Return WEATHER OUTLOOK back to MediaPortal as default (1 Viewer)

Do you need weather information as standard

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello All

We are currently looking at returning weather back as part of the MediaPortal install, this should show fairly basic information for your locality, so added a poll to know if you consider this a worthwhile feature by default.

Please note, there are currently optional plugins to do this exact thing, would you be actively hunting these down, as I said we need all the feedback we can get regarding this.

In DefaultWide this would look like

23-30-01.png

Just to be clear, this project will be done by Micropolis who very kindly offered us a "easy setup" version of worldweather without the bells and whistles, but should have ip lookup for your locality, or manual city\town name search within the GUI as a backup, using different providers and will be kept outside the MediaPortal releases.

This of course is easily upgradeable to the fullblown WorldWeather plugin, if a user likes the more advanced features.

Regards

Update before I close this Topic, as it is now in construction stage.

WorldWeatherLite is coming along very nicely thanks to Micropolis, ip detection seems to work and picks up the main local City (the way ip lookup works, you would be very lucky to get exact match), plus integrated Town search from gui, must say it really is looking pretty cool, but he is not finished yet.

Will announce when we get an Area51 version for you all to test, really looking forward to getting this back into MP, upgrading to the fullblown WorldWeather version should not be a hassle for those people who enjoy all the bells and whistles :D

Last edited:

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Well kids like the weather plugin so it would be nice to have it as a part of the install, but usually i just use my windows & look out to check it :D

Regards
    Roy

DerPrinz82

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would definitely appreciate an out-of-the-box weather outlook.
    Integrated stuff is always better than additional plugins.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I prefer the homescreen to be informative, as it is on most of the time (w or wo media playback), so I'm all for getting weather back in the "package" as I don't really need any more advanced...

ddoody

September 3, 2006
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If the API (XML's or whatever) were able to allow a plugin to put the weather on the home screen like in the sample image then I suggest allowing a plugin to do it. If people really want it out-of-the-box, then perhaps a basic plugin could be included in the install.

My reason for suggesting a plugin is that not all weather services cater to all parts of the globe equally, AND they seem to have a habit of changing or disappearing. We do not want to have to wait for a new MP release to fix a broken weather service.

valtam

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2010
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm all for it, as long as there is a plan in place in regards to the #4th post.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I live in Yorkshire - we can get all four seasons on the same day.
    You haven't seen anything like it when it's raining Ferrets and Sheep ;)
    It's invaluable here :)

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I voted yes but I would be happy with a 'basic' version of World Weather as well that can be installed and updated separately like LAV filters, Titan Extended etc.

IF MPEM redesign is successful (see Future of MP Extensions - Design Concept) I think this option becomes far more attractive/usable.

Is it OK I voted? Or is it only for 'newcomers'? :p

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom