SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). (4 Viewers)

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

• Yes

Votes: 406 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 14.5%

• Total voters

sHiKoRa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 19, 2008
    Limburg
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, if your video play without any problem in Graphstudio, then you are right, must be MP issue.
    (I think) I didn't try that yet. I'll try to play the movie in Graphstudio and see what happens.
    I played the video for a hour in Graphstudio and it worked fine. So this means there is a bug in MP? Is there anything I'm supose to do now? Or just sit and wait for the next release?

zilexa

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey Hoborg,

I am curious about your MPEG2 decoder comparision:

MPEG-2 decoder comparison:
    I created an overview of a lot of decoders based on my experience. With this, you are able to decide if you have a preference in using the one or the other.

Cyberlink "CLVsd.ax"

* + it is free (can be extracted from PDVD)
    * + can use DXVA
    * + no problems with LiveTV & DVD (WinXP + WMR9)
    * - DVD navigation + DXVA doesnot work under Vista and Win7
    * - not possible to adjust gama in DXVA mode

FFDShow MPEG-2 video decoder (libavcodec)

* + it is free
    * + good for DVD and LiveTV
    * + can output to NV12 colorspaces (HW deinterlacing)
    * + croping to remove black borders (LiveTV/DVD)
    * - blacklisted in MP for LiveTV (should be enabled in MP RC2)

MPC-HC (Gabest) "Mpeg2DecFilter.ax"

* + it is free
    * - cannot use DXVA or output in VN12 = no HW deinterlacing = bad picture quiality for LiveTV
    * - causing coruptions on end of DVD tracks

DScaler

* + it is free
    * + can output in NV12 = hardware deinterlacing
    * - when used, my HTPC was restarted randomly without any warning
    * - causing similar coruptions on end of DVD tracks like MPC-HC (Gabest) "Mpeg2DecFilter.ax"

Elecard MPEG-2 version 4

* + can use DXVA
    * + possible to adjust gama in DXVA mode
    * - it is not free
    * - broken DVD navigation
    * - blocking when jumping thrue video (seek)

Both DScaler and FFDShow do not have DXVA for mpeg2, just like MPC-HC. Perhaps this could be updated.
    As far as I know Cyberlink is the only 'free' decoder wich supports DXVA for DVD.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Both DScaler and FFDShow do not have DXVA for mpeg2, just like MPC-HC. Perhaps this could be updated.
    As far as I know Cyberlink is the only 'free' decoder wich supports DXVA for DVD.

You are right, but both FFDShow and DScaler can output in to NV12 colorspace = you will have HW deinterlacing, and that is all you need for perfect MPEG-2 decoding :)

zilexa

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oh I never knew that! then I won't go through the hassle to get Cyberlink decoder :)
    In the FFDShow Video config, page "Output", I see a lot of output colorspaces selected. NV12 is not checked so I checked it and I checked the option "Set interlaced flag in output media type".

But is this all I have to do to have HW deinterlacing?
    I'm afraid if I would uncheck all other colorspaces, FFDShow will have to convert all other colorspaces to NV12 when not playing DVD/Mpeg2.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Oh I never knew that! then I won't go through the hassle to get Cyberlink decoder :)
    In the FFDShow Video config, page "Output", I see a lot of output colorspaces selected. NV12 is not checked so I checked it.
    But is this all I have to do to have HW deinterlacing?

Use SAF 5.00, all is preconfigured here.

zilexa

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I know I was just hassling around with a new version of FFDShow that has DXVA support for h.264 and VC-1.

Jimbawb

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a few questions:

Should i be using nvidia driver 191.07 or is it ok to update to the latest version? 191.07 is mentioned in the original post but i cant see any posts about problems with newer drivers?

Also, all my video seems ever so slightly out of sync with the audio - any suggestions? I'm not too much of a codec nut :)

Many thanks!

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have a few questions:

Should i be using nvidia driver 191.07 or is it ok to update to the latest version? 191.07 is mentioned in the original post but i cant see any posts about problems with newer drivers?

I'm curious about this too - what sets 191.07 above other driver releases? :D

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Re: SAF v4.00 ''stable'' with FooBar?

Hi *,
    I deinstalled FooBar before my latest installation (MP 1.1 RC1 w/SAF 4.00 stable) because of Hoborg's warning about removing other decoders and players. Unfortunately, I now need FooBar to repair some damaged MP3s. Does anyone have experience with this combination? Can I safely reinstall FooBar without breaking my current codec setup (which works great, thx to SAF!) or should I find another PC to do my audiofile repairs on?
    TIA!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm curious about this too - what sets 191.07 above other driver releases?

If you go to the Nvidia forums you will see they are breaking more things than fixing, its even more recommended if your OS will allow it to go back to 182.xx drivers to get correct display :(

Not to mention new drivers have been accused of turning gpu fan speed down or even off altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom