Resuming from Standby not working (1 Viewer)

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Not sure if this is a related issue, but with 1.4.0 I've got a near 100% failure to render the GUI (as far as I can tell) on resume from hibernate, so the GUI is usually just completely frozen. I can close MP (via EventGhost), but I can't 'wake it up' so that it's usable using EventGhost 'bring to front' action, the mouse or the keyboard.

Log attached for a hibernate at [2013-06-23 23:39:20,496] followed by unattended resume for a recording at [2013-06-24 20:56:44,213], then turning on the TV at [2013-06-24 21:51:26,537] and finally closing MP using EventGhost at [2013-06-24 21:51:29,919]

This running on Vista (32 bit).

Tony

I have eactly the same problem with hibernate ( return from sleep is fine). ( I have swithced to using sleep without issue the last week; I do prefer Hibernate)

What I can do though after return from Hibernate is blindly navigate Mp with remote and start a video file playbak and the GUI then springs into life otherwise it is blank (grey) and 'seems' unresponsive.

My thoughts were that from returning from Hiberneate MP GUI was initializing before the Display Drivers had, only a thought and probably wrong.

I can post fresh logs if needed .

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Fresh logs here for that scenario with the description of what you did are highly welcome. Also one from sleep please, to see how the same system behaves differently in these mode. It is interesting that one mode works but the other does not.

Should help a lot in identifying the parts of the code that screws it up.

Last edited:

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The initial bug with minidisplay has been reported here in January 2013, no action taken:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/minidisplay-plugin-doesnt-wake-up-after-sleep.116191/
    With the restart on resume removed I can't use my minidisplay properly.

It was removed because standby/resume was rewritten and should work properly now for the majority of users.

And also so that people actually report suspend/resume issue so we can fix them and not quietly just enable a workaround option and we never get rid of the problems.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Don't have a Mini Display cannot help here. If someone provides me with one I can connect to an external USB port - even temporary - I can fix that easily.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Here is the link:
    http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.php?cPath=40_17
    I am in Canada. The easiest would be to buy or ask for a free development GX Typhoon minidisplay unit from Matrix Orbital.

In the meantime I see there is still a restart.vbs script in Mediaportal Folder, so we can run this script via a task scheduler when resuming from standby based on the following event the resuming from standby returns:
    • Log: System
    • Source: Power-Troubleshooter
    • Event ID: 1

Don't have a Mini Display cannot help here. If someone provides me with one I can connect to an external USB port - even temporary - I can fix that easily.

Last edited:

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    @Scythe42

Clean logs added

Fresh start of Mp single-seat. Vista32
    Navigate (remote easier then keyboard) to recorded TV and play a file. No problems.
    Stop playback, reset watched status and navigate to Home and send to SLEEP.
    No problems.

Turn on PC returns from SLEEP, GUI active and visible repeat above to playback same file. NO problems.

Now from HOME send PC to Hibernate.

Turn PC on returns from Hibernation (normal PC boot, BIOS etc to windows Vista 32) Now problems occur.

MP is running ( I can see this from task manager and desktop is visible and working) BUT MP is either blank or showing a frozen HOME screen.

I can use the remote to blindly navigate MP and playback a video file, on most occasions this would cause MP to become ALIVE (GUI visible and active) but in these logs this didn't happen until I stopped the playback .

My thoughts are that MP is trying to do things before the display drivers are ready when returning from Hibernation and fails with a blank GUI but MP is active and running behind this. SLEEP doesn't have these problems as the display drivers do not need the same reinit as Hibernation requires.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can't see the option "Restart MediaPortal on resume" any more in Mediaportal configuration. I used it as a workaround to wake up my minidisplay after resuming. Was it removed in 1.4.0 and why? Is there a replacement menu option?

I agree having the same issue please bring back this feature as currently going to have to downgrade. Works fine on server side but not client side. Please can we have this option back. All my clients other than mp installed on the main server will not resume. I get a black screen or a frozen mp on say the guide or home screen for about 4 mins before I can use it. Sometimes it doesn't do anything if you control alt and delete it says mp is not responding.

Why remove this option when those with older computers used this option.
    --- Double Post Merged, 3 minutes ago ---
    Someone suggested on another post:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/t...sume-functionality.119308/page-2#post-1006902

It looks like the equivalent of this missing feature is to run the restart.vbs script from c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\ folder via the task scheduler based on the following event the resuming from standby returns:
    Log: System
    Source: Power-Troubleshooter
    Event ID: 1

However this doesn't work and the script doesn't run.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @richardc1983 : please if you want help, post Logs, i'm agree with scythe42, "restart .." function was an hack,
    we can't know, what is your system, missing system specs.
    Please Guy, we can help you only when log are available, nothing else.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I am in the camp to FIX the problem rather thane re-introduce the dirty hack (yes it worked but wasn't realy desireable)

I also doubt anyone is running as OLD a PC a mine; can you beat an AMD XP 240O and AGPx4 graphics running singleseat MP on VISTA32 without issues SD and HD (blu ray and broadcast).

So if you have experienced this problem try both sleep and hibernation and post clean fresh logs.

Let us help the devs crack this 'bug' .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom