Sleeping (1 Viewer)

Dylan80

April 29, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
hi just got the up and running, streaming everything is perfect. while my htpc is suspended (s3) i cannot access the webportal at all, is there a solution to this? otherwise its no good to me :(

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you've turned your microwave off, are you surprised it doesn't heat your food?

If you suspend your HTPC to RAM (S3), everything except the RAM is powered off. So it's impossible to run WebMediaPortal (or any other application) in that state, since the network and CPU are turned off.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, you can wake your PC on Network traffic. Either let it wake on any packet or on the "Magic" Packet. In the first case your htpc will be awoken by any traffic in ist direction (will result on the htpc turining on more often and sometimes based on some Internet traffic) in the second case you need to be on the local net and have a wake-on-lan app (e.g. CouchPotato iPhone app does this) or have a router that can wake your PC (like Fritz.boxes can).

But basically Oxans answer is correct: If the PC is sleeping you have to wake it first ;-)

Dylan80

April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    thanks mbuzina for providing the only decent respectful answer, yes waking the htpc is obviously what i was refering to, just so the "less informed" posters know what we are talking about.

seriously Oxan, a dev on the official team...

jwe

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2011
    Germany/Hessen/MKK
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thanks mbuzina for providing the only decent respectful answer, yes waking the htpc is obviously what i was refering to, just so the "less informed" posters know what we are talking about.

don't be angry! You brought a laugher!

Your question was really misunderstandig as "Can i use this while it's turned off?"

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sorry, I didn't mean to let your faith in the team down, but you have to keep this in mind: in addition to personally creating and maintaining the biggest part of MPExtended, I've been answering support questions daily for the last two years. All in my free time, for very little personal benefit at all. To be honest, I don't even like it that much, I'd very much prefer writing code. But since I appreciate it that others answer when I ask them questions about their software, and no one else answers questions about MPExtended, I provide support for my own software. Add the sheer volume of questions to that, and it's impossible to put a lot of effort in every answer I give, especially when I'm having a bad day. When I get the same question for the tenth time, yes, that may result in a sarcastic answer. It's hard, I know, but you shouldn't take that personally.

Also, English isn't my first language (and I assume it isn't yours either), so it's easy for a miscommuncation to happen. Your second post makes it clear that you were referring to remotely waking up your PC, but my initial interpretation of your first post was that you wanted to use WebMediaPortal while your HTPC was suspended. Being explicit with the risk of over-explaning obvious things is always better than leaving things out, especially if you are asking others for support.

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi Dylan80, Oxan and others...

This is a good thread - questions, irony, and apologies... :LOL: Yes I know it and understand it... It's hard to decide if my server will run continuously or on request only. I use the second possibility. By my local MediaPortal clients isn't problem, there is a native solution - integrated WOL packet sending or obsolete but still well-functioning pair of software MPHSClient and HomeServer plugin. But MPExtended WebMediaPortal and his think cilent, it is another problem. There is two possible solution. First, permanently running server and second, as mbuzina wrote, WOL over Internet. As I wrote, I use the second possibility. Therefore based on my experience I recommend:
    1. solve WOL over internet (the corresponding router and port forwarding setup and static ARP table setup)
    2. use one of the number internet pages with WOL packet sending service (I use URL with parameters www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx?m=001FD097F8E5&i=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX&s=255.255.255.255&p=7 saved as bookmark, so wake of my server is just "one click" only - work perfect!)
    That is all. Do not be afraid of it. And do not be angry at Oxan. His work and patience is amazing and thanks for it. I say: "MPExtended WebMediaPortal is another dimension of MediaPortal."

JiRo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread