Not open for further replies.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    While you're at the rendering thing: If you keep the MP GUI idle for some time it reduces the frame rate to 5fps and you can't disable this
    => the consequence: Scrolling dialogs etc are very slow...

Can it not be disabled? Config -> GUI -> screensaver ???
    That has nothing to do with the issue. This is an additional setting in MP. Not related at all. The issue happens when the screensaver with a reduced frame rate is not active.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nope, definitely not ;) i hate using old drivers. And since this issue is caused by this rework, we should fix it
    I can trigger on MP 1.3.0 at will also on your system, now I know how and what causes it.

MP 1.3.0 has more load on the GPU on your system, that's why it did not clock down the GPU so fast.

And that is attributed to the FLIPEX mode with more back buffers mainly and using a pure device. Meaning MP can render ahead. GPU clocks down faster as it is idle longer.

This stuff works past 12.6 as well. Maybe you changed the values in the wrong area? I cannot tell without doing it on your system myself. Just change it and verify with GPU-Z. You will see it right away. Just set the values to the maximum of you GPU and you see easily if the settings were changed at the correct place. The profiles all look a bit different depending on the GPU itself.

Not sure about 13.4 yet. I think I last did it on 13.2.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This stuff works past 12.6 as well. Maybe you changed the values in the wrong area? I cannot tell without doing it on your system myself. Just change it and verify with GPU-Z. You will see it right away. Just set the values to the maximum of you GPU and you see easily if the settings were changed at the correct place. The profiles all look a bit different depending on the GPU itself.

Not sure about 13.4 yet. I think I last did it on 13.2.
    yeah, i'm sure it worked, but after doing a cleanup and trying to do it again, i simply didn't succeed. But still working on it, and i have some progress at the moment (read somewhere that the AMD Overdrive option needs to be enabled first) :)
    I had the default profile open in NoteEdit++, and after creating a profile (named it 'MediaPortal') and edit that (raised 2d clock to 150MHz), NotePad++ give me a hint that the default profile.xml was modified by another program, so i reloaded it, and guess what?? The default profile now has the 15000 setting! So maybe that does the trick. checked with GPU-Z, now it shows 150MHz clock speed. Just rebooted, went to desktop, checked clock speeds -> 150 MHz ;) since 150MHz doesn't fix the problem for me, i'll try 400 now, and if that works, i need to find the lowest clockspeed 'hotspot'.

** EDIT **
    OK, so first enable overdrive settings, then create a profile. Edit that profile manually and the settings will be copied to the 'default profile' xml ;)
    unchecking OverDrive settings drops idle speeds back to 100MHz, and after checking OverDrive again -> 400MHz is set again :)
    Started MP -> GUI @ 50FPS :D
    Now time to test that with some reboots and then find the sweetspot.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, that stuff is annoying sometimes, especially if CCC tries to put defaults back in based on some option that is disabled. Possible that there is some additional setting for it depending on the driver version. I simply don't remember and have no CCC currently available.

Maybe you need to start CCC once as an admin to have access to the additional controls...

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    And again i'm crying out loud.... :cry: I've set 400MHz as idle value, first time starting MP and GUi is great @ 50 FPS. Same after rebooting twice.
    Now somehow with starting @ 400MHz clockspeed still shows 32 FPS :( even tried setting clock to 650MHz (which is what it runs on when loaded) and that didn't even fix it :mad:
    Gonna try this now, changed default profile (idle clocks @ 400MHz), set read-only and overwrote default profile. Rebooting & testing...

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hey,
    I have an NVIDIA 460 / both screen / Both set to 60HZ on dev:
    stats give me 49.89 fps lol
    [2013-04-28 19:41:30,814] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - GraphicContext: MP will render at 60 FPS, use animations = False

Doing the same on my laptop (one screen) :
    stats give me around 60 fps
    [2013-04-28 19:43:30,814] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - GraphicContext: MP will render at 60 FPS, use animations = False

Ok it will surely not help but i can't get 60 fps.

I will try to disconnect my 2nd screen :)

Edit : With one screen MP1 windowed always @ 50 fps, it don't want to go to 60 fps :)

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm lost @Scythe42 and i'm not sure anymore if clock speeds are related to this. Made a picture for you, think it says enough...
    32FPS @ 400MHz idle clock.jpg

** EDIT **
    And just for the fun of it, just removed the adjusted profile, and restored all default values. Started MP -> 50 FPS :censored: (but i'm sure that'll go away in a while)...
    Need some food first, bbl

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This evening I had a black screen when resuming from S3.

- How many displays : 1
    - What resolution does each display use : 1920x1080
    - More than one GPU used : no
    - How are displays connected : hdmi
    - How are they positioned : in front of me ;-)
    - Where is the taskkbar positioned of Windows : bottom of screen
    - Screenshot of the whole windows desktop when it is wrong. Not just MP, that does not elp me. -> whole screen was black
    - Skin Used : Titan

The whole screen was black. Strg+alt+entf did not bring up the taskmanager, the screen stayed black.
    Standby+resume again made MePo visible. It was switched to window mode. I'm not sure, but I think that I have triggered that.
    Than I have exited it with Alt+F4.

I was not able to reproduce this.

I have added my log.

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, scythe
    Looking today, for Minidisplay don't turning off !
    i think it's now, an old bad dreams ....
    i post my logs for fun !
    Thanks !!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom