPortal Configuration should detect it and enable the option. Also, there should be a little remote icon in the task bar like this (the first black one on the left):
    239545_upload_2015-4-1_16-19-26.png

If the picture of the remote that you attached is the Hauppauge remote, you may also need to install the WMC config utility from the same place as IR32 (Windows Media Center remote control receiver/blaster configuration utility):
    http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/utils/hcwcirconfig_tool_1.2.28165.exe

3. Here is a little more detail. I did try pushing the Media buttons on the keyboard. Nothing helps. Once I push it once, it runs continuously until I close the program in its entirety.
    Okay, I can see that in the log files now:
    [2015-10-23 22:09:23,246] [Log ] [27 ] [INFO ] - HID: Repeat
    [2015-10-23 22:09:23,246] [Log ] [27 ] [INFO ] - HID: try mapping usage 00E9
    ...over and over again.

@Stéphane Lenclud
    As the resident HID expert: do you have any idea what is going on here? :)

The volume buttons on th remote do not work at all.
    Okay, this is a separate issue from the behaviour of the keyboard.
    Can you please confirm whether the picture you attached was a photo of the remote you're talking about here?

@CyberSimian
    As the resident expert on remotes that claim to be MCE-compliant but actually generate keyboard shortcuts: could you please apply your insight here? :)
    Is this a bad remote, or a mapping issue?

Regards,
    mm

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I push the volume down, it goes ALL THE WAY DOWN. It does not stop when I let off the button. Same for the volume up. It does not stop when I let up. Then once the volume is fully down or up, the commends continue endlessly and all you hear is the beeping as if the button is stuck.
    I have encountered one circumstance that behaved identically to your description. This happened when I tried to use an infrared repeater to control my audio system (i.e. remote control in one room, audio system in another room).

The IR repeater that I was trying to use did not work correctly with remotes that send "toggle codes", and the Sony and Teac remotes used with my two audio systems both send toggle codes. Sadly, the WMC remote also sends toggle codes. Some manufacturers use toggle codes as a way of preventing contact bounce causing spurious button presses.

So the question is: are you trying to use an IR repeater with your HTPC?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    or maybe trying to use a non-paired remote and receiver?
    I don't know whether this would produce the effect observed. :confused: Many people using WMC and MP use remotes and IR receivers from different manufacturers.

I suspect that a remote used with an IR receiver from a different manufacturer would either be capable of working correctly, or not work at all. Those cases where a few of the buttons do not work correctly are probably caused by incorrect button mapping (either in the remote or in the receiving software), but I don't think that an incorrect button mapping would cause the observed problem. Toggle codes are visible only at a lower level in the processing (i.e. in the microcode in a unversal remote, or in the driver for the IR receiver).

IR repeaters attempt to reproduce all possible IR codes, from all possible manufacturers. So it is not surprising that IR repeaters may introduce errors in some cases. My misbehaving IR repeater dates from about 10 years ago; modern repeaters may not suffer from the problem with toggle codes that mine has.

I don't recognise the HID code 0x00e9 that occurs repeatedly in the log file. Stephane will need to review the log to see if it contains any clues.

It might also help if the original poster could specify whether:

(1) His keyboard is wired, wireless RF, or wireless IR.
    (2) Manufacturer and model number of: the keyboard, the WMC IR receiver, the WMC remote.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Donald J. Michaud

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi Team of Experts!!
    I am grateful so many offered their advice. That is great! A lot of good ideas and things to try!

Here is the latest... I removed all remote options and only activated the HID remote settings. This fixed most of the problems with the remote. My remote volume and mute functions are now working. The skip forward works but is still way too sensitive. If I hold it too long it skips blocks of minutes instead of blocks of seconds. I need to figure out how to insert a pause. It currently will skip 15, 30, 45, 1 minute, etc. in less than 1 second. I need the same intervals, but insert a pause of 2-3 seconds between each interval to allow the remote user to release the remote button at the desired skip interval.

We can skip the Hauppauge remote. I am not worried about getting the to work since this black MCE unit is working (mostly) just fine). Just for the record, I did try to load WinTV and load the IR drivers for it to no success. I am moving on... :)

As for the skip reverse, it is still the same as standard reverse. It reverses with a "X2", press it again and get "X4", press it again and get "X6", etc. This should do the same as "skip forward" with the intervals.

As for the keyboard, I am running and standard wired USB HP multi-media keyboard that came with the PC. Model #5335U. (see pictures.) When I press the keyboard MUTE key, that seems to work just fine. The Volume up and volume down button continue to the continuous up or down as if the button is stuck (which it is not). Do I change the mappings for the keyboard somewhere without screwing up something else?

I am running a USB-UIRT unit for channel changing of the cable STB. This is not the problem. I believe we have that set up correctly. djm

Attachments

• IMG_20151024_144806069.jpg
      IMG_20151024_144806069.jpg
      4.9 MB
    • IMG_20151024_144859459.jpg
      IMG_20151024_144859459.jpg
      5 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Donald

Here is the latest... I removed all remote options and only activated the HID remote settings. This fixed most of the problems with the remote.
    Great! :)

The skip forward works but is still way too sensitive. If I hold it too long it skips blocks of minutes instead of blocks of seconds. I need to figure out how to insert a pause. It currently will skip 15, 30, 45, 1 minute, etc. in less than 1 second. I need the same intervals, but insert a pause of 2-3 seconds between each interval to allow the remote user to release the remote button at the desired skip interval.
    Like I said in my earlier response: you're not meant to hold the button down at all. You're meant to press it repeatedly, and stop pressing it when the skip interval is as desired.

We can skip the Hauppauge remote. I am not worried about getting the to work since this black MCE unit is working (mostly) just fine). Just for the record, I did try to load WinTV and load the IR drivers for it to no success. I am moving on... :)
    Okay.

As for the skip reverse, it is still the same as standard reverse. It reverses with a "X2", press it again and get "X4", press it again and get "X6", etc. This should do the same as "skip forward" with the intervals.
    In other words: the skip reverse function has been substituted for rewind.
    Did you check or attempt to modify the button mapping as I previously suggested?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/8_Remote/Mapping_Buttons

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom