[fixed] Scheduled Recordings Did not record (1 Viewer)

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    There are reasons Server 2003 is not supported and one of them (that is possibly related to your problem) is the DVB bug that exists in both WinXP and Server 2003. Microsoft has published a fix for XP MCE (which essentially is XP with the additional MCE app installed) but NOT for Server 2003. Since XP and Server 2003 are quite different (there are significant differences in both API and the Kernel) this fix is not appropriate for Server 2003 even if it seems to be working (and your issue may actually be a result of this as the fix is related to tuning). And since we cannot know in advance if it is an OS issue or a TVServer issue, it is a pure waste of (our limited) time to try to figure out what is wrong, only to end up discovering it is the OS at fault.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but to me a non-server OS that has a working TV subsystem is far more suitable for running TVServer than a server OS that has issues with TV.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    It is because MP won't work properly on the server OS. Sure, you might be able to _make_ it work, but not always reliably.

I know that the TV service _should_ work fine on this OS, but then if we support the OS for just the TV service, users will complain that MP doesn't work on this setup. We can't win on this one, so having a clear system requirement is easiest.

You are correct that MP will not run reliably on WHS ( if you can get it to work ), so instead of just outright not supporting it, how about just supporting the TV-Server side of things and meeting us halfway ? Tv-Server runs fine on WHS as long as it runs fine on Win XP, Vista or 7 .. there is no denying that.. All that would be missing is channel preview which in reality is not needed. You can do that from a "supported" client.

You can "win" on this one if you make it clear that ONLY TV-Server is supported and not MP. Why would you want to run MP on a ( headless server ) anyway ?

But never mind... lets get back on track. This issue has been discussed many times before to no avail...

cheers

There are reasons Server 2003 is not supported and one of them (that is possibly related to your problem) is the DVB bug that exists in both WinXP and Server 2003. Microsoft has published a fix for XP MCE (which essentially is XP with the additional MCE app installed) but NOT for Server 2003. Since XP and Server 2003 are quite different (there are significant differences in both API and the Kernel) this fix is not appropriate for Server 2003 even if it seems to be working (and your issue may actually be a result of this as the fix is related to tuning). And since we cannot know in advance if it is an OS issue or a TVServer issue, it is a pure waste of (our limited) time to try to figure out what is wrong, only to end up discovering it is the OS at fault.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but to me a non-server OS that has a working TV subsystem is far more suitable for running TVServer than a server OS that has issues with TV.

The DVB bug you are refering to has never caused me any grief since replacing it with a WinXP version. Besides, it is only applicable with Hauppauge Nova-T 500 cards and caused BSOD's.
    I also have 2 Avermedia TwinStar cards ( PCI-E ) which suffer from the same issues. Apart from all this, why do you say that server 2003 or WHS have issues with TV ? How do you come to this conclusion when it has never been officially tried and tested with MP and basically ignored all this time ? Kinda ignorant to say this when there are other media centre solutions that are doing it successfully ( Sage-TV for example have a TVServer WHS plugin).. Before you ask, i choose to use MP because i prefer it for reasons which are irrelevant here.

Cheers

fdm225

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,
    Not to start a flame war but can we get back on to the topic of the thread? I see this issue very often on Windows 7 64 bit and would like to work towards it's resolution. I have provided logs and will continue to provide any information that I can. if there is something else I can do to help get this resolved I will surely do so because I want to be able to run MP 1.1 when it releases.

Please please please let me know what I can do to help out with this issue!

Dave

argypak

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2007
    Berwick
    Home Country
    [Fixed]???? Re: Scheduled Recordings Did not record

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem where some of the recorded series would not install.
    I found that uninstalling Mp and also MySQL completely and deleting traces and then reinstalling fixed the problem

I think the problem started when I imported the schedules from 1.1 Beta

fdm225

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    Re: [Fixed]???? Re: Scheduled Recordings Did not record

Hi,
    thanks for the reply but I started from scratch. no mysql or MP on the system.

Dave

argypak

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2007
    Berwick
    Home Country
    Also check that you have not ticked the box in the server to not record duplicate shows
    I don't know but it might be interfering

fdm225

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    Also check that you have not ticked the box in the server to not record duplicate shows
    I don't know but it might be interfering

Hi,
    thanks for the response but it is not checked. the logs of this show issue that when MP finds one of the streams (the audio stream I believe) and then goes to tune the other (video stream) it fails to find it and aborts. The issue then gets really weird, the tuner is now in a bad state where it will not tune the channel scheduled to be recorded at all (I actually have to tune to another channel and then back again and the channel works!). I feel there is a bug here but do know have the knowledge to debug it further. If there are any additional logs that I can collect or anyway I can help debug this issue I am willing to do it, please let me know how I can help!

thanks for the response again!
    Dave

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It seems this problem is very difficult to investigate. I would advise retesting in the upcoming RC2 since a lot has been fixed in recording scheduling and other parts. If it still occurs there please file a new bugreport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom