SSD recommendation (2 Viewers)

F

freddehboy

Hi

I am like to bay the SDD Corsair F60?

I am wondering if the ssd it the correct drive to choose?

A couple of question:
1.) It is worth it, way?
2.) Can I choose to use the thimeshift at my ssd and the recording and more at the original HDD?

Anwer asap, please?
Best // Fredrik

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    my suggestion goes to Crucial C300 64 GB
    have it in HTPC as system drive for Win7, instalation without any problems.

good value and tested OK
    OCZ have bad reputation changing components without warning, selling diffenet types of SSDs under same label

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    :confused: I do not have a thread about problems with it. I would know about, I guess :confused:

one guy asked if his c300 could be a problem with timeshifting, and I reported that mine works good, tested. I guess he had some AHCI/SATA/IDE/Chipset problems, nothing to do with SSD

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    my suggestion goes to Crucial C300 64 GB

The 64GB version of the C300 has poor write speeds (about 75MB/s), if you know you're going to be doing a lot of reading with it, then it will be fine, otherwise you'd be better off going for one of the Sandforce drives as they have a better balance between reading and writing, so something like the OCZ Vertex 2E or Corsair F60.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    The 64GB version of the C300 has poor write speeds (about 75MB/s), if you know you're going to be doing a lot of reading with it, then it will be fine, otherwise...

yes I read 120 GB tests before buying, did not know the 64 gb would make difference. But using MP means a lot of reading, not writing, and the system performs quite good. The 75 MB/sec would be enough for 3 HD Channels timeshifting the same time....

something interesting to topic:
    Windows 7 (or Server 2008) should be used with SSDs as it is the ony Win OS with TRIM support. This looks very important for SSDs for long-term good performance. So must the SSD support TRIM too. Windows XP and Vista cannot do TRIM. If SSD is used for Timeshift, this can be even more important. As I did further research, it is important to use the Windows stock msahci driver for the AHCI controller to get optimal TRIM results.

A lot of sources say that SSD<120GB cannot achieve optimal write performance, as the controller can be optimal used above this border. And this is the same for all SSDs. So if you want to get the maximal performance, you should go for a 120 GB Version.

As some mentioned the poor write speed of Crucial C300, here are some benchmarks (Intel vs Crucial C300 vs OCZ Vertex, practically comparison of 3 controllers) of 60 GB SSDs:
    http://itshootout.com/r-347/crucial-realssd-c300-64gb-review/p/2/
    it shows that the sequential write speed alone (measured with syntehtic tests) does not reflect the true performance of an SSD in the real life. Like the OCZ Vertex ended up last way behind the other two in a complex HDD Benchmark.

So my reviewed recommendation goes to: buy what you want ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom