Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I use an SSD for my OS, MS SQL Database, and more importantly the programdata area (this has all the thumbs, cache, etc) in there. So when flicking through screens the response is great.

I then have HDDs for recording, movies, music, pictures, etc (due to the amount of space required - and these don't need the instant response of an SSD)

You could also use the SSD for timeshifting too (although I use a RAM drive, the SSD will be fine)

J.

messo001

Portal Member
    July 11, 2009
    Hi,
    Boot time is not everything - as Guzzi stated - it is also quietness and general improved GUI responsiveness.
    I can only recommend using SSD.

It seems you have used a HDD before. What are the comparative values, i.e. vs boot times, vs MP startup times and vs GUI responsiveness?! Would be great to have a rough comparison.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I didn't measure this and didn't have time to compare with my old HDD. I can only say that the difference is substantial (10-15 seconds I guess). I use S3, so the wake-up time with "restart MP after stand-by" turned on takes 4-5 seconds including update of RSS news.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: SSD recommendation

For me, the reason to go to SSD was a certain situation: When opening a listview in a plugin with lot's of entries, it took very long (50-60 secs), mostly because each thumb was accessed once. After changing to SSD the same access is down to 2-3 seconds.
    So whereever you have lots of fileaccess, you win a lot. If CPU is the limiting factor, you win nothing.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Its like comparing a bicycle with a car - You can get there a lot faster but you still might not enjoy the party :)

messo001

Portal Member
    July 11, 2009
    I didn't measure this and didn't have time to compare with my old HDD. I can only say that the difference is substantial (10-15 seconds I guess). I use S3, so the wake-up time with "restart MP after stand-by" turned on takes 4-5 seconds including update of RSS news.

cheers kesar, that's very impressive.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Thank you but all the credit goes to... SSD inventors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom