Settings configuration inside MP (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I think this will make MP more consumer friendly and bring it out of the nerd corner.

And I think there is no big reaction to this because people like the idea of being able to change setting out of MP, but they are not interested in version you nedd to build from github and test. This is something everyone will like, but noone would like to test it to get it working.

No question that this will make MP more consumer friendly, but to get it completely out of the nerd corner (lol) I think it'll need a GUI interface for channel management, like I've proposed https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/.../separate-app-freeview-dvb-t-scanning-104523/

Shameless plug for my idea I know, but I live in hope that someone will share my dream and take it up :D Anyway, please discuss it over there if you're interested as I don't want to hijack this thread ;)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I think this will make MP more consumer friendly and bring it out of the nerd corner.

And I think there is no big reaction to this because people like the idea of being able to change setting out of MP, but they are not interested in version you nedd to build from github and test. This is something everyone will like, but noone would like to test it to get it working.

No question that this will make MP more consumer friendly, but to get it completely out of the nerd corner (lol) I think it'll need a GUI interface for channel management, like I've proposed https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/.../separate-app-freeview-dvb-t-scanning-104523/

Shameless plug for my idea I know, but I live in hope that someone will share my dream and take it up :D Anyway, please discuss it over there if you're interested as I don't want to hijack this thread ;)

Hopefully with the work on the TV engine, it will be possible to do more of this within MP in the future.

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

I am about to start testing this.

However, can I just ask a couple of simple questions?

1. How many settings from Configuration.exe are not now within MediaPortal itself? (i.e. do we still need configuration.exe?)

2. Would we need to add/change any settings in configuration.exe before running MP, and is it possible/advisable to add a wizard for first run?

Mark

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I also wonder if the configuration.exe can be changed so that it doesn't force MP to close, as if the settings can be changed from within MP it shouldn't be necessary.

I can see configuration.exe still being handy from time to time for us techies, as it can be quicker to check and change multiple settings than using a remote and the MP GUI.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

First testing from me.

Looking great.

Most of the settings have * in front of them. Is that so we can see what is new?

The only thing that took me ages to work out was adding a folder. I didn't get the idea that you need to go through the menu items in turn.

Also, it wasn't obvious which folder I was selecting, since you can't focus on the select button and the folder at the same time.

I would suggest the following change to make it more intuitive.

1. Once you select 'add folder' you get the dialog asking you to choose the folder. Have a checkbox to the left of each folder so that you tick the folder you are going to choose.

2. Once you hit 'select', you then get the dialog asking you to give a name for the share.

3. Then you get the PIN dialog, with an option to skip this.

Would that be an easy change?

I hate to nit pick, but share configuration is such an important feature that we have to get it right. You've done a great job with these improvements.

Mark

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Hi,

I am about to start testing this.

However, can I just ask a couple of simple questions?

1. How many settings from Configuration.exe are not now within MediaPortal itself? (i.e. do we still need configuration.exe?)

Almost all. What missing are external player settings, specific codecs settings (PDVD, MPC..) and some parts from video database, music, remotes.. so yes we still need Windows part :).

2. Would we need to add/change any settings in configuration.exe before running MP, and is it possible/advisable to add a wizard for first run?

Mark

Currently yes or we need to radically change MP main startup up code part which is too complex for me right now.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Hi,

First testing from me.

Looking great.

Most of the settings have * in front of them. Is that so we can see what is new?

Nope, thats a mark for non translated strings in skin because we didn't agreed about some labels how they should be named so I tagged them with * to know what is missing in language xml.

The only thing that took me ages to work out was adding a folder. I didn't get the idea that you need to go through the menu items in turn.

Also, it wasn't obvious which folder I was selecting, since you can't focus on the select button and the folder at the same time.

1. Once you select 'add folder' you get the dialog asking you to choose the folder. Have a checkbox to the left of each folder so that you tick the folder you are going to choose.

2. Once you hit 'select', you then get the dialog asking you to give a name for the share.

I hate to nit pick, but share configuration is such an important feature that we have to get it right. You've done a great job with these improvements.

Mark

What is needed are name and path. OK, I can make one way entry which will ask name first and then path and PIN as optional.
    Concerning selecting folders as menu, that's the agreed way in internal forum how to do that. I'm not aware of any other GUI controls which can have list and buttons for every entry in the list. So, when you find a folder, left or right will jump to Select button and desired folder is in yellow color so it's visible which one was selected.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Mark

What is needed are name and path. OK, I can make one way entry which will ask name first and then path and PIN as optional.
    Concerning selecting folders as menu, that's the agreed way in internal forum how to do that. I'm not aware of any other GUI controls which can have list and buttons for every entry in the list. So, when you find a folder, left or right will jump to Select button and desired folder is in yellow color so it's visible which one was selected.

Okay, I would definitely select the folder first, and then add the name to the folder. Maybe that's just me.

With regard to the implementation, if you select the folder, 'right' does not jump to the select button, it jumps to the 'page' button at the bottom-right of the screen. That was what partly confused me.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Ah yes, you're right about page button, didn't noticed that before. Looks like I will need to change that behavior in menu GUI control or to create new one specially for GUI settings.

Ok, I will try to change that.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Added new installer which contains PIN protection. Still need to resolve left-right jump to Select button for folders browser :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom