SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). | Page 326

Discussion in 'Codecs, External Players' started by hoborg, September 2, 2008.

?

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

1. Yes

406 vote(s)
    85.5%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. edterbak
    • Team MediaPortal

edterbak Test Group

Researcher
    Ratings:
    +1,178 / 5
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    I have the same experience. But I dont know enough about this to say where it is comming from.
    - There was a bugs reported which could be related to this. OldBug1
    - If you download a movie from the internet, Im not saying you do ofcourse..., then it is possible the coding of the movie file itself contains an out of sync signal. On bittorrent sites I see a lot of people complaining about this kind of things... So this can be a possible cause as well.
    So, based on what I know, I think its too early to say it is a codec thing.

On the possitive side.... Now SAF is using ffdshow for everything, it is now very much possible to adjust the audio delay depending on the filetype... For this we need to determine the delays ofcourse. And this is a kind of a subjective matter and we need good video material for that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seeco

Seeco Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    edterbak: You can say that I download video material from the Internet, because that's the way it is! ;)

Anyway, you're saying exactly what I'm thinking - using ffdshow for everything definitely has its advantages. If we could figure out how to make the ffdshow audio profiles react to different file types, that would be the end of it. My question though is whether this is possible. I am well acquainted with profiles in ffdshow video, but it seems to me that ffdshow audio use different conditions (I have always used video size to determine how a video should be treated).

4. hoborg

hoborg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 2
    Home Country:
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Show System Specs
    If you have some video sample vide audio out of sync, you should post it here.
    You can easily fix sync in MKV mergeif the problem is really badly created video file...

5. Seeco

Seeco Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry, forgot to comment on that. This "problem" (it is not really a problem when I have the means to fix it with a delay adjustment) is displayed consistently over a wide range of different videos. I have also noticed that some encodes have a lacking A/V sync because of some error in the encode itself, but that's not what I'm talking about. For example, setting the delay of sound to 86ms in AC3Filter makes for perfect sync of almost all x.264 material. At the same time, setting no delay at all in ffdshow audio makes sure that all MPEG material (DVDs and TV) is in perfect sync. The problem arises when AC3Filter is suddenly used to decode DVD audio (which it does now despite that I have set it to ffdshow audio in MP config). That's why I need to use profiles with different amounts of delay for different types of video.

This has always been the case for me, at least for all 24fps material (which almost always is HD and x.264 for me).

EDIT: So I have done some testing and it seems that ffdshow audio regards the file ending as a part of the file name nowadays. That's good new for me, because pretty much all my HD material is in the MKV container. Problem solved, I think! Installing latest beta now.

EDIT 2: Latest test beta installed, profiles set up for SD and HD material and everything seems to be working really nicely! I like being able to use a minimum of codecs, so if ffdshow works for you surround system guys I see no reason to use AC3Filter. Now I only need to figure out how the ffdshow counterpart of the AC3Filter Gain setting works.

6. carmenm

carmenm Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    France France
    Will try that tonight

Just tried trueHD throught spdif(HDMI here) and it crashes :s
    I need to do more tests

7. hoborg

hoborg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 2
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
  8. Johan

Johan Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    I am thinking about making a complete reinstall of my HTPC. I will used WinXP SP3 etc.
    This is because the system have been a bit clogged by all "test" installations.

I have an ATI HD3650 AGP card with more or less perfect DXVA for x264 today. I am using Catalyst 8.5 because that was the version recommended a while back ago for DXVA support and AGP ATI cards. Is it today safe to use 9.4+ version of catalyst for AGP systems (as recommended in the first post in this thread).
    I know that 9.9 is available for AGP systems (hotfix version).

Any suggestions are welcome since I don't want to start a fresh xp install with install/uninstall of different catalyst versions.

9. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,846 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    You may always have trouble with HD TV because 780G (+HT2 CPU) no longer meets minimun requirements for MP versions > 1.0 Final

You should also read this...

10. edterbak
    • Team MediaPortal

edterbak Test Group

Researcher
    Ratings:
    +1,178 / 5
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Hoborg,

I had very little time to test.
    But I de-installed test 2, installed test 3 and did a reboot.
    Ffdshow is still in postprocessing (video/dvd).
    I tested the 7 movies (from the samples) and all movies showed correct audio. I had a good 3 minutes of the wmv (batman) and I couldnt find a audio sync problem.
    The 3 MPEG Audio 3 files showed as PCM audio on my receiver. I think it was all 44.1khz and 48khz (no 32khz), but I have to check to be sure.

All worked Ok. Oh yeah, there was one thing that I thought I found. The volume of the MPEG Audio 3 files were lower than the other files (AAC+DTS). Could this be correct what I heard or was this my imagination...?

I also gave TV a try, and all os ok there. sd and hd.

Regards.

11. hoborg

hoborg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 2
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Good.
    Volume levels depends on how audio in video files is encoded. I think there is not much i can do with that without breaking other thinks...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!