SOLVED VC-1 issues (VC1) (1 Viewer)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Re: VC-1 issues (VC1)

Here is a 10 seconds Interlaced VC-1 sample.

DOWNLOAD

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : VC-1
Format profile : AP@L3
Duration : 9s 876ms
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First

Thanks, but how i can reproduce playback issue with that sample? :(

BTW, can you try this one?
EDIT:
Above video is one with broken timestamps before, but now with latest SAF5 playback is perfect:
Here is proof (my first YouTube upload...)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

You want to reproduce Domb's issue?

If yes then you will have to use the Gabest VC-1 Loader.

You can download it from the link that Domb posted.

What this Loader does is simple, it connects itself between the source filter and the video decoder. In our case between the Gabest MpegSplitter and the PDVD Codec, so whenever you have {31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} as an output then the Loader will connect and then transform the output to {D979F77B-DBEA-4BF6-9E6D-1D7E57FBAD53} (i am not sure that this is the GUID it will output).

In any case those Loaders do not work smooth, some will output half the frame-rate some will stutter like hell and other will not connect to the video decoder at all. At least for me they never did work correctly.

In any case my theory is, and i would like to get a respond from a dev regarding this one, that MP actually doesn't force any codec when the media type is {31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, MP simply relies on DS merits at that point. This could explain why the VC-1 trick works under XP and why it doesn't under 7. So if we could introduce a new field into MP configuration, from which field we could force/select a codec for VC-1 (the same way we do it for H.264) then maybe we can get VC-1i under 7 the same way that MPC-HC does.

P.S. Now that i think of it, maybe this is what miroslav22 already did.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

Hi :)

Can you try this one :)
    Seb

Bingo!
    Now it is working with PDVD - enabled/disabled DxVA and with perfect timestamps ! :)
    And it still continue to work with FFDshow.
    So the question is - why MPC MPEG splitter didnt output WVC1 to {D979F77B-DBEA-4BF6-9E6D-1D7E57FBAD53} by default?

You want to reproduce Domb's issue?

If yes then you will have to use the Gabest VC-1 Loader.

You can download it from the link that Domb posted.

What this Loader does is simple, it connects itself between the source filter and the video decoder. In our case between the Gabest MpegSplitter and the PDVD Codec, so whenever you have {31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} as an output then the Loader will connect and then transform the output to {D979F77B-DBEA-4BF6-9E6D-1D7E57FBAD53} (i am not sure that this is the GUID it will output).

In any case those Loaders do not work smooth, some will output half the frame-rate some will stutter like hell and other will not connect to the video decoder at all. At least for me they never did work correctly.

In any case my theory is, and i would like to get a respond from a dev regarding this one, that MP actually doesn't force any codec when the media type is {31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, MP simply relies on DS merits at that point. This could explain why the VC-1 trick works under XP and why it doesn't under 7. So if we could introduce a new field into MP configuration, from which field we could force/select a codec for VC-1 (the same way we do it for H.264) then maybe we can get VC-1i under 7 the same way that MPC-HC does.

P.S. Now that i think of it, maybe this is what miroslav22 already did.

Yes, but the loader broke timestamps, so it is useless ...

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Seb

Bingo!
    Now it is working with PDVD - enabled/disabled DxVA and with perfect timestamps ! :)
    And it still continue to work with FFDshow.
    So the question is - why MPC MPEG splitter didnt output WVC1 to {D979F77B-DBEA-4BF6-9E6D-1D7E57FBAD53} by default?

Yes, but the loader broke timestamps, so it is useless ...

Nice, i don't know why it stay with this, in the patch, i have change also part for mpc video decoder to match the new guid.
    and in the code we have 2 GUID values : WVC1 {31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} and wvc1 {31637677-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

I only change the one for WVC1 :)
    I hope it's OK.
    Seb.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

Cause {D979F77B-DBEA-4BF6-9E6D-1D7E57FBAD53} is not the universal GUID for VC-1.

In any case i am glad we have a solution now. I will try it tomorrow on my windows 7 pc.

Though i think we still need a different approach. Cause i don't think that Sebasti is going to compile a new MpegSpliter each time it gets updates by the MPC-HC team.

I still think we should be able to select codecs for VC-1 under MP configuration.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

Seb

Success! Blu-ray playback perfect using Cyberlink decoder and Gabest splitter for Interlaced and Progressive content :) straight m2ts playback in MediaPortal with Gabest perfect (same as Blu-ray obviously).

MKV's (VC-1i/p) working with Microsoft DMO (were anyway).

Any chance you can make the filter work to allow PDVD codec for MKV as well? MediaPortal can't use it for some reason.

Well done all in the thread!

I still think we should be able to select codecs for VC-1 under MP configuration.

Agreed. Especially if Blu-ray playback is going to be intergrated at some point either by a Blu-ray Handler type solution or anything else.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Seb

Success! Blu-ray playback perfect using Cyberlink decoder and Gabest splitter for Interlaced and Progressive content :) straight m2ts playback in MediaPortal with Gabest perfect (same as Blu-ray obviously).

MKV's (VC-1i/p) working with Microsoft DMO (were anyway).

Any chance you can make the filter work to allow PDVD codec for MKV as well? MediaPortal can't use it for some reason.

Well done all in the thread!

Agreed. Especially if Blu-ray playback is going to be intergrated at some point either by a Blu-ray Handler type solution or anything else.

I'm not a dev but i try lol
    Can you try this one for Matroska Splitter, it should work now.
    Thanks,
    Seb.

Attachments

• MatroskaSplitter(guid_PDVD)v1.rar
      698.4 KB

nevcairiel

Portal Member
    March 1, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi guys,

i created a test version of LAV Splitter which disables the VC-1 timestamp fixing code (which is required for ffdshow and the MS DMO decoder). In my short test on the one VC-1i sample i had here, it did seem to work better with the PDVD10 decoder.

If this works for you, i'll add an option in the LAV Splitter Config to disable the VC-1 timestamp correction (or possibly even detect that based on the media type, not sure if that works reliably). Have to get rid of those evil Gabest splitters and their bugs. ;)

Anyway, here it is:
    LAVSplitter-0.17-vc1.zip

This is a build of 0.17 with the timestamp correction off, and without all the usual other files because i'm not at my usual dev pc to package stuff. :p

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006

I'm happy with the filter fix to be honest. Works with Blu-ray handler and theres no issues with Haali for MKVs and most filters anyway.

Sebastiii I'll try your MKV to PDVD filter tonight if I get around to it!

I'll try and get all this info into a guide along with a few other important fixes I've found hidden around the forum :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom