SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). (6 Viewers)

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

• Yes

Votes: 406 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 14.5%

• Total voters

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But if you say you didnt enable post processing how can you be sure DXVA will not be affected? Again, to my best knowledge you have to set ffdshow to pick up any uncompressed video (=any decoded stream), so it will force itself in every stream you'll play?

I think when hoborg says post processing, he is not talking about adding the ffdshow filter to post processing, he means when ffdshow codec is in use it will be upscaling etc..

tomhai

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guys, i am thinking to integrate FFDshow in to SAF. The reasons are:
    - more video format support (like MJPG, etc...)
    - replace MPA by ffdshow audio decoder (possibly fix reported pass-thrugh problems) - not sure
    - post processing +video resize for all non DXVA material

No DXVA will be lost, all previous functions will be keept.
    This combination should create ultimate audio/video solution...

Please vote in pool!

EDIT:
    How it should work:
    H.264,VC-1 will be decoded by MPC-HC (PDVD9 for HDTV) - current SAF status
    MPEG2 will be decoded by PDVD9 - current SAF status
    DIVX/XVID is now decoded by MPC-HC/XVID decoder, will be replaced by FFDSHOW
    +tons of new video formats that FFDshow support (include MJPEG)
    Hi Hoborg,
    combining SAF and FFDShow is once again a great idea. What do you think about an additional option to register a specific video codec for standard TV? Many people are using PDVD9 for this but I think DScaler looks slightly better (colors and sharpness). BTW: I use 3 different Windows XP SP3 systems and never had problems with DScaler.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Oh I wish upon a star, that someone will fix the tsreader or ffdshow so that these two can work together. I really don't think either PowerDVD or DScaler is optimal :(

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    But if you say you didnt enable post processing how can you be sure DXVA will not be affected? Again, to my best knowledge you have to set ffdshow to pick up any uncompressed video (=any decoded stream), so it will force itself in every stream you'll play?

I think when hoborg says post processing, he is not talking about adding the ffdshow filter to post processing, he means when ffdshow codec is in use it will be upscaling etc..

Exactly.

Guys, i am thinking to integrate FFDshow in to SAF. The reasons are:
    - more video format support (like MJPG, etc...)
    - replace MPA by ffdshow audio decoder (possibly fix reported pass-thrugh problems) - not sure
    - post processing +video resize for all non DXVA material

No DXVA will be lost, all previous functions will be keept.
    This combination should create ultimate audio/video solution...

Please vote in pool!

EDIT:
    How it should work:
    H.264,VC-1 will be decoded by MPC-HC (PDVD9 for HDTV) - current SAF status
    MPEG2 will be decoded by PDVD9 - current SAF status
    DIVX/XVID is now decoded by MPC-HC/XVID decoder, will be replaced by FFDSHOW
    +tons of new video formats that FFDshow support (include MJPEG)
    Hi Hoborg,
    combining SAF and FFDShow is once again a great idea. What do you think about an additional option to register a specific video codec for standard TV? Many people are using PDVD9 for this but I think DScaler looks slightly better (colors and sharpness). BTW: I use 3 different Windows XP SP3 systems and never had problems with DScaler.

I have bad experience with dscaler. When i select NV12 output (to get hardware deinterlacing), i got random system restarts... PDVD9 MPEG2 decoder is good, works fine on DVD, LIVE TV, no crash, DXVA, ... Chanel swap on GB-PVR is under 1s (analog TV)
    You can use it as an addon, but i would not add it directly in to SAF.

dbgurudk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Can POWERDVD9 be used in MP1.1.0.0?

Hi Folks,

Can PWRDVD9 be used in MP1.1.0.0?

Thought that they closed for external use from PWRDVD9?

Thanks in advance.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yes PDVD9 H264 codec (not latest version) can be used with any version MP. i'm pretty sure saf uses older version of codec, before they disabled 3rd party use.

I read the newest realease of powerdvd also has hardware interpolatation (aka motionflow)

Quote[collapse]Also new is TrueTheater Motion, which now allows 24 FPS material to be output at a much more motion friendly 60 to 72 FPS, through use of interpolation (adding "in-between" frames). For people with computer monitors, it probably won't make a huge difference, but it should on larger TV type displays (although the TV itself probably also has a similar feature that may/may not work better). CPU usage increased to 20% with this option turned on.[/collapse]

Ref[collapse]http://forums.highdefdigest.com/home-theater-gear/81237-new-power-dvd-9-adds-frame-interpolation-any-refresh.html
    PowerDVD Review - Page 3 of 4 | Articles - Digital Digest]http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/powerdvd_page3.html]PowerDVD Review - Page 3 of 4 | Articles - Digital Digest[/collapse]

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yes PDVD9 H264 codec (not latest version) can be used with any version MP. i'm pretty sure saf uses older version of codec, before they disabled 3rd party use.

I read the newest realease of powerdvd also has hardware interpolatation (aka motionflow)

Quote[collapse]Also new is TrueTheater Motion, which now allows 24 FPS material to be output at a much more motion friendly 60 to 72 FPS, through use of interpolation (adding "in-between" frames). For people with computer monitors, it probably won't make a huge difference, but it should on larger TV type displays (although the TV itself probably also has a similar feature that may/may not work better). CPU usage increased to 20% with this option turned on.[/collapse]

This is usefull for people that have a TV that doesnt support 24p. Mine does, so I use Automatic Refreshrate Changer to set the pc to 24hz. This way 24p signal gets sent to the TV and no interpolation is needed.
    But for people without that capable TV, this is an option.

csapollo

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Home Country
    Try, enjoy, report

I've trialled it for half an hour each combination, I still find that:
    - Gabest MPEG2 Decoder is much faster, and clearer than the Cyberlink MPEG2 Decoder.
    - MPC-HC H264 Decoder much better than Cyberlink H264 Decoder, in fact, for me; the Cyberlink H264 does not work.. the playback is blocky.
    - Using AC3Filter for movies, MPC-MPA for TV (if I use AC3Filter for TV too, the channels without DD audio have no audio, should be stereo).
    - I found the FFDShow audio/video decoders to offer nothing better than what I was using in SAF3.49B24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom