[confirm] Some TV channels stutter (heavily)/look "flawed" (1 Viewer)

Arn01805

Portal Pro
July 31, 2006
Breda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
tourettes

I'm sure it's not always bad signal. In my case this issue started after installing RC3, just with the same video continuity errors. I never experienced bad receiption before. I have two DVB-C tuners and one DVB-S2; all Digital Everywhere FireDTV. Both FireDTV-C and FireDTV-S2 started the discontinuity errors after upgrade to RC3.

As I have described before, I solved it with uninstalling the tvserver, restarting the tvserver and turning off and on of the FireDTV and after this, installed the tvserver again. I didn't touch any of my antenna cables or sat cables.

I can imagine, something gets mixed up in the BDA driver or in the FireDTV's internal memory, that, after restarting the operating system and powercycling(turning off and on of the unit) the firedtv gets solved.

Question is; are all users who experience this issue users of digital everywhere products. As written before in this thread, most users solved the video discontinuity errors by reinstallation of tvserver (and probably restarting the computer and or powercycle the tuners)

There is a strange issue going on here. I'm not telling it's in the mediaportal tvserver software, maybe it's a combination of MP tvserver/bda driver(maybe specific version; i'm using latest on windows 7 32 bit)/dtv tuner.

I'm hoping people can recover from this by the instructions i provided.

And last: Tourettes and all the other developers working on MP, thanks for your great work on the mediaportal project! MP rules!

Kakskiv

Portal Member
January 16, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
@ tourettes
Hey, thanks man! I removed the coax surge protector (actually my 3rd one) and now it looks very nice! I only get artefact's when using ATI AVIVO with "Edge enhancement" and "De-noise", but that has nothing to do with MP.
:D

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I see frame rate drops (stuttering) at random places in playback. Seems to occur most in panning scenes. Does not appear to be recording related, as not always present in the same part of playback.

1080i h.264 playback.

Not sure if this is the same issue being discussed in this thread. Logs attached.

This is in 1.1 RC4

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I see frame rate drops (stuttering) at random places in playback. Seems to occur most in panning scenes. Does not appear to be recording related, as not always present in the same part of playback.

1080i h.264 playback.

Not sure if this is the same issue being discussed in this thread. Logs attached.

Stuttering during panning is often a sign of frame rate mis match. I see you are form NZ and you 1080i content is 25Hz. What refresh rate is your display set to? Hopefully 50Hz.

Also, are you using Direct X video acceleration (DXVA)?

I see you have thumbnail creation on. I find that spikes the cpu randomly with NZ Freeview content more often than not fail to create the thumbnail.

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Stuttering during panning is often a sign of frame rate mis match. I see you are form NZ and you 1080i content is 25Hz. What refresh rate is your display set to? Hopefully 50Hz.

Also, are you using Direct X video acceleration (DXVA)?

I see you have thumbnail creation on. I find that spikes the cpu randomly with NZ Freeview content more often than not fail to create the thumbnail.

I did have thumbs off in 1.0.2, which does not have the problem. Are thumbs created in the middle of playback?!?

I am using 50Hz refresh. Not sure about DXVA, but I believe so. Codec is a cyberlink one from Powercinema. The problem does not seem to occur with 1.0.2, although it is early days, I'm just finishing a complete rebuild.

KoalaTNR

Portal Member
    January 8, 2010
    I've the same problem. Stuttering on SD channels. No Stuttering on HD channels. Refresh rate is 50Hz. Resolution 1080p.

1.0.2 on XP - no stuttering

1.1.0 RC3 on XP - stuttering
    1.1.0 RC4 on XP - stuttering

1.1.0 RC3 on Win7 - stuttering
    1.1.0 RC4 on Win7 - stuttering

When I use DVBViewer there is no stuttering.

divxmaster

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you using dual screen setup?
    User Vasko noticed that if you have MP on the 'secondary' screen, the fix is if you tick in config 'MP always on top', then the stuttering goes away.
    I was getting every second frame dropped (from evr.log), once I set it to always on top, no stuttering, no dropped frames.
    It would be great if other users could test this.

Cheers,
    Divxmaster

KoalaTNR

Portal Member
    January 8, 2010
    Currently I'm using a single screen setup. I've enabled "keep always on top". I've also enabled "autmatic refresh rate changing".

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In my case I installed 1.1rc4 and 1.0.2 on the same base OS image.

1.1rc4 stutters, 1.0.2 not.

I do not have keep on top enabled, unless this is the default.

divxmaster

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    dale77, thats good to hear, I was going to image back to 1.0.2 and test, but you have saved me (us) the trouble.
    I had no problems under 1.0.2, even when playing a 1080p BD5 Bluray (with avivo) and at the same time encoding an
    x264 with all four cores at 100% cpu. no stutters.

Note the 'always on top' setting only seems to fix stutters on DUAL screen setups.

cheers
    Divxmaster

p.s., lots of kiwis around here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom