Does anybody now which VFD driver i have to use for

Shuttle SG33G5M (VFD display 27) ???

Thanx!

arnear

Portal Member
July 25, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I also have trouble to get the External Display plugin working with the Shuttle SG33G5M. I don't want to use the MCE vfd plugin because of the limited output.

is there any progress to get the Shuttle SG33G5M VFD to work with Media portal?

dugaldcurtis

Portal Member
October 10, 2007
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Did either of you find a suitable driver to use? I have played around with it a bit but can't get anything working. I know that it is using a USB connection, and that it is a VFD (20 columns, 1 row) but can't find a model number or anything.

Has anyone had even limited functionality?

arnear

Portal Member
July 25, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Did either of you find a suitable driver to use? I have played around with it a bit but can't get anything working. I know that it is using a USB connection, and that it is a VFD (20 columns, 1 row) but can't find a model number or anything.

Has anyone had even limited functionality?
No, with the external display plugin there is no driver that works. only the MCE plugin is giving some output, but not alot. you only can see which menu you are in. if it can be changed to what's your selection you have it's going to be alot better so u can leave your tv off if you want to play some radio/music. maybe there is a way to customize the MCE plugin?

dugaldcurtis

Portal Member
October 10, 2007
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Where did you find the MCE plugin? I had a look around and couldn't find it. I suppose some output is better than nothing! What language are the modules written in? I would be interested in tinkering around in the source code.

FillR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 16, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Many thanks for allowing support of the shuttle :)

After some testing, I agree that to avoid the use of a TV or monitor, we need to be able to display the 2 lines on the display.

My second point is more annoying for me... I'm using the Shuttle xpctools not only to to use the VFD, but also to quiet the fan. My Shuttle has a fanless Power Unit and the BIOS settings for fans are too noisy, that's why xpctools is perfect allowing me to a nearly no noise machine.

Unfortunatly, using xpctools and minidisplay for PF27 together seems to incompatible. Do you know if you can update the driver to have both running ?

Thanks

pridehaveit

Portal Member
    April 7, 2008
    Kiel
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First of all i already have a test version of MiniDisplayLibrary that shows 2 lines on the display.
    I have to make a stable version of it so i can release it.

Second i would be interested to know what product your fanless power unit is?
    Because i still have the original power unit with the two noisy fans.

I have never tested to run XPC tools and the PF27 display driver at the same time.
    But i think normally only one application can use the display at the same time.
    What is the option you select in XPC tools to make your machine noiseless?

FillR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 16, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi pridehaveit,

The fanless power unit is the shuttle one: PC 62. Shuttle Europe - PC62 Works perfectly on my system: Core 2 Duo 6400, 2GB RAM, 2HDD 1GB SATA Green Power, 1 DVD Burner SATA, ATI 4550 Fanless + FireDTV connected through Firewire also powered by the shuttle. No Noise and no problem.

Of course, when you don't hear the Power Unit anymore, you hear the ICE Fan system, even in low or smart mode... At this point XPCTOOLS allows to control the ICE system very precisly.
    xpctools-fan.jpg

By tuning the temperature and the ratio, you can nearly have the system to be more than quiet, even if a bit hoter (80° for the CPU)

That's why xpctools is mandatory for me, unfortunatly, xpctools also control the VFD display and I'm not sure it's possible to disable it.

On a more general way, I will say this machine (SG33G5M) is absolutly perfect when working... but so unreliable (sometimes not booting, no way to connect 2 eSata external HDD, no way to buy a motherboard only, ...) that I will not recommend it to anyone... :(

Users who are viewing this thread