Rework DeployTool (2 Viewers)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    I don't know how to add an option, for me keep setting is to select upgrade or re-install but it's not supported for private build. Seb.
    i understand what you mean, for normal use (user) fresh install working as will do, but for us, Tester or User Custom Builds, User can't update to the last MP (official) version if the previous was customed and compiled with MSBUILD.
    I would have or 1.5 an better tools robust (Deploy tool + Watchdog( my proposal )) we have 2 dev available mattjcury and michael_t (michael working on PS++ for now, only matt is free).
    i don't know who assign task to dev :whistle: elliottmc : what do you think ? ( for enhance Deploytool and Watchdog )

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you use the correct build script then there won't be a custom version number. Or at least I never have this problem.

You can always extract the NSIS installer to do an update.

Fresh install is fresh install. To me, this is all now working as it should. The only thing we could consider is a checkbox for 'keep settings'.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    The only thing we could consider is a checkbox for 'keep settings'.
    i want only this :) for fresh install ( also reinstall ? i don't know)

for me the next improvement for deploytool is
    - Update plugins
    - re-use last setting for update ( this is Bonus, because not really needed, only for lazy-man as me )

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I still dont understand why we have this private build stuff. We should not have installers that behave differently than final product. This adds extra confusion and complexity and what is the added value??

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    hi seco, the "private build" was an compilation of Branche on my PC, nothing else , compiled with msbuild

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I still dont understand why we have this private build stuff. We should not have installers that behave differently than final product. This adds extra confusion and complexity and what is the added value??

Well, we are proposing to allow reinstalls of the current version, which is useful to all users in case they break something and want to avoid a clean install, so this is not for private builds, but is intended for release.

Regarding an option for a clean install to keep the user settings, I think this is also potentially useful.

However, I agree with your sentiment that we should not be having one installer for the team and one installer for the community.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    hi seco, the "private build" was an compilation of Branche on my PC, nothing else , compiled with msbuild

Try compiling using DeployToolUnpacker.nsi - this will build the deploytool installer. However, if you are building from a branch other than master, you may end up with a different version number, depending on what is in the branch.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I don't know how to add an option, for me keep setting is to select upgrade or re-install but it's not supported for private build. Seb.
    i understand what you mean, for normal use (user) fresh install working as will do, but for us, Tester or User Custom Builds, User can't update to the last MP (official) version if the previous was customed and compiled with MSBUILD.
    I would have or 1.5 an better tools robust (Deploy tool + Watchdog( my proposal )) we have 2 dev available mattjcury and michael_t (michael working on PS++ for now, only matt is free).
    i don't know who assign task to dev :whistle: elliottmc : what do you think ? ( for enhance Deploytool and Watchdog )

Yep i can confirm what Mark said, you can use the script and not the batch :)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    but i need compil first ?
    i can't modify msbuild for don't overwrite/read assembly by Gitxxx.exe ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom