Ripping HD/BlueRay DVDs (2 Viewers)

ToXIc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2009
    Home Country
    i got full audio

that bug was a bad config on my system.... i reformatted and set everything back up and it works great...

S_Behn

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Done! Worked great, just playback in MP doesnt work right... its stuttering, so sound is faster then vid. I need to figure out if DXVA works properly...

S_Behn

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes. Apple Trailer in 1080 works great also... ATI Radeon HD3200... and Athlon X2 5200+ 2,7ghz

Edit: I remuxed it, based on data exported with eac3to and eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor and everything works perfectly fine. So it was definitely a problem based on MakeMKV. What a pitty, i would like to use MakeMKV but for me it didnt work...

bart0190

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009
    Hi,
    @ S_Behn
    So you are using
    - eac3to
    - eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor

and not anydvdHD in the first place?

Well, I will try it.
    Got also a BR-Drive yesterday. :)

Will call you later.

greetings to A.

S_Behn

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK. What is working for me:

1. Rip the disk completely with AnyDVD Riper to my HD, not as an ISO, as seperate files.
    2. Open it with eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor and extract the streams, chapter file and subtitle (.sup)
    3. Open the Subtitles with BDSup2Sub.jar and export them as .idx/.sub with the right language selection
    4. Put everything in mkvmerge together and mux it.

Worked flawless two of two times.

What i also tried and didnt work for me but it looks like it worked for others:

• Activating AnyDVD and opening the DISK directly with eac3to GUI: For me files are not visible in the BluRay Drive, maybe because of WinXP?
    • Using MakeMKV: Worked two times great in using the BluRay without any other Tool, but the produced .mkv are both not playable (stuttering), my idea for that is that they break DXVA.
    • Using MakeMKV to get the files down the BluRay and remuxing the mkv content afterwards with mkvmerge: Same result as with MakeMKV, broken DXVA

Especially the 3. problem is one i dont understand. What is different in using MakeMKV to get the files to using AnyDVD. I understand that MakeMKV doesnt reencode anything. It just takes files and put them into a container. The only problem is maybe the converting the new BluRay audio formats to DTS/AC3.

Here is log from MediaInfo of one of my MakeMKV mkv files which dont work properly: Stuttering! I guess DXVA broken...

Attachments

• mediainfo_makemkv.txt
      30.6 KB

S_Behn

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Update:

I used the not properly working mkv made by MakeMKV and demuxed it again with eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor. Because these A_DTS audio streams seamed suspicious for me. I need to reconfirm, but it looks like MakeMKV put the DTS-HD stream into the MKV or whatever. But since i send it through Stream Extractor mergemkv shows me now a dts stream, not anymore a a_dts and guess what: It works like a charm now in MP.

EDIT: I posted my problems over at the MakeMKV forum to look for a solution because i would really love to use MakeMKV on the fly...

Regards,
    Steffen

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    Hmm you need to be using AnyDVD HD no matter what you do. The streams are locked and require AnyDVD HD to unlock them for use. Also I didn't realize that you are not encoding these just ripping... DXVA should be fully intact but I have a feeling it has to do with the nonuse of AnyDVD. Here is what I would do:

• Download/Install AnyDVD HD and get it working.
    • Download/Install MKVtoolnix
    • Download/Install Eac3to (I never bother with the GUI)
    • Insert Bluray
    • Go to start menu, run, then type cmd *hit enter*
    • Navigate to eac3to: *for example* cd c:\program files\eac3to\ or c:\program files (x86)\eac3to\ (if you're using 64bit)
    • Type in this: dir x:\bdmv\stream\ change "X" to whatever your bluray drive is
    • Look at the files that are listed... take note of the largest one. It'll usually say 00001.m2ts or something along there
    • Type in: eac3to "x:\bdmv\stream\00001.m2ts" or whatever the name of the largest file was
    • It's going to list the streams now... you want to pick out a video, audio and sub stream:
    • I usually pick the highest quality sub stream and convert it to 1536 DTS files but you probably want to keep it in its original state.
    • For example you might type this in: eac3to "x:\bdmv\stream\00001.m2ts" 1: (which is the video track in my example) "c:\rips\movie\movie.mkv" 3: (which is the audio track) "c:\rips\movie\audio.ac3" 6: (which is the sub track) "c:\rips\movie\subs.sup" then hit enter.
    • This is going to rip all the files to the C:\Rips\Movie\ directory. It takes around 20 minutes.
    • Now load up MKVmergeGUI (c:\program files\mkvtoolnix\mmg.exe for example)
    • Drag the 3 streams into mkvmergegui's location or just click add tracks and add them manually.
    • Click on each track and setup your track names/language etc. You shouldn't need to change much. Change the target location to C:\Rips\Movie\Movie-muxed.mkv.
    • Start muxing... it should drop all the files into the MKV container perfectly and all should be well in theory.

I do a few different things for my work... for one I use Arcsoft audio decoder to rip my rips along with convert them to DTS with SurCode and also Nero for the actual unlocking/decoding of the discs (I do both Blu and HD discs). These are far from free methods so I didn't include them. What I just posted should in theory work....

This should be a sure fire method since I know MakeMKV has failed for me in the past. I like having a lot more control over what's going on though which is why I do it this way. In theory you should be able to rip the Blu's to your hard drive (rip the files don't bother with ISO) with AnyDVD HD and then extract the streams with your Eac3toGUI and then use MakeMKV to combine them into the mkv container. You can try that one more time otherwise I'd say fall back on my method lol since you know exactly what is happening every step of the way.

S_Behn

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hehe... as you may have read. I already have one failsafe solution:

1. Rip the disk completely with AnyDVD Riper to my HD, not as an ISO, as seperate files.
    2. Open it with eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor and extract the streams, chapter file and subtitle (.sup)
    3. Open the Subtitles with BDSup2Sub.jar and export them as .idx/.sub with the right language selection
    4. Put everything in mkvmerge together and mux it.

Works flawless. The problem of ripping directly with MakeMKV without any use of AnyDVD (not even running) is not the encryption. Its just the way it saves the audiostream in the MKV. As i found out demuxing the so produced MKV again with my eac3to GUI and putting these streams again in a new MKV.

The encryption part of MakeMKV works quiet well! And thats for free... as long as it is in beta state. I hope to get my problem solved...

Regards

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    A couple of things...

1. Why are you guys ripping the BD to the HD before extracting the streams (This is not neccessary.)
    2. Are you guys not using the HD audio formats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom